The Second Time Around

rebeccalouise

Just returned from a 4-day cruise on Cunard. I had a wonderful time.

The pros

The ship is in great condition both inside and out

Beds were soo comfortable- hard to get up in the morning.

The cabin stewardess did a good job and many of the crew said "Good Morning" when making my rounds onboard

The youth program was good and the counselors remembered me and my son from our TA last August.

The pools and hot tubs were in good working order and the pools were nice and heated to a comfortable temperature.

Internet was working and pretty quick for the most part

Shows were very good

Trivia in the Pub was good fun but passengers much more standoffish.

The cons

I didn't like being on deck 4 and particularly didn't like being so far aft. Much noise from the motor and vibration all night long. Was better on deck 6 cabin 6147 (last voyage). Also deck 6 starboard aft had the handy laundry room, access to the kids pool and is only one flight up to the buffet- where we tend to eat.

The food was not good in the buffet. No real variety and every thing was pretty bland. It seemed much better on the TA. One thing I noticed more on this cruise was the sheer lack of manners from the people cleaning tables in the Kings Court. They are so eager to take your plates that it is almost like they want you to leave and make room for other passengers and believe me- with a 7 year old there is no dawdling. Also, no one said good morning, hello or was cordial in any way. The design of the buffet might make it hard for the staff to function without running into you at every turn but there is a flow problem and this I think makes their job harder- and grates on them by the looks of things. The exceptions were the people actually serving the food- who were quite pleasant. I work in the service industry and I am very cordial- so this urks me.

I finally made it to the dining room for dinner. The service was not good. The menu I thought was very limited. I found one thing to my liking and they were "out of it" at 6PM- early seating. My salad was good and the main was good after I got the substituted pasta dish. However, my son was finished his meal before I even got mine. Now I know what people are referring too. I had to hunt down the sommelier for my room card- so that my son could go back to the room (bored from the wait for my dinner). The waiter "June" was pleasant, as was the assistant but there seems to be much kaos. It wasn't a relaxing meal.

While the afternoon tea is offered in the Queens Room daily- what a loud zoolike atmosphere. Not my cup of tea.

I now understand why people upgrade to the Grill class because I suspect the service, food and ambiance is nicer there.

I got a great haircut in the Canyon Ranch ($ 107 for a short bob). Don't get the sole rejuvenation massage. The first 20 minutes or so they do a nice exfoliating massage which I enjoyed but then the massuer used a product called "Biofreeze" which feels like BenGay and I was shivering by the end. It was awful- not relaxing and my feet and shins felt like ice for well over 1/2 an hour after the massage. Don't know what they are thinking or why they use this product! My last 3 massages on Cunard (during the TA in August were really good). I had the 80 minute Aromatherapy Massage, a reflexology massage and a swedish massage. The Aromatherapy massage was fantastic. So stick with that if you go to the Canyon Ranch. All 50 minute treatments are $ 145- so they better be good!

First timers on QM2 had varied opinions. One lady traveling with her daughters was blown away (this was her first cruise ever). Another couple that has only cruised once before on Amazara didn't care for the QM2. Although they admitted it was a lovely ship. My tablemates, who I just met last night, were seasoned cruisers and said the Celebrity Constellation was their favorite ship and is planning their next cruise on Explorer of the Seas- rather than returning to QM2. So I wasn't getting a really positive vibe from those who were first timers on Cunard.

This was a nice 4 day getaway for me and I came away relaxed and had a good time. So I am only giving constructive critism and do hope that Cunard makes some changes in regard to service in the dining areas.

After completing my second Cunard voyage (with one booked on 3/20 prior to this sailing). I have come to the conclusion that Celebrity is still my favorite. Cunard was definitely up there in the standings but has fallen a notch. If they could improve their service and food- it would be a better experience.

The pros

The ship is in great condition both inside and out

Beds were soo comfortable- hard to get up in the morning.

The cabin stewardess did a good job and many of the crew said "Good Morning" when making my rounds onboard

The youth program was good and the counselors remembered me and my son from our TA last August.

The pools and hot tubs were in good working order and the pools were nice and heated to a comfortable temperature.

