Ok, hard for me to ask this question, honest answer please

Liesje

Another vote for Beall's here. I have been checking out their suites.

The nice thing is that Beall's has a nice selection right now of suits where you buy the tops and bottoms separately. Always a nice option when you are well endowed on top and slim on the bottom.

even if you don't find a new suit, put on a pretty sarong & cool sunglasses & relax! You're on a cruise, by the time that you (& everyone else) has a few drinks by the pool it won't matter what your wearing or how you look in it as long as everything is covered that should be! Have a great time!

I like the title of your thread. :) So here's my honest answer:

First, EVERYONE at the beach is alot more focused on what THEY look like than what YOU look like. Just something to keep in mind.

Second, you will see every size and shape. No matter what you look like, you will have plenty of company.

And third, even though cruise advertisements would have you believe that the beaches are populated by herds of gorgeous people frolicking in their expensive designer swimwear --- well, it just ain't like that in real life. Take a look at the swim fashions at your local community pool; that's pretty much what you'll see at the beach. Everything from board shorts to t-shirts to cute young things in bikinis.

So, be comfortable and don't worry about the fashion parade. Personally, I like tankinis for covering my midriff. I agree with several other posters, though; a t-shirt is strongly advised for sun protection.

Enjoy that Caribbean water!

The way I look at it is that I've spent enough money for this cruise, I won't let the cost of it go to waste by feeling uncomfortable in my bathing suit. I would purchase a new suit and consider it an investment...you KNOW you'll cruise again...no one goes just once! To put a shirt over it will just make you all the more self aware. Buy the new suit and ENJOY!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Terri

..... even though cruise advertisements would have you believe that the beaches are populated by herds of gorgeous people frolicking in their expensive designer swimwear --- well, it just ain't like that in real life.

So true!!! I think we as women look at too many fashion mags....we have this idea that we are the only ones on the beach or by the pool that is carrying a little extra 'baggage'....when it is exactly the opposite.

I personally wear bikinis and am not a size 4. They are just more comfortable and I feel that I look ok in them...not perfect...but ok (plus DH doesn't complain either!!).

However, whenever I am putting on my bathing suit, I do get a little stage fright....sometimes my imagination gets carried away and I start thinking that maybe this time there are going to be a group of hard bodies out there...and the only pool chair available is going to be right in the middle of them. I get this fear that they are waiting to just pounce on me and laugh about me wearing a bikini.....but everytime I go out there....it is just regular people having fun....reading books, talking to their friends, swimming, laughing with their kids...just people doing their thing. No one even notices me, except to give a smile in greeting.

Try your bathing suit on again.....put on some sunglasses with it and take a look at yourself. If you still feel self-conscous (sp?)....buy another... many peope have given great advice on where to get inexpensive swimwear.

Good luck!

I have been trying to lose some weight for some time now, have been doing good lately, but I'm still not ready for swimsuit season. I'm boarding the Norwegian Sun this saturday and I would hate to pass up the oppurtinity to swim in that beautiful caribbean water just because I don't feel comfortable in my bathing suit.

The problem though is that my bathing suit is a bikini from 4 years ago that fit my much better before I put on the extra pounds (haven't been to a beach for that long a period of time, swore I would never swim in Dutch waters).

I think I still look decent in it (have always had big boobs) but I'm afraid that I won't be comfortable wearing it in public :o

I have been looking at new bathing suits but I just don't want to spend all that money on something I will (hopefully) never wear again.

Is there anyone in this situation and any advice you can give me?

Thanks in advance

If I were you and felt that uncomfortable, either wear a t-shirt over you swim suit or you could just buy a pair of "swim shorts or skirtini" to go with your top, that would be less costly. Believe me, you will see all kinds out there, so don't worry and just have a blast!

I always feel sexier after a cocktail or 2. (I also feel smarter and much more hilarious) Remember NOBODY feels great the first time they put their suit on. Even swimsuit MODELS get airbrushed after being posed in the most flattering position in the perfect lighting. Trust me you can do it and you will love it!

