A weekly liner service NYC to Soton by 2020.

Lanky Lad

I am not sure this will come to pass, however, if it does I would welcome the service. I do not care for flying. When we travel to Europe we usually fly over and return by ship. With sailings every week we would travel by ship both ways. Dreaming as always, if there is a market for two ships I would welcome a little competition. I feel this always makes one stay on their toes. Perhaps another company would see such potential and design a liner of their own. HAPAG does a wonderful job with their fleet, although running with smaller ships. Their history is based in transatlantic travel, the service is sublime, and there seems to be a demand for voyages from Hamburg.

Perhaps there can be a return of passengers being carried on fast container ships? There are several lines that operate container ships and cruise ships such as Hapag-Lloyd, MSC, NYK/Crystal, etc. These lines could use their experience handling passengers along with their existing passenger marketing and reservations assets to provide a regularly sheduled transatlantic run.

I don't believe it. A lot of people enjoy cruising, but they want lots of ports. I've heard a number of people say they're afraid they'd be bored on a TA, and many worry about being seasick.

Many of the TAs now done are southern route, where the weather tends to be better than in the north atlantic. In order to do a weekly service, they'd have to use a northern route. And after October, there will be only one ship I'd want to take for a TA. ;)

Time and money permitting, I'd love to plan trips to Europe around QM2's TA schedule. Flying is hell these days unless you upgrade from coach. But it's still faster than sailing and I think most people will put up with one day's misery in order to travel faster.

The old [Cunard?] slogan of "getting there is half the fun" has been forgotten as people have become accustomed to flying rather than sailing.

Hi - just noticed we are same QE2 cruise in May. Haven't found anyone else on this cruise - thought i had the ship to myself !!

Archived