Internet was working and pretty quick for the most part

Shows were very good

Trivia in the Pub was good fun but passengers much more standoffish.

The cons

I didn't like being on deck 4 and particularly didn't like being so far aft. Much noise from the motor and vibration all night long. Was better on deck 6 cabin 6147 (last voyage). Also deck 6 starboard aft had the handy laundry room, access to the kids pool and is only one flight up to the buffet- where we tend to eat.

The food was not good in the buffet. No real variety and every thing was pretty bland. It seemed much better on the TA. One thing I noticed more on this cruise was the sheer lack of manners from the people cleaning tables in the Kings Court. They are so eager to take your plates that it is almost like they want you to leave and make room for other passengers and believe me- with a 7 year old there is no dawdling. Also, no one said good morning, hello or was cordial in any way. The design of the buffet might make it hard for the staff to function without running into you at every turn but there is a flow problem and this I think makes their job harder- and grates on them by the looks of things. The exceptions were the people actually serving the food- who were quite pleasant. I work in the service industry and I am very cordial- so this urks me.

I finally made it to the dining room for dinner. The service was not good. The menu I thought was very limited. I found one thing to my liking and they were "out of it" at 6PM- early seating. My salad was good and the main was good after I got the substituted pasta dish. However, my son was finished his meal before I even got mine. Now I know what people are referring too. I had to hunt down the sommelier for my room card- so that my son could go back to the room (bored from the wait for my dinner). The waiter "June" was pleasant, as was the assistant but there seems to be much kaos. It wasn't a relaxing meal.

While the afternoon tea is offered in the Queens Room daily- what a loud zoolike atmosphere. Not my cup of tea.

I now understand why people upgrade to the Grill class because I suspect the service, food and ambiance is nicer there.

I got a great haircut in the Canyon Ranch ($ 107 for a short bob). Don't get the sole rejuvenation massage. The first 20 minutes or so they do a nice exfoliating massage which I enjoyed but then the massuer used a product called "Biofreeze" which feels like BenGay and I was shivering by the end. It was awful- not relaxing and my feet and shins felt like ice for well over 1/2 an hour after the massage. Don't know what they are thinking or why they use this product! My last 3 massages on Cunard (during the TA in August were really good). I had the 80 minute Aromatherapy Massage, a reflexology massage and a swedish massage. The Aromatherapy massage was fantastic. So stick with that if you go to the Canyon Ranch. All 50 minute treatments are $ 145- so they better be good!

First timers on QM2 had varied opinions. One lady traveling with her daughters was blown away (this was her first cruise ever). Another couple that has only cruised once before on Amazara didn't care for the QM2. Although they admitted it was a lovely ship. My tablemates, who I just met last night, were seasoned cruisers and said the Celebrity Constellation was their favorite ship and is planning their next cruise on Explorer of the Seas- rather than returning to QM2. So I wasn't getting a really positive vibe from those who were first timers on Cunard.

This was a nice 4 day getaway for me and I came away relaxed and had a good time. So I am only giving constructive critism and do hope that Cunard makes some changes in regard to service in the dining areas.

After completing my second Cunard voyage (with one booked on 3/20 prior to this sailing). I have come to the conclusion that Celebrity is still my favorite. Cunard was definitely up there in the standings but has fallen a notch. If they could improve their service and food- it would be a better experience.

Is handing over your room card a normal thing at meal times ? its the first time i have read about it....

$106 for a cut.....bloody hell... will be keeping the future wife well away from the ranch...note to one's self, pack pair of scissors ;)

Brian

Is handing over your room card a normal thing at meal times ? its the first time i have read about it....

You'd hand over your room card when ordering wine in Brittania. And not get clipped quite as much as in the barber chair....

You guys absolutely crack me up:D After 22 years of marriage, no way would I let my hubby even attempt to cut my hair!!! Take my advice Brian, spring for that haircut if your bride asks;)

Thanks for your honest review rebeccalouise. We are really excited for this cruise. It will be our first on Cunard. We wanted to give it a try and if we like it plan a longer cruise. I guess we should keep an open mind right??

Seems funny, that they would "run out" of a menu item at the first seating. Was that the first evening?

