Dress Code

jazzbabe

:mad::eek: Any one else dismayed at the slipping of standards with P&O?

First ''no ties'' no semi formal nights and now Jeans are ok for casual nights.

To me part of the fun of cruising is dressing up--and for people who don't there is the Ocean Village!:confused:

But they don't always dress according to the code, and, more importantly the staff on board don't enforce it - hence I saw jeans on an informal night once last year. I feel those of us who care about this need to make our feelings known to P&O via the onboard quentionaires. These do definately get read on board. If you don't want to dress up, then choose another line!

I wholeheartedly agree Ships Cat. We experienced exactly the same aboard Aurora in June last year. Officers sitting in Anderson's clearly seeing people inappropraitely dressed and just ignoring it.

This is an issue that will not go away.

Andrew

When we were on Oriana last October one of the men on our table had not realised that an Informal Night meant Jacket and tie. When he tried to go to the Crow's Nest for a drink he was turned away. He tried another bar and was told he could not be served as he was not wearing the correct dress for the evening. Maybe it depends on how good the individual ship is at enforcing the dress code.

On our recent cruise by far the majority of passengers conformed. I didn't see any jeans on a smart casual night and the women were really dressed up on a smart casual evening.

Annie

When we were on Oriana last October one of the men on our table had not realised that an Informal Night meant Jacket and tie.

And, to be honest, if I hadn't stumbled across the definition of 'informal dress' before my first Celebrity cruise, I wouldn't have know that either. It can be confusing for the first-timer.

• 2 weeks later...

On the information booklet for Ventura N802 (the cruise previously known as "Maiden") the informal is called "Semi-Formal"

The label I agree with. However I find it ironic considering that the old informal code called for ties to be worn whilst "smart-shirts can be worn without a tie".

How can a gentlemen look smart at dinner if he doesn't wear a tie?

To me part of the fun of cruising is dressing up--and for people who don't there is the Ocean Village!:confused:

"But they don't always dress according to the code, and, more importantly the staff on board don't enforce it - hence I saw jeans on an informal night once last year. I feel those of us who care about this need to make our feelings known to P&O via the onboard quentionaires. These do definately get read on board. If you don't want to dress up, then choose another line!"

I agree with everyone !!! Bring back more formal & informal nights. So many companies are letting the informal nights change to smart casual but then that standard starts to slip.

P & O I hope will stcik to their 2 formal,2 informal & 3 casual evry week and not change and enforce the dress code.

But you have to fly to get on an Ocean village cruise, sailing from and back to Southampton is often the decider for people when going with P&O, not necessarily the dress code

Mossie

"But they don't always dress according to the code, and, more importantly the staff on board don't enforce it - hence I saw jeans on an informal night once last year. I feel those of us who care about this need to make our feelings known to P&O via the onboard quentionaires. These do definately get read on board. If you don't want to dress up, then choose another line!"

I agree with everyone !!! Bring back more formal & informal nights. So many companies are letting the informal nights change to smart casual but then that standard starts to slip.

P & O I hope will stcik to their 2 formal,2 informal & 3 casual evry week and not change and enforce the dress code.

The wife and I are booked on Ventura in October for our first cruise, there are a number of things that attract us to cruising, one of them being the dressing up.

I worked in an Industry before I retired whereby I had to wear a Suit & Tie. After I officially retired I got a Job with another company in the same industry who's dress code was open neck shirt and a jumper, I never did feel fully dressed. When I wore a shirt and tie for work, the minute I put the tie on I was in work mode, but I can assure you I will not be working on the cruise.

"But you have to fly to get on an Ocean village cruise, sailing from and back to Southampton is often the decider for people when going with P&O, not necessarily the dress code

Mossie"

Or even try Princess, NCL, RCI - all now sailing from the UK.

The wife and I are booked on Ventura in October for our first cruise, there are a number of things that attract us to cruising, one of them being the dressing up.

I worked in an Industry before I retired whereby I had to wear a Suit & Tie. After I officially retired I got a Job with another company in the same industry who's dress code was open neck shirt and a jumper, I never did feel fully dressed. When I wore a shirt and tie for work, the minute I put the tie on I was in work mode, but I can assure you I will not be working on the cruise.

