Buying for Caribbean cruise

vfb2girls

We are going on a Caribbean cruise this Novameber to celebrate our 25th wedding anninversary and I am really at lost as what exactly most people wear on these cruises. I already have the formal thing figured out, will invest in a new formal for our anninversary but as far as excursions and such do most just wear their swim wear with a cover-up? I am not sure what to expect from the temperatures in late November. Are shorts the norm around the ship or do most women wear capris? I already plan on buying a few sun dresses to wear in the dining room on non-formal nights since both myself and husband really like to dress up on formal nights. Also what do the guys mostly wear on board? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I found these boards especially helpful when playing last years Alaskan cruise and now I need the help planning this next cruise.

During the day will be very casual. Most people will be wearing their swimsuits with shorts and a cover-up both on sea days and before leaving the ship for the day. Shorts are allowed in the dining room for breakfast and lunch.

In the evenings on casual nights you will find pretty much everything except for shorts in the dining room. Men will usually wear docker type pants or jeans with a collered shirt and women wear sundresses, capris, skirts or nice jeans with a dressy top and heels.

Have a fun trip!:)

Summer clothing is the order of the day. The Caribbean is warm all year round. White clothes are fine! Shorts are fine for daytime wear. What you wear on excursions depends on what you're doing! If you're sightseeing, I'd wear shorts! If you're doing something in the water, wear the bathing suit with either shorts over it, or a decent cover-up!

At night, slacks, skirt, dress, etc... are fine for all but formal nights!

Shorts around the ship during the day or on excursions are absolutely fine. My personal preference is for capri pants so that is what I pack for daytime wear. If you are lounging by the pool or doing water related excursions, by all means, wear your swimsuit, cover up and flip flops. I like a cover up with lots of coverage and live in a beach community so my pick is a tank neck type dress that you can throw on and off to swim. Have a SUPER cruise.

For shore excursions I like to wear a tissue-weight t-shirt, water shorts (they dry really fast) and a swimsuit under. I like beach socks instead of flip flops because less sand gets in and you can even hike in them if need be. :)

Happy cruising!!!

I usually wear capri's around the ship, the days of shorts are long gone for me.

On formal nights, I have seen the gamut. Some women who are not comfortable wearing a dress may wear dressy slacks and a glittery blouse, or wrap. At one table you may see flowing chiffon, or sequined gowns. At another may be sundresses, or suits.

Be yourself, you will look nice however you decide to dress, I know it.;)

I have been searching through the messages to see what I should wear for my December 1-6, 2008 cruise. I have never been on a cruise before so I didn't know what to wear or what kind of weather to expect for a Western Caribbean cruise. Thanks so much for asking.

One question - I really want to wear one of those sports wear outfits that have a stripe down the side of the pants (and a matching jacket). However, I am a 3x size and the only thing I could find online was a French terry outfit from JC Penney. Will french terry be too warm on the ship?

It will be warm in October and November in general in the Caribbean sp pack accordingly.

I prefer skirts and dresses to shorts and capris so that is what I pack. In port and around the pool a swimsuit under a pareo and tank or sundress is perfect for sea days. When not at the pool or on deck, I like linen trousers or a cotton skirt and a pretty top. I also pack several sets of work out clothes as I use the gym in the mornings.

At night, I wear dresses and skirts or nice slacks with heels to dinner.

DH brings shorts and Nike Dri fit shirts for day and dress slacks and button down shirts for casual dinners.

I have been searching through the messages to see what I should wear for my December 1-6, 2008 cruise. I have never been on a cruise before so I didn't know what to wear or what kind of weather to expect for a Western Caribbean cruise. Thanks so much for asking.

One question - I really want to wear one of those sports wear outfits that have a stripe down the side of the pants (and a matching jacket). However, I am a 3x size and the only thing I could find online was a French terry outfit from JC Penney. Will french terry be too warm on the ship?

