Advice for cruising with young child?

kellyfodel

Watch people's bare toes with your stroller! And don't try to shove your stroller on the elevator before people have gotten off. I had more encounters with stroller shovers on our one cruise than I've had in my entire life. I don't get it. Why would someone SHOVE a stroller with their CHILD in it into people everywhere? One woman shoved her stroller between the elevator doors in an attempt to stop it. Nice, huh?

Also, see the shows, but the second junior starts to squwak, take him out. Thanks.

The nice thing about NCL is that you can eat when you want, and it doesn't have to be the normal 2 hour dinner in a traditional dining room.

My biggest piece of advice would be to try to stick to your baby's schedule as much as possible - eating and naps, even on port days.

Check out the "Family" cruising section on this board.

This is the best suggestion. I would refrain from pursuing answers in any of the general cruise forums as it inevitably brings out responses like those provided by "Jungle Jane".

On the Family Board you will find people to be much more helpful. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

This is the best suggestion. I would refrain from pursuing answers in any of the general cruise forums as it inevitably brings out responses like those provided by "Jungle Jane".

On the Family Board you will find people to be much more helpful. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

karatemom, lighten up! I was simply giving what I thought was a good piece of advice, albeit in a smartalek-y way. Many moms and dads were totally frustrated at trying to finagle the crowds with their strollers and were practically taking it out on their strollers, seemingly forgetting that their CHILD was inside.

Hmmmm, bet you're a stroller shover...why else would that have gotten your hackles up? Chill out...

karatemom, lighten up! I was simply giving what I thought was a good piece of advice, albeit in a smartalek-y way. Many moms and dads were totally frustrated at trying to finagle the crowds with their strollers and were practically taking it out on their strollers, seemingly forgetting that their CHILD was inside.

Hmmmm, bet you're a stroller shover...why else would that have gotten your hackles up? Chill out...

Well my 8 and 14 year old are well out of stroller age, but when they were in strollers I was quite careful of where and how I navigated them.

I am sorry if my response offended you, but as a parent I can sympathize with a new poster to this board coming and hoping for helpful answers and encouraging words when planning a first cruise with a young child. Maybe you were trying to be funny, but I don't think your response was either helpful or encouraging. It's the type of response that tends to make people shy away from asking legitimate questions for which they are hopeful for thoughtful answers. That is why I referred her to the family board. Quite frankly people are just generally nicer there to those needing answers about traveling with children.

I don't think complaints about strollers running over toes and junior squawking is what the OP was looking for when she came here seeking advice. Maybe that's why she hasn't been back here and is now posting on the family board.

So go ahead and accuse me of not having a sense of humor, it's OK.

Well my 8 and 14 year old are well out of stroller age, but when they were in strollers I was quite careful of where and how I navigated them.

I don't think complaints about strollers running over toes and junior squawking is what the OP was looking for when she came here seeking advice. Maybe that's why she hasn't been back here and is now posting on the family board. Or maybe it's because she didn't know there was a family board, was told about it, and is now posting there. I'm sure I didn't run her off.

So go ahead and accuse me of not having a sense of humor, it's OK. Because I'm sure it's not the first time you've heard that.

Trust me, anyone traveling with an infant definitely already has a sense of humor. I've done it. I am sure the OP is not off hiding somewhere b'c of my silly way of saying "Watch people's feet when trying to make it thru the crowds with your stroller."

:rolleyes: Lighten up!

FYI - "smartalek-y" comments on the board don't usually come off the way they're intended unless the person knows you. That and sarcasm are really difficult to discern because there's no voice inflection or facial expressions to go along with words.

Don't take the baby! Can't see how a parent can really enjoy a cruise with a baby! You're stuck in your cabin when they nap, you should leave the dining room when they start crying - whether you've finished eating or not. Babies need to sleep at night not be dragged around to shows and lounges. What about excursions? When they are old enough to go to the children's program then think about taking them.

Not that it's any of your business, Bonnie, but we have 12 friends and family going on this trip with us, so we'll have plenty of babysitters (some of whom don't like going to shows/etc. and will be happy to take care of him during those times). As for excursions, there are plenty of fun trips that we already booked which are family friendly.

