the new ha site sucks

nurseblissful

I booked a cruise thru VTG O\on Jan 25th for March 16. Received an email from VTG Feb 1st stating that they were shipping the docs. Received them Feb 4. The package that I received from DHL had the shipper as VTG. In the past I have always received my docs from VTG, not HAL. Maybe its your travel agent.

I'm having trouble viewing the deck plans to find cabin numbers. If I increase the size of the plan to be readable, I can only get the first third. Anybody have any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?
Same here, almost. When they're large enough for me to read easily I've lost the last third. Break out the magnifying glass! :)

Loathe the new web site!!!!!!!!

So, I go to "log in." Type my username and password 5 times and continually get error prompts....wrong username, wrong password. I then have them send me my password, thinking I must be having a mental lapse. They send me the password I've been typing in for 5 attempts!!!

I haven't been back since....my ship may sail without me as I can't look up my information.

Loathe the new web site!!!!!!!!

So, I go to "log in." Type my username and password 5 times and continually get error prompts....wrong username, wrong password. I then have them send me my password, thinking I must be having a mental lapse. They send me the password I've been typing in for 5 attempts!!!

I haven't been back since....my ship may sail without me as I can't look up my information.

:D Welcome to the club. The solution is "re-registering" using the same login information as before. Your old info will magically reappear.

Where did they get their IT people from?

I do not like the new website. I was unable to checkin online without first registering with a username and password. In the past, I just needed the booking number and the last name. The problem is that I am travelling with 7 other passengers who never sailed with HAL before and are not "web/online" savvy. It looks like I have to find 7 email addresses and 7 passwords just to check them in online!

I guess "keep trying" is the best advice to offer. I tried for several days to print boarding passes for our two bookings, but with no luck. Then last night ... voila ... everything went fine.

In time they should have the bugs out of it.

It looks like I have to find 7 email addresses and 7 passwords just to check them in online!
Have you tried logging in first and then using just their booking numbers and names to do their On-Line Check-In forms? I'm not sure that would work, but it might. :confused:

I still can't log in. I've tried re-registering at least 10 times but always get nothing. Otherwise, I like the new web site, what I can see of it. I have received no emails from HAL for the last week or so.

This new site was definitely designed by a computer programmer and without much input from an end user. I think the old site was much more user friendly.

John

I wish had a dollar for every "new and improved" site that could be said about.:mad:

I'm having trouble viewing the deck plans to find cabin numbers. If I increase the size of the plan to be readable, I can only get the first third. Anybody have any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

I was having the same difficulty. When you view the deck plans and have zoomed in, use your mouse to left click and hold, you can move the deck plans around to view the entire deck. Hope that helps.

Dan

And yet again we find that iceman93 is apparently very different from the typical CC HAL poster... I really like the new website. I think it is attractive, logically laid out, easy to navigate, and much more reliable than the old one (of course time will tell on that last point, but I could never browse the old site for more than 30 minutes without the whole thing going down).

Could it be that CC HAL posters are just an extremely change-resistant lot?

Only when a lot of the features that I used to like have disappeared. :mad: The biggest single thing that is now broken is Search. I used to be able to find pages on a wide variety of subjects. Since the new site started I have not been able to find anything with Search! No matter what keyword(s) I use, the answer is always

Your search - {...} - did not match any documents.

No pages were found containing "{...}".

Suggestions:

• Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
  • Try different keywords.
  • Try more general keywords.

(And yes, I am logged in.)

I found that after you zoom to a size that is readable you can "click and drag" the deck plan around in the window to view the part you want to see. Hope this helps.

Bryan & Candi

Only when a lot of the features that I used to like have disappeared. :mad: The biggest single thing that is now broken is Search. I used to be able to find pages on a wide variety of subjects. Since the new site started I have not been able to find anything with Search! No matter what keyword(s) I use, the answer is always

Your search - {...} - did not match any documents.

No pages were found containing "{...}".

Suggestions:

• Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
  • Try different keywords.
  • Try more general keywords.

(And yes, I am logged in.)

I like the new site as well as Iceman, but ... yes, the search doesn't search. I entered "awards" - nothing. Went to the Press page and there were years of awards listed.

I agree that the new site is one of the most user unfriendly sites I've ever attempted to use. If you are a "computer" person and think as a programer does, it might make sense.

I find it to be a PAIN to try to use!!! I just gave up when I tried to locate my new booking.

One word for it:

UGH!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

If the change makes it easier to use and more efficient, then great, but...

Might be that most of us aren't computer "techies" and don't think in computer "logic" or jargo.... just crusiers who like to find info simply without taking on the persona of a computer programmer! (JMHO)

I booked a cruise thru VTG O\on Jan 25th for March 16. Received an email from VTG Feb 1st stating that they were shipping the docs. Received them Feb 4. The package that I received from DHL had the shipper as VTG. In the past I have always received my docs from VTG, not HAL. Maybe its your travel agent.

Yup, it is. I called AAA and they checked with HAL. HAL sent the docs to the AAA center in Fremont, Ca. My original AAA rep is no longer with them so the new one said she would follow through on Monday if the center is open (Presidents Day) or Tuesday. I will be calling daily:D

HEY, I'm a geek, and back on Sunday on this thread (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=711522) I was saying "um, sorry.... maybe it's just me... but... this emperor dude isn't wearing any clothes!" I still think the design of this website is very poor...

MichellP,

I didn't say "the geeks" I said "their geeks" meaning HAL's geeks, not us. I earned the geek title decades ago!

(Geek credentials diversion: I've been using computers for 38 years. That is not a typo. As a senior in H.S. in 1970, I and two others enrolled in a new class about computers. We learned Basic and Fortran, as this was even before COBOL; a few years later, I married a woman who became a COBOL systems analyst. In our high school class, we had a modulator/demodulator that hooked us via phone line to the mainframe at the University of Oregon and via which we could send data by punched yellow paper tape at about 20 baud -- not 20K baud, 20 baud. We got tired of calling the device by its full name and shortened it to "mod-demod." Many years later, I heard for the first time someone call it a modem, which at the time was a device just screaming along at 14.4K baud! :D ).

I was just pointing out that HAL's technical folks probably fell into a common pitfall -- it's a logical, pretty site site, but I think they've lost track of what and who it is for. It seems like they designed it for them and other geeks, and I think they might have lost track of the fact that its purpose is to sell cruises to the general public. If the general public doesn't like or use the site, they won't buy cruises.

(Another geek diversion -- you know, if I had had that kind of business insight in 1970, I might have been in the garage with Bill Gates and Paul Allen...oh, well.)

Yes, I can navigate HAL's new site, but not as fast as before, for what I want the site to do.

Dave

I have gotten so fed up with the limitations on the new site I wrote them with a suggestion that they review the comments on this thread. No response. :( I must assume that HAL IT is more pleased with making a geek fun site than a passenger friendly one.

I have gotten so fed up with the limitations on the new site I wrote them with a suggestion that they review the comments on this thread. No response. :( I must assume that HAL IT is more pleased with making a geek fun site than a passenger friendly one.

I agree that the new site is one of the most user unfriendly sites I've ever attempted to use. If you are a "computer" person and think as a programer does, it might make sense.

I find it to be a PAIN to try to use!!! I just gave up when I tried to locate my new booking.

One word for it:

UGH!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I couldn't agree more! I just tried to do a few simple things, like load a virtual tour of the Zaandam and price a couple coastal cruises and even just that was slow and agonizing.

I'm a bit of a 'techie', but this is form over function. Also, when will HAL stop using that AWFUL fake, computer edited photo of the Zaandam??? Go to the Zaandam page to see what I mean!

Archived