Ms Simba - you might try Roamans.com or Womanwithin.com for more of a selection for those types of outfits. Living in Florida, I find that unless we get a REALLY cold spell that the french terry is too warm for me. The Caribbean that time of year will be warm - 70's to 80's. Have a great time on your cruise, and watch out for sunburn!;)

Bricked

, It will be very warm on this cruise. If you still want to wear one of those sporty outfits, check ColdWaterCreek, they have your size, if you look in the Outlet, they will have lots of things to choose from. You can go to coupon cabin, look up CWC, they will tell you what the coupons are, you just type in the code at checkout, sometimes it is free shipping, other is is 15-30% off.

Just plan on taking your most comfortable clothes and shoes, you will be fine. yes, most men wear shorts and some wear the tropical type shirts, to polo, to T's during the day and on excursions.

All the suggestions are great! I went ahead and ordered a new swim suit from Newport News, hope it fits me since they have such a wide selection of swimwear. While I see most prefer capris, I am on the short side so I don't really care for them. I still wear my shorts, regardless of my age. I already am looking for sun dresses to wear for non-formal nights in the dining room. Now in regards to formal night is satin a too heavy of a material to wear? I bought a red satin halter style gown for our Alaskan cruise and would really like to wear it again but if it is going to be to heavy maybe I should re think it. I know that I will be searching for a new gown so that I can wear it in the Supper Club since we are celebrating our anniversary that evening. One final question, is it proper to just wear your swimsuit with a cover-up while having lunch on the Lido deck? Or do I have to return to my cabin to change? Thanks for the help.

All the suggestions are great! I went ahead and ordered a new swim suit from Newport News, hope it fits me since they have such a wide selection of swimwear. While I see most prefer capris, I am on the short side so I don't really care for them. I still wear my shorts, regardless of my age. I already am looking for sun dresses to wear for non-formal nights in the dining room. Now in regards to formal night is satin a too heavy of a material to wear? I bought a red satin halter style gown for our Alaskan cruise and would really like to wear it again but if it is going to be to heavy maybe I should re think it. I know that I will be searching for a new gown so that I can wear it in the Supper Club since we are celebrating our anniversary that evening. One final question, is it proper to just wear your swimsuit with a cover-up while having lunch on the Lido deck? Or do I have to return to my cabin to change? Thanks for the help.

No need to change for the Lido.

Bring more than one swimsuit - if you're like me, you'll want to always have a dry one.

One item I cant do without in warmer climates is the lightweight broomstick skirt. Cooler than shorts or capris, and can be dressed up or down - always appropriate on sightseeing excursions too if you're unsure of local customs. And you can just twist and tie for packing - they'll come out looking all the better!

Although it is warm in the Caribbean & Florida (usually) in early Dec., it can be chilly on deck when the ship is at sea as well as very windy. I always have something cozy to wear on the ship for sea days and late evenings; usually I take black sweatpants and a hoody to wear with a t-shirt. On our first cruise we did not take anything cozy to wear and ending up buying a RCI Sweatshirt to wear around the ship and on the balcony late at night. I find it chilly in the some of the lounges, e.g. Colony Club in the daytime when we go to listen to a guest speaker or Bingo.

So I think you terry outfit would be fine. Also good to throw on when you go up to get an early morning coffee.

Kathy:)

Now in regards to formal night is satin a too heavy of a material to wear? I bought a red satin halter style gown for our Alaskan cruise and would really like to wear it again but if it is going to be to heavy maybe I should re think it.

One final question, is it proper to just wear your swimsuit with a cover-up while having lunch on the Lido deck? Or do I have to return to my cabin to change? Thanks for the help.

For formal night - I personally think the satin will be fine. I cruise the Caribbean in January all the time and always pack some sort of wrap to match my dresses. However, I run cold. If you run warm, you may find satin too heavy. Just remember the interior of the ship is air-conditioned, and at night the outside has a 15-20 knot wind from the speed of the ship.

Lido deck lunch - I think it would depend on the cover-up. If you are just eating the buffet outside, I would not change, but would slip something over the swimsuit. I usually use a pareo and t-shirt (if buffet and eating inside), or even just the pareo (buffet and going back outside). If you want to eat in the main dining room, I would change.