I'm still nursing my son, so he's coming with us. Sorry, I'm not going to just sit in my house and avoid any vacations or fun until he is older. Frankly, I think children who are sheltered like that grow up to be the brats who can't behave and are overstimulated by being out in public. I also believe that leaving a child for a week when he is this young is not appropriate. So yes, he's coming with us. No, I don't expect the same care-free vacation, but we are going to have a wonderful time.

Don't you worry, I won't allow my child to disrupt your vacation (which is what I imagine is the REAL point of your reply, anyway.)

I don't agree with leaving the baby home!

I'm sure the mom has common sense and knows what she can and can't get away with as far as taking baby off schedule. Not everyone cruises for the late evening activities, I don't have a small baby (she's 13!) and we only did a late night show once or twice on our cruise, most nights we were in bed by 10:30-11pm.

Not all excursions would exclude a baby, maybe the mom isn't planning any excursions and will stay on board or get off and do baby friendly activities like shopping, dining, sightseeing, etc.

Maybe this mom is looking to rest on this vacation, and I'm sure she loves her baby and will be happy to stay with him during his naps, etc.

I am all for equal opportunity cruising, my first post came out wrong. I just meant that I know it's frustrating when finagling a stroller in crowds in public and the frustration was evident on many mom's faces when we cruised a few weeks ago. Baby might be too big for a front carrier, but maybe a back carrier? Just a thought... Also once during bingo a mom let a baby WHAIL while we were listening for numbers...come on people, there was a lot of money at stake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I won a keychain-wooohooo)

I am SO SORRY!!! I thought it was going to be JUST you and your husband! You didn't say you were going with anyone else! That makes all the difference. Now I know you will have a wonderful cruise!

I am NOT ain't babies or kids, but I know I could not enjoy a cruise if I had a baby and just my husband. I nursed all three of my boys and went camping on the beach for a few days with a 2 1/2 year old and a 2 month old. My son and his wife spent a week at a family resort in Jamacia with their 11 month old. It was family, all inclusuive, and included babysitting for any age. You don't have to stay cooped up with a baby and the cruise with family will be good.

Children of any age have NEVER disrupted a cruise or anywhere else for us. I love seeing a smilely, sleeping or even crying baby! I enjoy all children which is probably why after retiring from the school system I now subsitute teach. I missed the kids!

Again, sorry.........................

We took our 18 month old grand daughter on her first cruise==

the whole week we fabulous- the above poster who stated to cruise on the babys schedule is right on target= Too much stimulation is happening. But we managed to do fine with naps each day= so she was up and aware when we did dinner in the dining room-- she was great.

Did shows and again she was good-- we would take her out IF she cried which she didnt.

Check out the camps onboard-- sometimes they have a family hour or so where you can take your child in to play with toys, climb on their stuff.. On carnival it was between noon and 2 -although a family member needs to stay present she was able to work off some energy.

With the coment above about the strollers- I encountered a different kind of people when trying to get on an elevator-- whole groups of people will climb over my stroller trying to get into the elevator to go down one floor -its easier for you to go down one flight of stairs then it is for me to drag a stroller with a child in one floor.

So you do have rude people either way you look at it.

No problem, Bonnie! :) And thanks, Jane.

I know this won't be like vacations we have had in the past... total relaxation... but we are very excited for our first vacation as a family!

As well you should be.:) You'll have an amazing time and be back here planning your next. :)

Is your little one eating solids? If you might want to consider bringing your own jars of baby food. You should be able to get mashed potatoes and cooked veggies in the dinning room that you could mash with a fork - if your child will eat things with some texture. The waiters would be able to get you hot water to make cereal. I think you might have some trouble finding things for your little one on the buffet: at least other than say pudding or cottage cheese. Be sure to bring enough diapers - I don't think that they are available on the ship and you don't want to have to spend time in port looking for someplace to buy them.

My kids are now 7, 5, and 4 and we have been traveling with them since the oldest was about 6 mo. It is a lot of work to plan and pack, but I never found that it was much more work on the actual vacation. I was just doing the same sort of things that I would be doing at home except someone was cleaning my room and serving me my dinner!

I hope this will be the start of many happy times with your new family.

Keep in mind that the vegtables on ship always seem to be a'la'dente (SP?)- not cooked all the way so they are not soft. So you won't be able to mash them with a fork. Nowadays you don't get many vegtables with your entree. I sometimes order the vegitarian with my entree.

Archived