Nassau.. a unique experience?

pradafan1

I was just shocked and amazed at my experience in Nassau, and it all happened within about 10 - 15 minutes. While my daughter was getting her hair braided, I thought Id go to the bank and get a few rolls of Bahamian coins, so she could bring them back to school and share with her friends...

So on my way to the bank I was offered: a taxi (twice), and marijuana. On my way back from the bank I was offered: a taxi (maybe about 5 times), Cuban cigars, marijuana, cocaine, and a prostitute!

And this wasnt all from the same person, this was basically me being stopped every 30 seconds by someone calling me their 'friend', and offering to hook me up with whatever I wanted.

Was this just me? Ive heard of people being harrased to buy things, and I read about some guy that had his cell phone stolen, but this was just so irritating, and almost every time there was a police officer just a few steps away! It really sucked all the fun out of Nassau, I enjoyed Castaway Cay very much, but next time, I think I'll just relax on the ship while docked at Nassau....

I am so sorry to hear this happened to you.

we have been there many times and never had such a bad experience.

as we entered the straw market we were asked if we wanted to buy cigars but we said NO thanks and walked on. that was it.

everyone offers to get you a taxi, it is that way on all the islands.

I did see on the news recently where they busted some of the cigar sellers recently becuse the cigars were actually filled with marajuana.

we walk all over shopping and to see the pirate museum and never had any problems like you did.

Maybe it was just your lucky day. Ha Ha !!

actually i am sorry this ruined your experience at Nassau, we have had so may wonderful cruises there.

mom x4,grandma x4

I was just shocked and amazed at my experience in Nassau, and it all happened within about 10 - 15 minutes. While my daughter was getting her hair braided, I thought Id go to the bank and get a few rolls of Bahamian coins, so she could bring them back to school and share with her friends...

So on my way to the bank I was offered: a taxi (twice), and marijuana. On my way back from the bank I was offered: a taxi (maybe about 5 times), Cuban cigars, marijuana, cocaine, and a prostitute!

And this wasnt all from the same person, this was basically me being stopped every 30 seconds by someone calling me their 'friend', and offering to hook me up with whatever I wanted.

Was this just me? Ive heard of people being harrased to buy things, and I read about some guy that had his cell phone stolen, but this was just so irritating, and almost every time there was a police officer just a few steps away! It really sucked all the fun out of Nassau, I enjoyed Castaway Cay very much, but next time, I think I'll just relax on the ship while docked at Nassau....

Normal in Nassau, don't go to Jamaica, its worse....

Are you sure that you didn't get on the wrong ship and end up in Tijuana?:eek:

Welcome to the third world. You left Mayberry RFD behind when they dropped the mooring lines. A lot of or should I say most of the world is full of unpleasantries and that's just a hazard or possibly some of the excitement and charm of traveling.

Some people can handle it, enjoy it even and others should stick to Walt Disney World. Either way, it sure makes you appreciate home... unless your home is Tijuana. :)

Not just 3rd world countries either. I walked about 20 feet out my hotel door in Amsterdam and was asked to go upstairs and have some fun with a man. He had a joint in his hand. I told him no, he again asked me, I said no more firmly this time. Not 10 feet up the sidewalk the same thing happened, by a different man.

Wow... I've been to Nassau, and didn't have the same experience the OP had. Maybe I'm just lucky? Or maybe it was the fact that we had a kid in a stroller with us while we walked around the shops in Nassau?

I was alone in Chennai, India for a month (that's TRUE 3rd world) and didn't get "approached." :confused: Lemme tell you, after India, Nassau isn't 3rd world. You have running water (not water delivery from a former tar truck) and electricity in Nassau, and regular trash pickup. People aren't 5 to a scooter in Nassau. :eek: I didn't see any nekkid kids on the side of the road at the port in Nassau. *chuckle*

The best offer we got in Nassau was for yummy Tortola rum cake. :D

Archived