Sun questions

jeffinhburg

Trying to decide between the Dream and the Sun W. Carib. We've been on both; the Dream last time and the Sun a couple years ago. My memory of the Sun is fading (must mean the bars were good?), but I do recall that at the time there were areas at the buffet at lunchtime with tables set up with Indian food. Can someone on the ship recently tell me if that still exists?

Also, bringing a 15 year old. I wasn't looking at the ships from that age perspective at the time, but I'm guessing the arcade in the Sun was better (unfortunately for him, I don't think it was as big as the Dawn's) and there might be more for him to do on the Sun than the Dream? He's my dive buddy, so I know what we're doing in port, but I'm worried about him being bored on the ship. We could just make him do homework. lol. Ideas?

Just off the Sun on the 19th, there is a station set up in the Garden Cafe (buffet) with Indian food - my husband is Pakistani and he really enjoyed the food!

As for the arcade on the Sun we had fun lol. There were about 20 games and some were even stuck on 'free play'!

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much. Exactly what I wanted to hear -- makes spending a few extra bucks on the Sun over the Dream seem like it may be worth it if it would be better for the stepchild and have food for me (I'm veggie, so I love the idea of being able to get my Indian fix while on the cruise - the Dawn's huge Indian setup on the buffet back when it cruised out of Florida was the BEST!). Not that I've ever starved on NCL.

I'm so excited at the thought of being on either of those ships again.

Nita, I really have to know -- do you have radar that leads you find me any time I joke about bars in a post? LOL. Thanks again.

I'm going on the Dream in 6 weeks and was wondering if you could tell me what you thought of the Dream. We'll be cruising out of New Orleans and doing the Western Caribbean itinerary (Cozumel, Isla Roataan, Belize and Cancun). I'll be traveling with my 6 year old son along with a friend and her 8 year old son and 6 year old daughter. I've read so many negative reviews on the Dream that I'm a little nervous, but I like the itinerary. Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going on the Dream in 6 weeks and was wondering if you could tell me what you thought of the Dream. We'll be cruising out of New Orleans and doing the Western Caribbean itinerary (Cozumel, Isla Roataan, Belize and Cancun). I'll be traveling with my 6 year old son along with a friend and her 8 year old son and 6 year old daughter. I've read so many negative reviews on the Dream that I'm a little nervous, but I like the itinerary. Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Sure. I'm an oddball, so I loved it. I also did it for the itinerary, and for New Orleans. The ship is not flashy, the public rooms are unimpressive, and there's not as many things to do at any given time. It was, however, mellow and relaxed, yet just enough fun, and had a really fun mix of passengers and crew who were happy to be there. It was well maintained. I liked the layout of the staterooms. Because it was smaller, I got to talk to some crew more often, which I love. I'm not sure about the kids, though. The children's activities area seemed a little on the young side, and small, speaking just from my being nosy and looking in the windows. I guess it depends on whether you do lots of things continuously with your children or not. If you want the ship to babysit them often, I'm thinking they (or you) might not have a great time. I don't remember there being a lot of activities for the kids, but then again, I wasn't looking for them at the time. Hopefully, someone with kids on the ship in the recent past can fill you in from real experience.

Also, bringing a 15 year old. I wasn't looking at the ships from that age perspective at the time, but I'm guessing the arcade in the Sun was better (unfortunately for him, I don't think it was as big as the Dawn's) and there might be more for him to do on the Sun than the Dream? He's my dive buddy, so I know what we're doing in port, but I'm worried about him being bored on the ship. We could just make him do homework. lol. Ideas?

We are introducing our 16 yr old granddaughter to cruising life in November on the Sun. She is really excited, it will be her first snorkeling also, she loves the water and sun. She is going to register for the teen center, but not sure if she will go it alone. Perhaps there will be others her age on board. Unfortunately she will have to bring some homework along also. :( When are you cruising? We have cruised on NCL several times, but this is a first for us on the Sun.

We are introducing our 16 yr old granddaughter to cruising life in November on the Sun. She is really excited, it will be her first snorkeling also, she loves the water and sun. She is going to register for the teen center, but not sure if she will go it alone. Perhaps there will be others her age on board. Unfortunately she will have to bring some homework along also. :( When are you cruising? We have cruised on NCL several times, but this is a first for us on the Sun.

I'm looking at April. Hoping that's enough time back at work to get the boss man to let me off for a week. I just had a cruise scheduled on Princess last week, but when it looked like the itinerary was going haywire, we aborted the trip. Lost some money, but phew, the way some others have described the cruise, I'm glad we missed it.

We are on the Sun 3/26/05 with two 15 year old boys. I was also worried that they might get bored on the ship, but since reading all the Sun posts the last few months it looks like there will be plenty for teenagers to do. They have big plans to meet some girls, but so far I haven't found anyone who will be on our cruise at all!

WDWfan13 --

For some reason, Sun cruisers don't seem to post much on these boards. I went on our Alaska cruise feeling that there were only going to be about 10 of us on board -- my family, and 2 other couples from the roll call. Of course, the ship was pretty full ;).

Do you have a roll call doing on the NCL roll card board? You might find somebody else there, but I wouldn't count on lots of responses. Hopefully your boys will find plenty of other kids their ages to make friends with.

SOS,

I am so happy that we are not going alone (though I was hoping for an upgrade to the Owners Suite since we were the only people on the ship!). My son has cruised before, but his friend hasn't. What kind of shore excursions do you have planned?

I did post on the roll call board - twice. No responses yet...

Archived