Rome/airport/port

Even after reading several posts I am confused. How far is the port from the airport. I understand that Rome is about an hour from the airport. Are there any good hotels to stay at near the port? We would fly in the day ahead of time. I am thinking about booking Carnival Freedom in June but this distance thing has me confused. Thanks for any help. We figured we would tou Rome after the cruise and then fly to Poland. Thanks, Sandy

Even after reading several posts I am confused. How far is the port from the airport. I understand that Rome is about an hour from the airport. Are there any good hotels to stay at near the port? We would fly in the day ahead of time. I am thinking about booking Carnival Freedom in June but this distance thing has me confused. Thanks for any help. We figured we would tou Rome after the cruise and then fly to Poland. Thanks, Sandy

Go to www.ftroute.com/FCO_ROM_CIV.doc There are some good visuals in the article.

Flying into Rome is an experience you will never forget. On the other hand doing some homework ahead of time will save you some real head aches and money. I am booked on Freedom this coming August and have cruised out of Rome before. You can take a taxi into Rome for around 55 to 60 Euro's. You can take the Leanardo Express (Train) from the airport to Rome Termini for 11 Euros a person. From Rome to the Port you can hire a Limo for around 140 Euros or take the local train for around 9 Euros per person. My wife and I have done the train before and its not that hard. It takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes and there are about 9 stops on the local train. The port is the last stop. I hope this information helps. Tim

WSKON: GO TO THIS WEB SITE

www.big-italy-map.co.uk This is a very good interactive map. That means you can zoom into different areas and get more info.

Click on #12 (Lazio - this is the "state" that Rome is in.)

You will see Rome - to the left is a little airplane symbol - that is the airport. To the north along the coast is Civitavecchia.

From the airport into Rome - @ 40 minutes by taxi (into the old heart of Rome)

From Rome to the port (Civitavecchia) is about 1 hr and 15 minutes by taxi.

Not sure how long from airport to port......we did not go that way.

Hope this helps.

GSPLover: When I tried to open your link it looked like Greek......

wskon - There are a lot of shuttle/limo services out there. I first looked at one called romashuttle, but ended up making my reservations on viator.com just for the convenience, and knowing it's already paid for. They send you a voucher and you exchange that on the other end.

Our suitcases are huge (29" + carry-on) and there are two of us. I was afraid a regular limo or car wouldn't fit us in, and I wanted a van. Ended up with a shuttle van (similar to our Super Shuttle) for $26 pp from FCO to Rome hotel. I plan on taking the train from San Pietro Stazione to Civitavecchia. Unfortunately that means schlepping our own luggage, but I'm not going to pay $200 for the transfer. I'm hoping for a taxi from the station in Civitavecchia to the port, but if not, we'll have to walk it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

GSPLover - what a great document you have created. I was able to open the first one, and you have included some awesome details for the first time Rome visitor to view. I've been to Rome before by auto/train but even I found the info useful.

Archived