questions from first timers

erikmissy

Hello, we are planing our first cruise ever! We are looking at Sovereign of the Seas in mid Sept., but have some questions.

Is Sept a bad month due to storms/hurricanes?

We are also concerned that there will not be a good kids program since most are in school at that time. Our daughter will be 9 and doesn't play video games. She likes arts/crafts, water and is highly active/adventures

Any help/recommendations of other ships, and tips are appreciated! We have looked at Disney but they are so much more.

Welcome to Cruise Critics! The Sovereign is a great choice to start out with, and you will be so hooked! Then before you know it, you'll be sailing on the bigger ships, and be hooked even more!

Sailing in September is no more risky than sailing any other month of hurricane season. Living in FL most of my life, hurricanes are a hit or miss anytime during the summer, not just in September. Rarely is a cruise cancelled, although a port stop might be changed. Yes, the seas may be a bit rougher, but the ships are not going to sail anywhere there is a danger to the passengers, the crew, or the ship.

I have sailed in September, and October, and other months in between. We have had warm sunny days with smooth seas, and some cloudy, rainy cruises with lots of rocking and rolling. All cruises are great cruises, in my opinion, and the only way to really take a vacation.

Sorry that I do not have any info on the kids programs, but the Family Cruising forum can give you lots more info on kids programs.

Happy cruising!

Our favorite time to cruise is September / October! We have gotten lucky and have not been affected by a hurricane when we have sailed during those months! We have always had the best weather! One thing I always do is buy travel insurance through a outside company incase something happens. Like if bad weather causes our flight to be delayed or if cruise is cancelled do to a hurricane hitting the departure port!

Hello, we are planing our first cruise ever! We are looking at Sovereign of the Seas in mid Sept., but have some questions.

We are also concerned that there will not be a good kids program since most are in school at that time. Our daughter will be 9 and doesn't play video games. She likes arts/crafts, water and is highly active/adventures

Any help/recommendations of other ships, and tips are appreciated! We have looked at Disney but they are so much more.

Which ports do you consider reachable to sail from? What part of GA? We take a close look at all of FLA's ports because most are easily flyable or driveable from the Southeast. That might help us to recommend ships.

Kids are will taken care of on RCCL no matter when. Check out Adventure Ocean as it has many thing for kids to do not gaming related. They have alot of arts and crafts for kids. I have a 9 year old as well. As far as hurricanes, being from SW. Fla I have never had a hurricane cause me any problems. You can take out insurance to protect your cruise from weather related issues. We love Majesty if you are looking for a recommendation on ships. As far as tips go. You can pre-pay or pay on the last nite. Prepay is usually done on credit card before the cruise or cash on the last nite of your cruise. I wont do prepay again as our service in the dining room was terrible. Enjoy:D

Sept. can be active for hurricanes, but it just depends on the season....some years have more than others. If there are any storms, keep in contact with the cruise line. They may change itineraries to avoid rough seas....just go with the flow, and enjoy wherever they take you.

The kids programs are year round. Check out the cruise line web site for activities by age group.

Thanks CLQ, We are a bit south of ATl (McDonough) and would drive to any port in FL except Miami, Could also just as easily drive to Mobile.

We're a few minutes away from you in Midtown. So far we've flown for all our cruises, but we may be more averse to driving than most. Port Canaveral is a reachable port, as is Tampa I suppose. I haven't checked, but Mariner of the Seas has been running out of Canaveral and is an incredible Voyager-class ship. I keep wishing RCI would get going out of Jacksonville. Ft Lauderdale is a fairly cheap flight, and Enchantment and Navigator run out of there I believe. If you're looking at flights, factor in Orlando and West Palm just to check price.

Sept isnt a bad month at all, March seems to be my favorite! I see plenty of kiddos everywhere, I promise your not the only one pulling kids out of school! Theres plenty for them to do! RCI has a great kids program and i guarentee she will have a blast!

We won't have to pull out from school, we have the week off as a fall break! We also get a winter break next week! We like to use that one for ski/board trips!

Love your home state by the way!

Thanks, but its supposed to snow tonight! Gah I cant wait for my cruise in march! lol

I cruised the Freedom last September without issue. I will say that September is prime hurricane whether, but the cruise prices adjust to accommodate for this added risk. I was sweating it for awhile, but again, I had a great time and good weather.

You won't be the only one with kids on the ship. Believe me, I saw a copious number of kids, and the kids program is quite good from what I heard.

as far as hurricane season, unless you're booked on a ship supposed to leave New Orleans, and then Hurrican Katrina hits a month before, you should be good (can you tell I'm still bitter ?;)). Even if that happens, they rebook you and then give you Onboard credit to make up for it :)

Worst that can happen from everything I've read is you drive around in big circles, miss all your port calls, and spend the money you booked on excursions (assuming you did them through the ship) on liquor :)

Archived