I have a question that hopefully you could answer. We are also at the first seating. Since we have also not been to New York before, we are very excited to see the Statue of Liberty at sail away. Because of the first seating, will we miss all of the scenery? We were kind of planning to eat in the Kings Court that evening but that may be a bad choice. Thanks for your help.

Linda

You guys absolutely crack me up:D After 22 years of marriage, no way would I let my hubby even attempt to cut my hair!!! Take my advice Brian, spring for that haircut if your bride asks;)

Thanks for your honest review rebeccalouise. We are really excited for this cruise. It will be our first on Cunard. We wanted to give it a try and if we like it plan a longer cruise. I guess we should keep an open mind right??

Seems funny, that they would "run out" of a menu item at the first seating. Was that the first evening?

I have a question that hopefully you could answer. We are also at the first seating. Since we have also not been to New York before, we are very excited to see the Statue of Liberty at sail away. Because of the first seating, will we miss all of the scenery? We were kind of planning to eat in the Kings Court that evening but that may be a bad choice. Thanks for your help.

Linda

Hi Linda,

Last month we took our first voyage on the QM2 and fell totally in love with her. We can't wait until our next holiday aboard her. We'd never been to NY either and it was wonderful!! You'll be very close to the Statue Of Liberty just walk to Mary's starboard side a there will be the Grand Lady. I think your voyage leaves at 5pm so you'll have plenty of time to be outside and see the sights before dinner. Enjoy!!!

Betsy

Thanks Betsy, just what I wanted to hear:D My DH is in the background saying "how close to the Statue does the QM2 sail?":rolleyes: we are all so very excited. Thanks for telling us the best place to view this also! You would think that this was our first cruise ever!

Linda

Thanks Betsy, just what I wanted to hear:D My DH is in the background saying "how close to the Statue does the QM2 sail?":rolleyes: we are all so very excited. Thanks for telling us the best place to view this also! You would think that this was our first cruise ever!

Linda

Here she is from our stateroom.

ny.jpg.fcc01f48e5a999891b1f375b2043f8bd.jpg

Another post saying that the service on 4 dayers is not up to scratch. You would have thought that Cunard would have taken notice by now.

Hey jgsmuzy- reporting back that Angela took good care of Hyacinth for you. We were on the 7/2/07 4 nighter and we experienced great service on this voyage. (You can look up my posts from 7/2 under the "they're back" thread.)

Since our DS was with us this time, we had to get a triple. We were not planning a vacation. When I saw the price drop in late December, couldn't resist! We were in 5236, one of the last aft balcony cabins- port side. It was a long walk back; seems every time I had to fetch something from the cabin I was forward (library, spa, Commodore club, Planetarium..). Last time we were on Deck 11 midship- was brighter,and more convenient. We really did feel like steerage way back on Deck 5. Would not have minded mid-ship. However, with triple balconies, you take what you can get if booking within a few months.

Our cabin steward, Danilo, was fabulous. Almost felt I had "grill" service in the cabin. His attention to detail (even folding a stray shirt or pair of pants). We caught him cleaning up and folding the clothing in the inside across the hall- three teenage boys whose parents' cabins were nearby.

We had a nice table for 6 in lower Britannia- just inside the starboard doors and John was our waiter. The service was much better than the 7/2 cruise. When I told John about the awful waiter we had, he informed me that the prior waiter was just promoted and it was his first cruise as a waiter. He told me he helped him out a few times. Then he pointed him out to me- his station was right behind us (but my back was to him the whole cruise- so I didn't notice). Our head waiter, Jolanta, was promoted and now Maitre'D at Todd English.

We had much better breakfast service the two mornings we dined in Britannia. Attentive and the food arrived within 15-20 minutes. Now I"m hooked.

We tried the King's court for breakfast the first morning (at DS's request). Food was tasty. However, I had to act like Sherlock Holmes to locate the items I was looking for. I wised up and asked the staff where things were. They were happy to oblige. They even secured a fresh banana for DH.

I have to work tomorrow :(. So I'll write more later in the week or on the weekend.

Bottom line- we've finally booked the July 2nd to Canada/New England on the ship and have a hefty OBC.

Rebeccalouise, I see that you've sailed with several lines. Why is Celebrity your favorite?

