Flying Fish - anyone else see these?

Jilltoons

Hi all - I feel I am writing all over this board today. So excited from my first cruise experience.

While hanging out on our balcony - we saw something which I didn't know about....Flying Fish. There were schools of them leaping away from the ship as it moved through the ocean. They looked like silver dollars glistening in the sun - gliding over the top of the ocean. Amazing sight!

Anyone else see these before? What kind of fish are they?

We saw them from the bow of Mariner last summer. Certainly surprised us! But what a cool sight! We'd only ever seen dolphins and stingrays in the Caribbean before and whales (way off in the distance, unfortunately) in northern Europe before!

I will never forget the first time I saw them. DH and I were on the Conquest sitting on the Lido deck at a table by the windows. I'm looking down at the water and I see two or three silver things fly away from the ship and disappear back in the water. Of course the looked like bugs from where we were. I tell DH to look...what always happens when you want someone else to see?....nothing. He thought I was crazy. Finally though a school took off. I wasn't crazy!

I had to laugh when I saw this thread. When we were on our 1st cruise on the Rhapsody, we were standing at the balcony railing one afternoon when they appeared by the hundreds. I got my son, who was about 19 at the time to show him. He thought I was lying when I said they were flying fish. He doesn't believe there isn't any such thing! To this day he believes it was just fish getting out of the way of the ship! :p

They are pretty neat to watch. As we were sailing out of Galveston a few years back, I met a guy from Dallas and started telling him about the flying fish, his comment was....fish DON'T fly. I told him to just keep watch and he would see some, well as we were coming back into Galveston, I saw on deck again & asked if he had seen any flying fish yet.....His comment, fish DON'T fly. Over the entire 7 day cruise he never saw one and I could never convince him they exist.

Doug

Archived