New Passport Thread

Merion_Mom

My DH applied for his passport on Feb. 16, 2008 & received it exactly 11 month later. I think it is taking much longer for Florida residents for some reason.:(

He received it 11 months after 2-16-08?

Applied for my 13 y/o son's first passport on 4/12/08 - it arrived today, 4/23/08. We didn't expidate it; we just used regular service. Very quick!

We don't have his birth certificate back yet though.

• 2 weeks later...

My DH and I applied for our first passports on Saturday, April 26 at 9:00AM. They were in the mail today-May 3-that's just 5 business days!!

I was amazed at how quickly we got them. Our BC's came in separate envelopes, but also were returned today.

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread, as I don't think I remember anyone receiving them this quickly!

Happy sails!

Doreen

So, I finally dragged the whole family down to the post office last week to apply for passports for my kids. Our next cruise is June 16th.

The lady that took our applications, insisted that it would take 6 to 8 weeks, and I said that's okay, because I got two copies of their birth certificates, so if need be we will just sail with those. And she said, oh no you have to have passports to get back in the U.S.!! And I said, oh no, not for cruises! And she just rolled her eyes at me like I was nuts!:rolleyes:

I did not argue with her, since she had the applications in her hands!:eek:

I just can't believe our Government employees can't even keep up with the Government! I guess, I shouldn't have been surprised.

So, I finally dragged the whole family down to the post office last week to apply for passports for my kids. Our next cruise is June 16th.

The lady that took our applications, insisted that it would take 6 to 8 weeks, and I said that's okay, because I got two copies of their birth certificates, so if need be we will just sail with those. And she said, oh no you have to have passports to get back in the U.S.!! And I said, oh no, not for cruises! And she just rolled her eyes at me like I was nuts!:rolleyes:

I did not argue with her, since she had the applications in her hands!:eek:

I just can't believe our Government employees can't even keep up with the Government! I guess, I shouldn't have been surprised.

:) We applied for our children's passports April 28th arrived in mail today,

May 8th!!! Now that's service.

The post office agent also told us would have to send express - Not!!

1st cruise May 30, 2008 - Majesty of Seas

Anyone have any updates on how long renewals are taking? I would assume the same quick turnaround that first timers have been receiving. DD#2 got hers in less than two weeks, and those two weeks included Christmas and New Years. :)

DD#1 needs to renew hers to have her name changed. (Her passport is 5 years old so she needs to renew to get the name changed :( ) Shouldn't be an issue anyway, since we aren't cruising until August. Can't wait! It will be the first time I will see her again since she got married and moved to Texas in January! :D

I applied for a first time passport on Friday April 25th in late afternoon. Just received the passport today May 8th. Just shy of two weeks! Thats pretty good considering they were saying it could take up to 8 weeks.

We had issues with my son being 14 and his dad out of contact, long story but I had to get letters etc notarized and we were going to expedite his application but guy at PO said no need. Well he was right, all 5 in hand within 6 days! Amazing.

Wendy

We applied for DS and me (first time for both) on Friday afternoon, May 9. They came in the mail today (May 17) and said they were issued on May 14 (Wed). FAST!

DH renewed his that same day and we haven't seen his yet - I'll try to come back and post when his comes in.

• 3 weeks later...

I mailed my passport renewal paperwork on May 19th, and received my new passport on May 31st. I could not believe how fast it was. The key may have been that I processed the paperwork online prior to putting everything in the mail. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting tale.

My passport was to expire the end of July. I use mine frequently for out of country business trips, so I had to plan for a time in between them. I often get less than a week or two notice before going to Canada or somewhere more exotic.

And since my company would pay for the expediating charge, I sent it in as such. Express mail on May 29th.

My DW's was to expire next year, but she said that as long as I was to do mine, she wanted hers at the same time so our future expiration dates would be the same. So I put hers in the regular mail on May 29th.

She got hers back on June 7th, 9 days later.

Mine? Got it via Express Mail on June 10th! 12 days and $75 poorer.:confused:

• 4 weeks later...

Was anyone else able to track their application via the website www.travel.state.gov ? I've had no luck tracking my application and have no way of knowing if they've even received it. Or perhaps, since the turnaround time is so quick right now that they're not even bothering with the tracking system? I

I mailed my application in on July 1st and am a bit antsy to see if all is well.

Anyway, I appreciate any info that you may be able to send my way.....

I took my kids to apply for their first passports at the courthouse on the afternoon of June 25th. We got them back in the mail on Saturday July 5th! Even with the holiday they came that fast.......6 business days.

I doubt with that kind of turnaround time they have time to post them on that tracking site.:)

I bet you get yours in the next few days. Are you traveling soon?

Passport cards are an extra cost item (I think an extra $20 when applied for at the same time as the regular passport). They are more convenient to carry around as an official federal ID, but they are much more restricted.

According to the Passport Card FAQ, "The passport card is a wallet-size card that can only be used for land and sea travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card will provide a less expensive, smaller, and more convenient alternative to the passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by land or by sea."

I'm sticking with the regular passport book as I just don't need a passport often enough to need the smaller form to carry in my wallet for frequent use.

I applied for my first passport on July 1, along with trips to ss and dmv for new, updated ss and a drivers license for my new last name. Got the passport on July 9, still waiting for my other new cards. Thought passport would be last to come. Guess that says alot about CA DMV!!

I guess I got a bit too antsy.....I, like Donna, applied for both a new social security card and passport on the same day (July 1st). I received both my ss card and my passport today. Only 10 days! Liberty of the Seas here I come!

Archived