NOTE: I am NOT trolling, or trying to start a fight. With QE2 leaving, and QM2 having so little variety in her itineraries, I'm thinking about trying another line. A friend suggested Celebrity, having sailed with them once. My friend loves QE2 as I do, would never sail with NCL again (hated freestyle), but thinks I would like Celebrity. So anything you can tell me about your Celebrity experience in comparison to QM2 would be helpful.

Thanks!

$106 for a cut.....bloody hell... will be keeping the future wife well away from the ranch...note to one's self, pack pair of scissors ;)

Brian

yes- if the sommelier takes your order for wine- they take your room card. He just didn't return it. Gave me two glasses of wine but not the card. Just disorganized.

I've seen several people asking about the Statue of Liberty. While one is able to see it nicely from the QM2 - There is simply no better way to see it than from the ferries which take you there. If you can possible make time while in NYC - even the morning of your cruise - just take the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel to Battery Park and get on the ferry to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. You don't even have to get on the island. The round trip is 45 minutes and worth the while. Cost is only $8.00.

New Yorkers are friendly and will help you find your way to Clinton Castle in Battery Park where you buy tickets.

I'm a New Yorker and love the city much the way you folks love the Queens!

Linda

I only ate in the Britannia diningroom the last night of this 4 night cruise- so only had the one experience there. I got to the table promptly at 6PM for early seating and ordered right away (had my 7 year old with me- didn't waste any time). I ordered spagetti with clams in a white cream sauce. The assistant waiter brought me penne in a red sauce and I pointed out that it was not what i ordered. The waiter saw her put it down and noticed the flub. He told her to take it away. A couple minutes later the waiter "June" returned to tell me that the spagetti was all gone and that was the substitution. At this point the other tablemates had arrived and also ordered the spagetti. June said that the Penne was the substution and my tablemate Susan said that she would like to look at the menu again. He was really rushed and acted sort of puzzled why she would want to look at the menu again. Penne in a spicy red sauce is not comparable to spagetti with clams in a white sauce. He didn't seem to get it. In other words- they aren't sharp as a tack. Susan switched her order to the fish dish.

The Statue of Liberty is not far from where the ship is docked and you will see her within a few minutes of the sailaway. So you will be fine for the 6PM dinner.

Rebeccalouise, I see that you've sailed with several lines. Why is Celebrity your favorite?

NOTE: I am NOT trolling, or trying to start a fight. With QE2 leaving, and QM2 having so little variety in her itineraries, I'm thinking about trying another line. A friend suggested Celebrity, having sailed with them once. My friend loves QE2 as I do, would never sail with NCL again (hated freestyle), but thinks I would like Celebrity. So anything you can tell me about your Celebrity experience in comparison to QM2 would be helpful.

Thanks!

First let me say that my post was not an indictment of Cunard nor do I think they offer a bad product at all- just service isn't their strong point in the "steerage" dining at any rate. The waiter and assistant waiter were both very nice and perhaps the mixups aren't their fault. I got the sense that the diningroom is disorganized.

Now for Celebrity. I have sailed them 6 times and have had a great experience each time. I will say and have said on the Celebrity board- that the food used to be better on Celebrity. I have noticed a decline in the main diningroom (compared to 2001). However, service and ambiance are really good on Celebrity and I feel at home there. The ships are smaller than QM2 and I think that makes a difference in service. Big ships don't generally offer you the same level of service as smaller ships- as a rule.

QM2 is much more beautiful than any ship I have ever sailed. I think that is why I was blown away the first time I sailed her. That and she is great for the Transatlantic- where you want more inside activities. Celebrity ships have clean lines and the ocean liner feel like QM2. But the Celebrity ships aren't "grand" they are beautiful but not the "Wow" factor of the QM2.

I like the freshwater pools on QM2 much better than the pools on Celebrity but I don't like that on QM2 there is no access to the pool from the buffet. QM2 wasn't really designed for indoor/outdoor dining. That I like better on Celebrity (and frankly most other lines have the "Lido" deck with the buffet leading out to the pool and also to a nice aft "alfresco" dining area. That is missing on QM2.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from sailing QM2- I had such a good time that i booked these two mini cruises when I got back (2/15 and 3/20). But I must say that while sailing her this time- although I had a lovely time- I miss Celebrity.

