Snorkeling with poor vision

Galinda

We are new to snorkeling and I just read on another thread that glasses don't work with masks (which does make perfect sense-we just hadn't thought about it). My DH can't see a thing without his glasses. He also is not really comfortable in the water and was already a little hesitant about snorkeling, so I know he will not want to invest in a prescription mask. I, on the other hand, can't wait to try snorkeling. Does anyone have any ideas on other options he might have, that would allow him to enjoy the snorkeling experience with me and the rest of our friends? He did wear contacts years ago, but I don't know if he'd want to try them again on a short-term basis. I don't want him to miss a great experience, but if he'd be happier sipping margaritas on the beach, then I just might have to let him.:) We'll be snorkeling in Grand Cayman (and maybe Cozumel) in April.

I depends on how bad his prescription is and whether or not he is near or far sighted. Example my prescription is approx -4 (near sighted) and I don't use any correction while diving since everything in water is magnified enough to give me enough correction to see fairly well. I have heard some Dr's don't recommend diving with contacts but I have and they cause me to have problems reading my gauges so I don't wear them while diving anymore, you just have to be aware you may lose them. My children are both very nearsighted and will be getting certified for scuba diving over the next couple of summers and we will get them a prescription mask but that can run you a pretty penny there script is -13 diopters which is VERY nearsighted. He may want to just give it a try and see how well he sees and if he can't he can towel off and sip margarita's until your finished. I would encourage him to give it a try since the magnifying properties of the water with a mask may pleasantly surprise him on how much he can see.

We are new to snorkeling and I just read on another thread that glasses don't work with masks (which does make perfect sense-we just hadn't thought about it). My DH can't see a thing without his glasses. He also is not really comfortable in the water and was already a little hesitant about snorkeling, so I know he will not want to invest in a prescription mask. I, on the other hand, can't wait to try snorkeling. Does anyone have any ideas on other options he might have, that would allow him to enjoy the snorkeling experience with me and the rest of our friends? He did wear contacts years ago, but I don't know if he'd want to try them again on a short-term basis. I don't want him to miss a great experience, but if he'd be happier sipping margaritas on the beach, then I just might have to let him.:) We'll be snorkeling in Grand Cayman (and maybe Cozumel) in April.

Take a look at this product, for $70 including the lenses he may reconsider not wanting to invest in a Rx Mask:

http://www.123scuba.com/p-RXMK03P.html

Snorkeling is a wonderful experience, especially when shared with friends and family.

Have you ever tried sun readers? They're regular sunglasses but have a magnifying film at the bottom so you can read on the beach? Anyway, they make those magnifying lenses for dive/snorkel masks. Do a search for Diveoptx magnifying lenses and you should be able to find several sites where you can buy them...cheaper than prescription masks...especially since you guys are new to the snorkeling thing.

The prescription mask is the best way to go. If his mask doesn't leak he could wear contacts.

Bob

Yes, it is possible to snorkel with contacts. However, you must be aware that there is a possibility of losing one if you get water in your mask or your eyes, so you would want to take extras. I am very nearsighted and wanted to snorkel. My opthalmologist ordered me a sample pair of the inexpensive contacts you can buy at Costco, etc. Once I found out I could wear them, at least for a period of time while snorkeling, he wrote me a prescription and I bought about 3 pairs. It was a few years ago, but I think they were only about $30. They were not my exact prescription, but with the magnification of the water, as mentioned above, they worked great. So, now I have invested in a good quality prescription mask, which is easier for me now that I know I love to snorkel.

My DD and I are going on Eli's Xtreme in Antigua while the guys go play golf. I love the water but because I wear contacts, I assumed she'd be the one snorkeling. Is it possible to snorkel with contacts in?

Hi,

I wear soft extended wear contacts and have been diving/snorkeling for at least 15 years and have yet to lose even one. Proper mask fit to keep water out helps (I've flooded my mask with my eyes open and still didn't loose my contacts so soft lenses definitely pay off). Just be careful, remember you have them in and don't wipe your eyes hard, etc. If you can shower in your lenses you can snorkel in them. :)

Randall

I've been diving with disposable contacts for years, and nothings better. Diving in salt water does present a slightly higher risk of losing a lens if your mask floods (fresh water makes contacts stick to your eye better; salt water pulls them away), but I've never lost one yet. Just bring a spare set of disposables.

You can get by spending a bit over $100 to get a mask and lens inserts close to the diopter correction of your script. Most dive shops would be able to help. Last I priced lenses they were about $30 a lens plus the mask. You generally want to go a half diopter below your prescription.

• 1 month later...

I am in the same boat, I got some daily disposable contacts that I use just for diving and they work great snorkeling. It is so much better to snorkel when you can sea things clearly! I understand why your husband is hessitant. I would encourage him to try disposable soft lenses, they are comfortable and easy to use and fairly inexpensive. For the purpose of the cruise he might be able to get a trial pack from your eye doctor just to see how he likes them.

I used to snorkle with soft contacts, before they even had disposables. Worked fine, but disposables are so much better. $5-$10 if you lose one, and travelling with spares is smart.

But I gave up contacts when I moved to Colorado and had my kids. Much drier here, and with babies, naps at any possible moment of peace are good. Not good to nap in contacts.

Fast forward many years. Kids 13, both certified divers, family trip to Hawaii. Thought I would settle for not seeing great. Surprisingly, in a small area, 3 options for renting/buying perscription masks. Rented one for a week, liked it, and paid less than $50 to purchase it. (Renting would have been $30/week - rental fee credited to purchase.)

You might want to email the dive center, and see if they sell/rent perscription masks. I was shocked I could get one so cheaply. Probably because they buy in bulk?

Kathy

We have had good luck with prescription goggles and dive masks. These are not custom ground lenses, they are off the shelf diopters. The goggles go for around $25 a pair, the masks go for around $60 a pair.

I wear my contacts snorkeling and diving with no problem. But since I really need bifocals, I just wear one contact in my dominant eye for distance. The other uncirrected eye is for close up. Works well for me.

I wear my contacts snorkeling and diving with no problem. But since I really need bifocals, I just wear one contact in my dominant eye for distance. The other uncirrected eye is for close up. Works well for me.

That would give me a major headache. You must have a very dominent eye. :D

r

It really does make a difference what his vision needs are but I picked up a nonprescription magnifying mask at Sports Authority for about $60. They had them in three different powers. Works great for me. If he is deadset against spending any money he can do what I did before I got the mask. I used to take the ear pieces off of an old pair of glasses and place them in the mask. It worked out pretty well.

I hope this helps!

Archived