The Second Time Around

rebeccalouise

I'm wondering if new staff are brought on during the 4 dayers? They consistently get bad reviews, but the cruises/crossings don't. It may well be worth a note to Cunard to find out.

I agree with Kathy. They don't give some of the crew the weekend off.

When we were on our last cruise on the QM2, some of our tablemates asked what we knew about the short voyages. I told them about some of the negative comments I had seen on these boards. Our waiter had told us that he had been a waiter on the QM2 since her maiden voyage. So I told him about comments I had heard about the shorter voyages and asked if he could tell us why passengers had such negative comments. He said that often the ship sails totally full for these voyages. He said that every cabin that can accommodate 4 passengers has 4 passengers and that every cabin that can accommodate 3 passengers has 3 passengers. He also said there were very few cabins with only one passenger. So on these cruises, the total number of passengers is higher than normal (according to our waiter) and this large number is difficult for the wait staff to handle. He also said that some of the menus offered during these short cruises are not very interesting.

I have not been on a short QM2 cruise, so I am only reporting what we were told by our waiter. Of course, one would think that if the increased number of passengers makes service decline, Cunard would not book as many passengers.

Can anyone who has been on both a QM2 cruise of at least 7 days and a QM2 cruise of 3 or 4 days comment on the menus that are offered. Did you see any difference in the menus offered on the shorter cruises?

I have been following the Cunard boards since before the maiden voyage of the QM2. There have always been negative comments about the shorter voyages. Lexxity if you get a response from Cunard, please let us know.

Beth

I understand. Your comments were perfectly reasonable. Anyway, you may have noticed that those of us who love Cunard are their toughest critics.

I agree. I just like the feel of a smaller ship, 2000 or fewer pax.

I don't need "Wow," but I do like the choice of dining outdoors at breakfast and/or lunch. I hadn't thought about the lack of outdoor dining at King's Court. I guess they didn't arrange it that way because of the transatlantics when QM2 is going fast.

Thank you for your comments, Rebeccalouise. Now that QM2 isn't doing cruises out of NYC all the time, I need to "audition" a new line. Celebrity is sounding good.

I think it is good to give other lines a try. I am doing Holland America for the first time over 20 years this coming July. It is a gift from my father and I am looking forward to it. There is something exciting about going on a different ship each time too. Last July (07) I did Millenium for a second time and it was great but I knew the ship inside and out- no surprizes. I like discovering new ships and all their nooks and crannies. In 2009 though- I am looking to do another Celebrity- possibly another Eastbound TA (good deals on these).

Hi Angela-

We did a similar itinerary on the Serenade of the Seas maiden public voyage in 2003- with a few more ports thrown in. We lived in Boston 30 yrs ago, summered in Bar Harbor so many times, our sons know every nook and cranny and DH's cousin lives in Halifax and visited once before. I had my eye on this sailing since we disembarked last July ;). It's our 30th anniversary and were going to also celebrate older DS's college graduation. We called him from the ship and he decided not to go- his loss.

Since older DS (22) not going with us, had to book a triple :(. It's selling well and the balcony triples are almost gone (and no Princess triples left), so we booked on-board to get the OBC. The FCC wasn't as familiar with the booking engine as OUR T/A. I contacted her yesterday to get things in order and to give her our feedback (and informed her of the great cc meeting and cavalcade).

Are you considering the 7/2 voyage? CCers from last year's 7/2 are going and are in Princess Grill. She posted on our 2/15 roll call to wish us well.

P.S Love your NEW sig.

The Cavalcade was indeed fun, wasn't it? There were a lot of different cabins to snoop around in.

Older Son is going to be sorry he didn't go along--what is that boy thinking? Will you get to visit with the cousin in Halifax? It all sounds like a lot of fun. But no, we won't be going because we have to (heh, have to) go on the Lands of Fire and Ice on the Elizabeth just a few weeks later, 31st July. I would like to take the New England/Canada voyage sometime, if/when it's offered again.

It just seemed time to change the signature, you know? ;)

Can anyone who has been on both a QM2 cruise of at least 7 days and a QM2 cruise of 3 or 4 days comment on the menus that are offered. Did you see any difference in the menus offered on the shorter cruises?

Beth

We've been on both short and long on the Mary. Believe it or not, the food for us has been better on the short than the longer! However, there was indeed a more creative menu and more choices on the longer one.

I think what your waiter said was spot on. There were 275 children onboard this past weekend so that right there will tell you there were lots of passengers. We noticed it mostly if we took the lifts--they were almost always full or nearly so.

The Cavalcade was indeed fun, wasn't it? There were a lot of different cabins to snoop around in.

Older Son is going to be sorry he didn't go along--what is that boy thinking? Will you get to visit with the cousin in Halifax? It all sounds like a lot of fun. But no, we won't be going because we have to (heh, have to) go on the Lands of Fire and Ice on the Elizabeth just a few weeks later, 31st July.

I would like to take the New England/Canada voyage sometime, if/when it's offered again.

It just seemed time to change the signature, you know? ;)

We're thinking about fall of 2009 depending on the schedule. Trying to talk Vic, Lexxity & Muzzy into joining us maybe you should consider it too! :D

We're thinking about fall of 2009 depending on the schedule. Trying to talk Vic, Lexxity & Muzzy into joining us maybe you should consider it too! :D

Fall 2009? With the Friends of Hyacinth Bucket? My, that sounds downright irresistible. :)

I agree with Kathy. They don't give some of the crew the weekend off.

No, I meant bringing new staff on to start new contracts and other staff finishing. Actually now I type that I remember our sommelier saying that was about when he finished his contract and was going home for a while.

I AM NOT BORING! HOW VEEY DARE YOU?! BAH AND INDEED PAH!

:D

No, I meant bringing new staff on to start new contracts and other staff finishing. Actually now I type that I remember our sommelier saying that was about when he finished his contract and was going home for a while.

I AM NOT BORING!
HOW VEEY DARE YOU?! BAH AND INDEED PAH!

No you aren't and we have photos to prove it :p

I AM NOT

BORING!
HOW VEEY DARE YOU?! BAH AND INDEED PAH!

That's was from another thread.......:D

Archived