Internet Charges?

DisneyJen

Greetings all,

Our docs for our March 16 SD1 cruise while I was in Aruba last week:p There wasn't any info, other than stating the fact that there is availabilty, on the fees for internet access. Specifically, DH is interested in the rate (or packages) for internet access from our stateroom.

I'm sure some of you who have sailed recently will be able to share that info with us.

Thanks!

We hooked our laptop in the room. I needed to for business. I don't recommend it, because you don't entirely "get away" on vacation. I think the fee was $35.00 per day. You just let them know when you want to be connected for 24 hours at a time. And the connection can still be very slow if other guests use Skype, or streaming video. It was frustrating, but a necessary vacation cost for me. I still need to find out how to be in control during the trans crossing. That is another issue entirely!

DJ,

For the last 5 or so cruises I've taken on SD, I've paid the $35/day to use my laptop in the stateroom. The connection speed isn't as good as at home but it's really fine for purposes of doing email, making calls via Skype and just about anything else you'd need it for. It is so convenient and easy that I find myself spending a few minutes on the computer both in the morning and afternoon and managing to get all my needed work correspondence done in that manner.

Knowing Mr. DJ as I do, I'll tell you that I think he'd find this to be a good way to deal with his communication needs.

FWIW, the connection in the room can be easily turned on and off by the Radio Officer and some passengers tend to turn it off every other day or so in order to reduce the expense and the temptation.

The good thing for all of us is that with easy assess to a computer and internet connection you'll be updating us regularly on the goings on during your cruise next month.

Thanks LBLB and ctbjr!

You know my DH well ctbjr:p Although I am a firm believer in disconnecting from work while on vacation he hasn't made that leap.

I know how much I enjoy "live" reports so this will allow me to reciprocate!

Thanks LBLB and ctbjr!

You know my DH well ctbjr:p Although I am a firm believer in disconnecting from work while on vacation he hasn't made that leap.

I know how much I enjoy "live" reports so this will allow me to reciprocate!

I used my laptop daily to update my blog (no work at all). I'd sit on a sunbed & compose my daily entries with Word while sipping on champagne, then just cut-n-paste them to my blog while connected to the internet in our stateroom. For me, the $35/day fee was worth it as it allowed me to stay in contact w/ family and post "live" reports to my blog, complete with pictures. DH could check sports scores & financial news.

DJ, you're less than a month away!

DJ

CTBJR was generous enought to "share" his computer/connection - that kept me from doing too much work but just enough access to keep my inbox from overflowing and to not be overwhelmed when I got back to the office. Of course that was the crossing and away from the office for two weeks.

If you like I can ask the powers that be to turn off his e-mail access from the office . . .

I am so envious of your upcoming SD cruise -have a drink (or several) for me on March 17. Nothing booked until the fall crossing, don't forget to book your own plus the spring 09, while on board. And if you see Kenny Chesney on Jost Van Dyke . . . I want the details.

FT

Thanks for the comments Cammiem and FT!

I did enjoy having the laptop with me when we cruised HAL in November to work on my trip report ... My issue with DH taking it along is that I know he will be working when he should be relaxing:rolleyes: His argument is that he is more relaxed knowing that things are under control (and he says I am the control freak:p) while he is out of the office. FT, you know his boss has trouble disconnecting as much as he does!

Maybe I need to negotiate a deal where I get to spend the same amount at the spa as he spends on the Internet:D

I will be on Kenny look out on St. John (where he still owns one home) and Jost! Actually we are on St. John on your birthday ... maybe if we run into Kenny I can use DH's crackberry to call you so Kenny can sing "Happy Birthday" to you:p

We will be visiting the future booking area while on board!

I can't believe we are finally under the four-week mark!

• 1 year later...
If I bring my laptop, is the 70 minute card available, or is the only internet plan the $35 per day?

The 70 minute card is used with the public computers in the Library. The $35 per day plan applies to personal or SD laptops used in your stateroom.

What is a diamond? On SeaDream?

I had the same question. I am Diamond World Club on Cunard but, unless they have slipped something by us, I think all are equal, so to speak, on SD. On Seabourn you get free trips with a certain number of days on board but "diamond" is a new one on me too.

J.

I will miss my free laundry on Silversea, but won't miss having to wear a tux and sport coat every evening! Interesting to hear they don't have a loyalty program in place.

Well, there is the Captain's party (with caviar) for the past passengers and a discount coupon with the tickets. I believe we get 15% off spa treatment. Used to get a 15

15% off coupon for a purchase in the shop but the shop no longer exists so hope to see what comes with the tickets in a few weeks! 70 days to go, but as Disney Jen says, "who's counting".:D

We are doing a back-to-back, and as first time SD cruisers, I wonder if we will get invited to the Captain's party for the second leg? It's amazing what one thinks of for caviar!

I am sure you will. On some cruises, the amount of past passengers has been so large that all were invited to keep from excluding a few. You have certainly chosen wisely. You will love it.

We are doing a back-to-back, and as first time SD cruisers, I wonder if we will get invited to the Captain's party for the second leg? It's amazing what one thinks of for caviar!

As Jim has mentioned ... one of the many things I love about SD is the inclusiveness. The captains have been know to extend the invitation to everyone on board to his caviar ... um I mean ... cocktail party depending on the percentage of return SeaDreamers.

We were on Seabourn (once only once) and I think we were two of 10 people who weren't returning sailors. It was deserted in the lounge and at dinner. When I asked why I was told that most people were at the Captain's reception.

I wouldn't be surprised if you did receive at least one invite to the party ... since you will be a seasoned SDer after your first week.

Archived