HMC Clam Shells - What's Up?

Sailor Gal

On the HAL shore excursions a clam shell rental is described as shade thata covers two lounge chairs. How does this work? If you "book" a clam shell do you get an assigned one that includes two chairs or is it first come first served? The description doesn't have any details.

What happens is you get a coupon when you reserve your clamshell from the Shore Excursion office. Once on HMC you go to a booth where someone will take your coupon and either give you the pole that erects the clamshell or accompanies you to the clamshell of your choice and erects it for you. You need to get the pole in order to use the clamshell. Otherwise it lies flat on the sand. It is first come first served for the location.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be at Half Moon Cay for the first time next month. I have booked a clamshell. My question is, can you move your chairs out in front of the clamshell when you want sun and back in when you don't? Or will there be other people in chairs directly in front of you so that there is no room to move the chairs out of the clamshell??

Bonnie

We will be at Half Moon Cay for the first time next month. I have booked a clamshell. My question is, can you move your chairs out in front of the clamshell when you want sun and back in when you don't? Or will there be other people in chairs directly in front of you so that there is no room to move the chairs out of the clamshell??

Bonnie

You can move your chairs in and out. You can also simply put your cabana down for a while.

We just return, did not book a clam shell pre cruise, we did try and do it at shore excursion desk, who denied they took reservations and we had to rent direct once on the beach. That is how it worked for us. e would have liked on near kids water slide but were not first off and had to settle for one 3/4 of way down. But it was close to rest rooms and food trail behind beach. They do fold down, but are secured to beach, we were surrounded by oher chairs so moving them wasn't an option

IM000419.jpg.83327aac740a84708e5aaa0116a40794.jpg

We will be at HMC in May while sailing on the Triumph. We are interested

in the clam shells. Carnival doesn't show it as an option on the HMC shore excursions. Will we have to wait until we are on board to reserve?

What is the rental cost?

Thanks

You can't reserve them in advance on Carnival, unfortunately. Total pain in the rear.

We stood in line for 15 minutes to rent two and were told they were sold out, but we could walk down the beach and try at the other "watersports" rental building.

Did that, stood in line another 15 minutes and got two. I had sent DD down to park 4 chairs under two clamshells. The clamshells are there, but once you pay, they send an attendant out with the brace and he puts them up for you.

Go to HAL's website. They have a map of HMC which shows where the buildings are.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/hal/caribmex0708/

If you want to be where the action is, then you'll want to tender early and get one that's nearer the tender port.

The one farther down are away from the bar and band (and fewer kids when you're further away), and closer to the buffet. There will be drink servers walking around with trays.

I absolutely LOVE the place. Love it so much that I had to change my plans when I realized Carnival was moving Fascination to Jacksonville and they were doing 5-day sailings that stop in HMC.

It is an incredibly beautiful place. I'm not normally a "beach" person, but this is the exception.

Archived