I would suggest a Miami Surfer Shop for a Rash Guard, those are those funny looking spandex turtle neck t-shirts that surfers wear. They serve two purposes. They protect surfers from the rash that they can get from the sand and the boad and the salt and the wax, but they also provide great sun protection. They dry much faster than a T-shirt and they provide up to spf 50 even when wet. They come in all sizes and are to wear while swimming as they don't get weighted down or out of shape while swimming.

I bought one for my DH and DS in Hawaii, and I'm guessing that surf shops in Miami would have them.

You may not have a chance to see this since you are on your way to Miami probably now, but hopefully you might see this note and a surf shop!!!

She has already sailed...but here is another option for someone that may be in that position....

I wouldn't wear a bikini on my last trip because of the stretch marks on my tummy....Well, my friend was with us and this is what she did and it looked really cute.......

She wore really cute bikini's...Let's say a red and white one....then, instead of wearing a big ol unattractive tshirt over, she wore a red spagetti strap snug tank..it covered her stomach, but you could still see her cute bikini bottoms and the ties of her bikini top around her neck..It just looked really cute. And she wore it into the water..kind of like a tankini, only it really looked cuter.....

• 11 months later...

The way I see it people will either look at the beach bimbo in the thong or the morbidly obese woman wearing the two piece that shouldn't.

You are in the middle of those two extemes so nobody is going to look at you anyway.

Problem solved.:)

I have been trying to lose some weight for some time now, have been doing good lately, but I'm still not ready for swimsuit season. I'm boarding the Norwegian Sun this saturday and I would hate to pass up the oppurtinity to swim in that beautiful caribbean water just because I don't feel comfortable in my bathing suit.

The problem though is that my bathing suit is a bikini from 4 years ago that fit my much better before I put on the extra pounds (haven't been to a beach for that long a period of time, swore I would never swim in Dutch waters).

I think I still look decent in it (have always had big boobs) but I'm afraid that I won't be comfortable wearing it in public :o

I have been looking at new bathing suits but I just don't want to spend all that money on something I will (hopefully) never wear again.

Is there anyone in this situation and any advice you can give me?

Thanks in advance

Since this issue comes up every year, it's a great idea to resurrect this year old thread. It would be great if the OP came back on and let us all know how she did..... if she ended up wearing her old bikini, bought a new suit or bought a cover up.

You know, The middle sized women usually want to sit next to the bigger ones, so just find someone bigger than you. If you're bigger than some other people, just know that they're grateful you're there for them to sit next to, lol! And we all know that no one wants to sit next to the skinny minis!

I'm a little larger than I would like - best asset is the chest, worst is the booty/upper legs. I found a great two piece tankini at Target for less than $35 that shows off the best part and has a skirted bottom to help hide the worst. It makes me feel sexy, but has a decent amount of coverage and the price was great!

I wear board shorts or white sweatpant capris.. and I wear a tanktop over my bikini. I never ever take off my shorts. The least clothes I have on is my bikini top and board shorts. I hardly ever by bikini bottoms anymore. I wear either a pair of board shorts that matches 2 or 3 of my bikini tops, or white "cheer shorts" that match all of them.

This bathing suit thing is a cultural thing I think...in Brazil if women are overweight,they wear thongs and nobody bats an eye. In Europe, you'll see lots of people who are fat and topless and nobody cares.

You go and focus on fun in the sun and water. Nobody is going to look at you so who really cares??? If you don't like how you look in a bathing suit then change something, whether it's go on a diet or find a flattering style.

In the end nobody really cares what you look like anyway but you.:eek:

If your tummy is a trouble spot for you, look into the Miraclesuit. They have many that are made for support of large chests (not one of my problems -- I chaired the Itty Bitty T**ty Committee all thru high school) and they have panels that slim the tummy area (that IS one of my problems :D ).

Here is their website, but they sell them in many department stores as well. They aren't the cheapest, but mine has lasted many vacations!

http://www.miraclesuit.com/

They also have them in the Eddie Bauer catalog: http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/Women/Swimwear/Miraclesuit/index.cat?cm_ven=Search&cm_cat=I-search%20(Google%20Adwords)&cm_pla=keyword&cm_ite=miraclesuit&OESSOA=6053084

Swim shorts are also nice to have. I wear them to keep the backs of my legs from burning while I snorkel.

Enjoy your vacation!

Archived