I saw a few mention of shoes, but not enough. Depending on what you are doing for your excursions, you may need shoes for that. If shopping, comfy walking shoes or sandals are great. If doing a water-type excursion, water socks or sport sandals (Tevas) work well. For around the ship, something that slips on/off easily and is comfy will fit the bill. Some shoes can do double duty. Most of my sandals are comfy enough for hours of walking, even on the deck track. But as Caviargal mentioned, if you use the gym, you'll need clothes and shoes for that.

I always WEAR my tennis shoes on the plane and to the ship. They are bigger and heavier than other shoes you can pack. Plus if you have to run to catch a connection or the ship you can get there that much faster.

I pack Teva athletic sandals for excusions. They are comfy and can get wet or be worn into the water if its rocky. Also to the pool

Evening attire: I start with the shoes and try to stick with only 2 pair of heels one formal, one more casual. Then I pick my evening outfits. If it does not match the shoes (which take up the most space when packing) I find a different outfit or dress!

I too always wear my tennis shoes on the plane, they seem to be the heavier of my shoes. What about crocs? I am a big fan of them and find that they are my most comfortable shoes, yes we all know they are not the prettiest, but do any of you wear them? As far as water shoes, are the ones found in Walmart okay? I will only be using them for our cave tubing excursion since I normally wear my crocs for everything else. Although I will check out the Teva sandels, they might be another option. And for formal shoes I will have to re-think the whole dress thing, I want to buy a cream colored gown for our wedding anniversary dinner at the supper club and find shoes to match. And then from there I will just have to buy a few sun dresses for non-formal night to wear in the dining room

and try to make sure they match my shoes for the formal dress. I do not want to have to haul a bunch of different shoes with me for just a 7 day cruise. Does anyone have any suggestions on wear to find a cream colored gown? I want it to be on the flowy, romantic style since we are celebrating 25 years and I didn't get to wear a real wedding dress when we got married. Thanks for any suggestions.

I too always wear my tennis shoes on the plane, they seem to be the heavier of my shoes. What about crocs? I am a big fan of them and find that they are my most comfortable shoes, yes we all know they are not the prettiest, but do any of you wear them? As far as water shoes, are the ones found in Walmart okay? I will only be using them for our cave tubing excursion since I normally wear my crocs for everything else. Although I will check out the Teva sandels, they might be another option. And for formal shoes I will have to re-think the whole dress thing, I want to buy a cream colored gown for our wedding anniversary dinner at the supper club and find shoes to match. And then from there I will just have to buy a few sun dresses for non-formal night to wear in the dining room

and try to make sure they match my shoes for the formal dress. I do not want to have to haul a bunch of different shoes with me for just a 7 day cruise. Does anyone have any suggestions on wear to find a cream colored gown? I want it to be on the flowy, romantic style since we are celebrating 25 years and I didn't get to wear a real wedding dress when we got married. Thanks for any suggestions.

I would buy a metallic shoe to wear with your cream colored gown. They will go with more and look less bridey/bridesmaidey. I find that I wear my metallic evening shoes more often than my others.

I wear slides or mules on planes for ease. I pack my running shoes and keep those for the gym:).

As for Crocs, I am one of those who simply finds them ugly, period.

As for buying sundresses, perhaps you can shop in your closet first (unless you just want some new sundresses). I wear "dinner" dresses, pretty skirt outfits and dress slacks with dressier tops to dinner.

I will keep that in mind about the metallic shoe. I laughed when you mentioned shopping in my closet, I do not own any dresses except for the two formal ones I bought for our last cruise. When I quit my job and became a stay at home grandma I got rid of most of my clothes. And then of course I gained wieght so I had nothing at all to wear so now that I have lost the weight I gained I am kind of looking forward to restoring my closet with some nice dresses. And I do agree, crocs are ugly but I find them so comfortable and since I have such a hard time finding shoes that are comfortable I guess I will wear my crocs. Am I going to look out of place on a cruise?

And I do agree, crocs are ugly but I find them so comfortable and since I have such a hard time finding shoes that are comfortable I guess I will wear my crocs. Am I going to look out of place on a cruise?

During the day you will have plenty of company. I would not wear them to dinner though:D

Archived