Pre cruise trip to Denali

Misha

I'm trying to put together a pre cruise trip to Denali and wondering if anyone has any tips. I can do it myself or am not adverse to a package. I don't know yet when our flight arrives, but the Alaska Park Connection Motor Coach leaves at 3 pm which might save us spending a night in Anchorage. I thought I heard that most flights from the east were overnights. We would like to take the train at least one way (planning on renting a car later in Skagway).... I've looked at the Denali Star and see also the Mckinley Explorer... but I believe that is only with packages. In Denali, we plan on spending 2 nights and take the shuttle to at least Fish creek or take the Tundra Wilderness tour. Then a train or coach back to Anchorage. Our ship leaves from Seward (where I also would like to spend a night to explore...) I understand the train trip from Anchorage to Seward is awesome... To take that we would have to spend another night in Anchorage... I see that there is also motor coach route to Seward from Denali.... In addition to a 10 hr. bus ride, we don't get to take that train. Would we be missing too much by doing that? Not enough time..... too much to see! I just hate to waste precious time by possibly spending up to 2 nights in Anchorage.... :eek:

Does any one have other suggestions? Thanks so much in advance.

Hi Misha - There's a lot on the table with your post, so I'll just offer some thoughts.

> Most flights to AK from the east coast are not over nights; however, when traveling from AK back home, many flights leave later in the day and are redeyes.

> Denali is very easy to do on your own. No need for a package or cruisetour.

> You can rent a car, take the bus or take the train.

> Renting a car is pricey. Rent away from the airport to save $.

> You can book the train thru Alaska Railroad at http://www.akrr.com. There are 2 options - just the regular train (Denali Star) or you can book Gold Star passage which gets you a ride on the domecar.

> McKinley Explorer is HAL's domecars. You can book the McKinley Ex independently thru Grayline Tours (which is owned by HAL). http://www.graylinealaska.com.

> I personally love the train and recommend it.

> The car provides more flexibility to stop along the way and to get around Denali.

> Whether you have a car or not will play a role in where you stay in Denali. If you don't have a car, you will have to stay in Glitter Gulch and catch shuttles to the park. Research this beforehand.

> 2 nights in Denali is the minimum recommended.

> Skip the TWT and take the shuttle bus - not much difference in the experience, and the shuttle bus is cheaper. Go to at least Fish Creek, but consider going further The longer the ride, the better chance you have to see wildlife and the mountain.

> Seward is well worth at least a day.

> The train ride between ANC and Seward is excellent. Again, you can book thru AKRR.

If you decide to take the train from Anchorage to Denali, there is a two for one coupon in the Toursaver book that will save you over $340.

http://www.toursaver.com/index.php/alaska-rail-tours-denali-park/

There are also lots of other coupons for the Denali area, including hotels, flightseeing, river adventures, salmon bake dinner, etc.

I am saving over $1200 on my trip with this book :)

Unfortunately, they do not have an offer for the train to Seward... but there are plenty of other offers in Anchorage and Seward too.

I suggest you might want to consider a round trip car rental out of Anchorage to go to Denali park and only take the Alaska RR Anchorage/Seward. The Anchorage/Denali just about parallels the Parks Highway, and the big disadvantage is you are severely limited in lodging and meal options. Plus you have no ability for the many many stops you can do along the way. Sorry, but I never recommend the Denali/Seward bus transportation, same reason as above.

With toursaver, you do need to be aware of any coupon restrictions. But it is a fantastic savings for tours.

For clairfications flights TO the east coast from Anchorage are mostly overnights, with a couple in the early morning. Not the other way around. You leave the east coast in the morning and get into Anchorage from afternoon on.

If you are set on the train Anchorage/Denali- you most certainly can book yourself and do not need any packages unless you want a hotel rail combo??

I never recommend the triple cost TWT in Denali Park for independents, always the shuttle to at least Fish Creek/Eielson, at a min. distance. BUT without a car, you do need to factor in all the transfers etc with where you are staying.

Bueget Queen,

We are planning a trip to Alaska and want to tour Denali before meeting our ship in Seward.

If we fly into Anchorage, and drive to Denali, how long does it take to get there? Would you reccommend driving over taking a train to Denali?

Is it better to fly into Fairbanks to start our trip and work our way south.

We are at the very beginning of our planning, so we are open to suggestions. However, we are limited on time and can only spend 3-4 days touring prior to meeting our ship.

Thanks!

Bueget Queen,

We are planning a trip to Alaska and want to tour Denali before meeting our ship in Seward.

If we fly into Anchorage, and drive to Denali, how long does it take to get there? Would you reccommend driving over taking a train to Denali?

Is it better to fly into Fairbanks to start our trip and work our way south.

We are at the very beginning of our planning, so we are open to suggestions. However, we are limited on time and can only spend 3-4 days touring prior to meeting our ship.

Thanks!

You need 2 nights at Denali park, I never recommend less. With only 3 and hopefully 4 days, you don't have time for the train, which in my opinion, is far better with three nights at Denali park. For driving from Anchorage, allow 6 hours each way Anchorage/Denali. But this does allow plenty of time for some great stops along the way. Many many to consider.

Overall Fairbanks flights are far fewer than Anchorage, car rentals very limited and costly for a one way to Anchorage. If does offer you more time for Denali Park with 2 nights there, but I don't like being without a car. Your shuttle bus into the park will depend on transit option from where you are staying. Your lodging and meal choice are significantly limited without a car.

If you want to see Anchorage. The early am train to Seward your day of sailing will offer you enough time for one, perhaps 2 attractions. Otherwise an overnight is recommended if you wish to consider more.

A priority I suggest, is to consider all the time you can. When that is determined, post back for specific trip planning.

Archived