First of all, I travel with just my little boy for the most part. So I like having friendly staff member to chat with and help carry my tray and do the little extras. This definitely didn't happen on Cunard. No one ever offered to refill my coffee like on Celebrity or get my son something from the buffet like on Celebrity. They are really helpful on Celebrity and that was lacking on Cunard. Not a deal breaker of course- just something I miss.

Hey jgsmuzy- reporting back that Angela took good care of Hyacinth for you. We were on the 7/2/07 4 nighter and we experienced great service on this voyage. (You can look up my posts from 7/2 under the "they're back" thread.)

Since our DS was with us this time, we had to get a triple. We were not planning a vacation. When I saw the price drop in late December, couldn't resist! We were in 5236, one of the last aft balcony cabins- port side. It was a long walk back; seems every time I had to fetch something from the cabin I was forward (library, spa, Commodore club, Planetarium..). Last time we were on Deck 11 midship- was brighter,and more convenient. We really did feel like steerage way back on Deck 5. Would not have minded mid-ship. However, with triple balconies, you take what you can get if booking within a few months.

Our cabin steward, Danilo, was fabulous. Almost felt I had "grill" service in the cabin. His attention to detail (even folding a stray shirt or pair of pants). We caught him cleaning up and folding the clothing in the inside across the hall- three teenage boys whose parents' cabins were nearby.

We had a nice table for 6 in lower Britannia- just inside the starboard doors and John was our waiter. The service was much better than the 7/2 cruise. When I told John about the awful waiter we had, he informed me that the prior waiter was just promoted and it was his first cruise as a waiter. He told me he helped him out a few times. Then he pointed him out to me- his station was right behind us (but my back was to him the whole cruise- so I didn't notice). Our head waiter, Jolanta, was promoted and now Maitre'D at Todd English.

We had much better breakfast service the two mornings we dined in Britannia. Attentive and the food arrived within 15-20 minutes. Now I"m hooked.

We tried the King's court for breakfast the first morning (at DS's request). Food was tasty. However, I had to act like Sherlock Holmes to locate the items I was looking for. I wised up and asked the staff where things were. They were happy to oblige. They even secured a fresh banana for DH.

I have to work tomorrow :(. So I'll write more later in the week or on the weekend.

Bottom line- we've finally booked the July 2nd to Canada/New England on the ship and have a hefty OBC.

Lonnie,

I think you will love that voyage, it's a good one. Halifax is a port of call, yes? It's a wonderful city.

Did you book onboard? We put down a deposit because of that gimmick they have where you get some nice onboard credit.

Wow. You realise it was just a few hours ago we were talking in the passageway together? :p

Thanks!

A new friend we met onboard said that he really loves Celebrity, though he didn't say why. But from his tastes and opinions about things I trust his judgment. Just a note to toss in the hopper.

I have to totally agree with OP. This was our first time on Cunard and do love Celebrity the most out of the lines we've been on (HAL, Princess, Celeb and now Cunard). We were a little surprised that the service was definitely not up to what I envisioned a "luxury" brand to be. Dinner service in Brittania the first night was so poor (not getting food or drinks we ordered, having to ask multiple times for things, nobody checking if everything was okay, etc)that we informed the head waiter and he moved us to another table the next night. (I definitely wasn't expecting that). Service was much improved, but there is a sense that the staff is there to do their jobs and not really interact with the guests. This is a big difference from Celebrity and even HAL, and we think it's a nice touch. This is really a matter of personal preference.

Food quality was pretty good, the ship is just beautiful and it was a very nice getaway...but just slightly disappointed after anticipating a very special experience.

I've seen several people asking about the Statue of Liberty. While one is able to see it nicely from the QM2 - There is simply no better way to see it than from the ferries which take you there. If you can possible make time while in NYC - even the morning of your cruise - just take the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel to Battery Park and get on the ferry to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. You don't even have to get on the island. The round trip is 45 minutes and worth the while. Cost is only $8.00.

New Yorkers are friendly and will help you find your way to Clinton Castle in Battery Park where you buy tickets.