Hi Becky-faye

Here here again!!. You are on the same cruise as us in October and we will definately be sticking to the dress code including our grandaughters. Part of the magic of cruising is the dressing for dinner.

Pat

Was on the Aurora - SanFrancisco to Auckland (sector of world cruise) and thought that the standards of dress were the worst yet! The clothes some people wore on casual night were so bad I would only wear them to do gardening in!

I found it appalling that passengers wearing shorts / T shirts / sandals were allowed in the restaurant and in Cafe Bordeaux at lunchtime.

I'm sorry that you were appalled by relaxed dress code at lunch times in the main restaurants (& Cafe Bordeaux) at lunchtimes.

In the time I have cruised with P&O (since 1990) the day time code has always been more relaxed with only singlets, swimwear, abbreviated shorts, torn clothes, night attire, underwear (only) and bare feet being banned from the main restaurants during the day (breakfast & lunch).

In the deck restaurants a wrap over swimwear is required and only bare feet, night attire and underwear (only) being banned.

Can someone tell me what the pattern for the dress code will be on Ventura's October transatlantic? Do women get very dressed up for the evening, by that I mean full length glitter rather than cocktail? What is meant by informal and will there be any on this cruise? This is our first P & O, been a couple of times on Ocean Village and Carnival. Carnival had 2 formal nights in week long cruise, although it was optional most people entered into the spirit of the evenings. Sorry for all the questions, but I am rather confused!

Can someone tell me what the pattern for the dress code will be on Ventura's October transatlantic? Do women get very dressed up for the evening, by that I mean full length glitter rather than cocktail? What is meant by informal and will there be any on this cruise? This is our first P & O, been a couple of times on Ocean Village and Carnival. Carnival had 2 formal nights in week long cruise, although it was optional most people entered into the spirit of the evenings. Sorry for all the questions, but I am rather confused!

Hi StLucia,

I am going on the same cruise as you! It is my understanding that there are no informal nights on this cruise as it involves a flight. But it normally means cocktail dress for ladies and suit and tie for the blokes. We have not cruised with P&O before, but from what I've read most people stick to the dress code. There will be 4 formal nights where tuxes are not uncommon and the ladies will either wear full length gowns or cocktail dresses depending on preference. The rest of the evenings will be smart casual.

We love dressing for dinner and will take full advantage of the formal nights, with me taking my formal kilt atire.

I hope that helps.

Eddie

Flying is a red herring.

I flew to the Caribbean. I had both a black and white DJ, a suit, and a jacket. I had shoes to match. I was not able to take my swim fins but there was no need for any significant compromise. Our combined allowance was 40kg we boarded with just 32kg.

Thank you Supered that does help. I was unsure whether there would be any informal as we will be leaving from Southampton.

PN - I am concerned about weight for the return flight. We have 25Kg each, when we went on Carnival we flew with Virgin and had double that!

Has anyone any tips on packing evening dresses? On our last trip my best dress was very creased during the flight out and when I tried to press it in the on board laundry it fell on the wet floor and was ruined!

Buy dresses that don't crease!!!

I have bought a Phase8 dress this year, and it isn't one that creases!!

Sorry, not much help! Some say if you hang your dress in the bathroom and run a hot shower, the steam will help creases drop out?

Sue

I lay all my evening stuff across the suitcase and then fold all together so the bottom one is folded over the top one if you see what I mean. Layer with tissue paper too and it shouldn't crease. Hanging your dress in the bathroom when showering does work too. I do try and choose evening wear with a view to packing for cruises - no linen - lots of chiffon and light fabrics. Hope this helps.

Just found out on another thread that they don't weigh the cases in Barbados on the return. They cage them up when they leave the ship and take them straight to the plane. That's the weight problems solved!

My partner and myself and two frineds are going on the oceana on 20/4/08 and have told our two friends that they must get dinner suits as dressing up is part of the cruise. We have always dressed accordingly and think more people should respect the dress code. Anyone else going on this cruise.

Archived