Alaska weather in Sept.

Sea and Me

To those of you that have cruised in Sept. to Alaska how was the weather?? We were there the first week of June last year and in Ketchikan it was 76. Also I heard that they have flies there:( is Sept. the time of the year for them??

Silly questions I know but I'm sure someone will know the answers.

Thanks.

I have one word for you... RAIN... I did the repositioning at the end of Sept. and it rained every day. I didn't mind it too much, just because I enjoy that type of weather as we only get a little of it here in so cal. My brother lives in Juneau, and he said that it sometimes is just un predictable. But do plan it being a bit more chilly than in June.

It depends on when in Sept you're going. I was there the 2 weeks in Sept last year and the weather was better than worse. My understanding is that Sept is a transitional month, and things generally start to turn wetter and colder.

Like any summer month in AK, weather will vary - sometime sunny and warm and sometimes cold and wet. Dress in layers for maximum flexibility.

I didn't encounter any bugs during my 2 weeks there in late August - mid Sept.

We did the 14 day Ultimate Alaska Cruise which began on September 14, 2007. The weather was overcast and cool. In Juneau it rained most of the day, but that is very common for Juneau.

If you dress in layers...........take a light weight fleece jacket and a waterproof jacket.............you will be fine. Being from Ohio...........we are very used to that kind of weather.

We did not have a "fly" problem when we were there.

We were also on the Radiance repositioning cruise and the weather was fine. We have been on 4 September Alaska cruises and two were great and two had at least 24 hours of really high wind and big bad seas. 30' with water spraying over the balcony and hardly anyone showing up for the dining room. That's what's nice about a 14 day cruise - you can have a day of bad weather and still have a great vacation. And we have never seen bugs.

Weather is something that can be one way years on end and change for a couple of years. We have relatives in Anchorage and in the 11 years I've known them the weather has been all kind of different ways at different times of years. It was odd to be talking with them in the later part of the year at times and have them say they haven't been skiing due to no snow on the ground.

Generally September is a mix of good and bad thus the shoulder season while cruising. If you can roll with the punches it is a less expensive time to travel, and less crowded so there are benefits to going the.

My first time up there was late May 1998 and the first morning the temp was 32deg F, cold when coming from Houston...and up in the mountains there was still a lot of snow.

Alaska is a great place to go!!!

Archived