I'm a New Yorker and love the city much the way you folks love the Queens!

That's wonderful information, thank you.

I can certainly understand why you love your city so. We can't wait to visit again.

Betsy

Lonnie,

I think you will love that voyage, it's a good one. Halifax is a port of call, yes? It's a wonderful city.

Did you book onboard? We put down a deposit because of that gimmick they have where you get some nice onboard credit.

Wow. You realise it was just a few hours ago we were talking in the passageway together? :p

Hi Angela-

We did a similar itinerary on the Serenade of the Seas maiden public voyage in 2003- with a few more ports thrown in. We lived in Boston 30 yrs ago, summered in Bar Harbor so many times, our sons know every nook and cranny and DH's cousin lives in Halifax and visited once before. I had my eye on this sailing since we disembarked last July ;). It's our 30th anniversary and were going to also celebrate older DS's college graduation. We called him from the ship and he decided not to go- his loss.

Since older DS (22) not going with us, had to book a triple :(. It's selling well and the balcony triples are almost gone (and no Princess triples left), so we booked on-board to get the OBC. The FCC wasn't as familiar with the booking engine as OUR T/A. I contacted her yesterday to get things in order and to give her our feedback (and informed her of the great cc meeting and cavalcade).

Are you considering the 7/2 voyage? CCers from last year's 7/2 are going and are in Princess Grill. She posted on our 2/15 roll call to wish us well.

P.S Love your NEW sig.

I'm wondering if new staff are brought on during the 4 dayers? They consistently get bad reviews, but the cruises/crossings don't. It may well be worth a note to Cunard to find out.

I think I've seen this question raised before. It doesn't seem likely--crew come from all over and can't go home for the weekend.

I think the short-cruise issues are caused by a lack of time for waiters to get to know their pax and get in sync with them. If your waiter and cabin steward get to know you, by the end of your cruise service is seamless and you forget the settling-in period. The short cruises never get out of that period.

Also, it may be that crew figure a short cruise doesn't generate much in the way of extra tips, so it isn't worth the trouble to make an extra effort. This is NOT an excuse, just a suggestion for a reason.

NO excuse for running out of spagetti and clam sauce at the first seating!

First let me say that my post was not an indictment of Cunard nor do I think they offer a bad product at all- just service isn't their strong point in the "steerage" dining at any rate. The waiter and assistant waiter were both very nice and perhaps the mixups aren't their fault. I got the sense that the diningroom is disorganized.

I understand. Your comments were perfectly reasonable. Anyway, you may have noticed that those of us who love Cunard are their toughest critics.

Now for Celebrity. I have sailed them 6 times and have had a great experience each time. I will say and have said on the Celebrity board- that the food used to be better on Celebrity. I have noticed a decline in the main diningroom (compared to 2001). However, service and ambiance are really good on Celebrity and I feel at home there. The ships are smaller than QM2 and I think that makes a difference in service. Big ships don't generally offer you the same level of service as smaller ships- as a rule.

I agree. I just like the feel of a smaller ship, 2000 or fewer pax.

QM2 is much more beautiful than any ship I have ever sailed. I think that is why I was blown away the first time I sailed her. That and she is great for the Transatlantic- where you want more inside activities. Celebrity ships have clean lines and the ocean liner feel like QM2. But the Celebrity ships aren't "grand" they are beautiful but not the "Wow" factor of the QM2.

I like the freshwater pools on QM2 much better than the pools on Celebrity but I don't like that on QM2 there is no access to the pool from the buffet. QM2 wasn't really designed for indoor/outdoor dining. That I like better on Celebrity (and frankly most other lines have the "Lido" deck with the buffet leading out to the pool and also to a nice aft "alfresco" dining area. That is missing on QM2.

I don't need "Wow," but I do like the choice of dining outdoors at breakfast and/or lunch. I hadn't thought about the lack of outdoor dining at King's Court. I guess they didn't arrange it that way because of the transatlantics when QM2 is going fast.

Thank you for your comments, Rebeccalouise. Now that QM2 isn't doing cruises out of NYC all the time, I need to "audition" a new line. Celebrity is sounding good.

Archived