Suggestions of restaurants

cheznandy

We have midnight departures in Raiatea, Papeete and Pago Pago. Was wondering if anyone has some good suggestions for restaurants, preferable in walking distance from the ship, we have tours booked for the day so hoped to stay around town for dinner.

We are in Papeete on a Saturday night, I thought perhaps one of the hotels have shows on:confused:

Thanks

Chez

xx

there are 2 restaurants right at the pier on Raiatea which are supposed to be very good. In Papeete, there are the roulettes which are supposed to be pretty good, they are right at the pier. the IC does have shows on Frday & Saturday nights. I would recommend that if you go there, ask for the ala carte menu instead of the buffet, which is VERY expensive. you sit in the same area, just a couple of rows back. you can also see the show from the bar. It is a fairly short taxi ride from the pier.

there are 2 restaurants right at the pier on Raiatea which are supposed to be very good. In Papeete, there are the roulettes which are supposed to be pretty good, they are right at the pier. the IC does have shows on Frday & Saturday nights. I would recommend that if you go there, ask for the ala carte menu instead of the buffet, which is VERY expensive. you sit in the same area, just a couple of rows back. you can also see the show from the bar. It is a fairly short taxi ride from the pier.

Thankyou so much for your reply, I think the roulettes will be a goer, then perhaps some drinks in a bar, and will definately check out those restaurants on Raiatea, I have heard others mention the dancers that come on the ship in Raiatea, as we are not leaving till midnight, I was wondering if it will happen for our cruise:confused: we are on the Pacific Dawn (ex Regal Princess) and P&O hasnt cruised to Tahiti for 50 years I have heard, so i guess we will wait and see.

Chez

xx

Hi,

Just posted on our page and just saw this. We are going to the IC' Tiare Rest for dinner. It is a beautiful setting with very good food but very expensive. Oh well just one night off the ship. I would not eat at the trucks at the pier. Some are good but some are bad and people do get sick from them. Remember if you get sick on a ship you will be confined to your room for at least 3 days. Another place is Belverdere. It is at the highest point on Tahiti. It is an OK fondue dinner bit the prize here is the ride up as well as the sunset view.

In Raiatea there are some places at the pier bit they seemed to be drinking holes instead of great rest. Don't know.

You can see the shows at the IC in the reg reat and as Laurie says you should order from the reg menu as the Buffet is about $90 Aus.

Hi to Laurie. She and her husband was on the Tahitian Princess with us. See you on the ship. Saw some of your pictures. Very nice.

Jeffrey

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree with your unkind words about the Roulettes. We ate there and found the food pretty good, inexpensive and the atmosphere a lot of fun. Plus, we saw many crew members of the several cruise ships in port having a great time relaxing outside chowing down. Very clean, well lit and policed plus only steps from the Princess.

If you did not actually eat at the Roulettes and base your unkind words on speculation, then you should say so. I recommend the experience.

As for restuarants, we had two excellent - and I do mean excellent - meals at the two top rated places in Papeete. Both are in allguide books. L' or la Bouche on Passage Cardella is a five - ten minute easy walk from the ship. Nouvelle french cuisine, fresh innovative dishes and light on the sauces all in a pleasant, modern setting with excellent, friendly service.

Corbeille is a longer walk along the promenade (past the Robt. Wan Pearl museum) but you can take a taxi from the pier for a short ride. The food was superb but more traditional french preparations. Both places were expensive but I thought they were worth every penny. English is fine but clumsy and the staff was welcoming.

BTW, I thought it interesting a number of restuarants we went to in Polynesia did not offer appetizers - only entrees and deserts.

You might also want to try Mango Restaurant in Papeete, although do be warned that it's a little pricey. There is a review of it here if you use the search function and 'Mango', it should come up. It offers local specialties with a fusion technique.

You should use your common sense with the roulettes. If there's one that look unclean to you, pick another. However, some of the best food you can have in the islands, you will find on the roulettes.

I think the lack of appetizers is more of a French than Polynesian thing though. They are more inclined to have additional courses with dinner as opposed to offering an appetizer course. We were surprised when we went to a bar that they offered olives instead of something salty (very European, or so they tell me).

Charlie

Thanks for all of you recommendations for restaurants, it has given us some food for thought:p

After eating my way around Thailand last June, the roulettes don't worry me at all;) ..........we ate at street stalls and lots of Thai restaurants, its the best food ever, and my husband and I had cravings for months after we returned:)

Chez

xx

The street food in Thailand is especially yummy! Some folks are just naturally more cautious than others.

Enjoy the flavors of the islands - just a pointer, if you don't eat a lot of fruit at home, go easy on the local fruits(especially the mangos and pineapples) at first until you build up the Vitamin C in your body or you might get a case of Tiki Revenge!

Charlie

Archived