Bringing a jumper for baby?

twopugs

This is a pretty far fetched idea but I just wanted some opinons. My son is a very active baby. We will be cruising when he just over 7 months. I am a little worried that he will be spending too much time in the stroller or ergo carrier and need some stretching out time.

I plan to bring a sheet to lay on the floor so that he can crawl around and some small toys, books, and blow up toys. His favorite thing to do right now is be in the jumperoo. While this isn't the sort of thing you could bring onboard, I was in babies r us and saw quite a few small cheap foldable jumpers that I could easily put in the suitcase.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2564010

Just a way for him to get some energy out as we are getting ready or after a long time in the stroller. It says it must hook to a door frame. Would the bathroom door frame in a cabin work or is there a raised step?

Maybe the closet frame? Or would it just be a waste to bring this?

I totally hear where you are coming from, but I have to say, IMHO, it's not a good idea. You don't say what cruise line you are traveling, but I can tell you that on Carnival (unless you end up with a handicap accessible cabin) there is a step, and as I recall it's got a metal edge. Ouch.

Also, the doorway is relatively narrow, and I'm not sure that the door frame at the top is wide enough to safely support your child.

As for alternates to the bathroom, I can't think of any viable solutions, with the possible exception of propping the hallway door open, but that scares me for other reasons, including your child being bumped into by a passenger not expecting to find a bouncing baby along the hallway.

Some cruise lines allow the under 2 or under 3 set (depending on the line) to make use of the "soft" climbing equipment in the kid's camp when the camp is closed to the older kids, with parental supervision. I think that's where I'd place my hopes for getting your little one some exercise.

If you're going to spread out a sheet on the floor (good idea), I'd place a chair or something in front of any drawers within reach to avoid pinched fingers.

Have a great trip!

The risk of injury is just too great. The jumper is most likely designed only to safely be used in a standard home doorway, one which the manufacturer would know meets certain building standards for strength and size.

A stateroom door is most likely built to completely different specs, and the designer/builder would have never anticipated that this type of attachment would be made.

I would leave it home.

Not a good idea at all. The doorjams and such would not be supportive enough and this would be an accident waiting to happen. My little darling cousin has something similar to a jumper, but it stays on the floor. She loved sitting and bouncing in it when she was 6 and 7 months old. I can't remember the name of it, but I think it's safer than the one on the door

We cruised to Alaska last Summer with our daughter who was 5 months at the time. Instead of a jumper we brought along one of those free standing bouncy chairs. We just took it apart and put it in the suitcase and then assembled it when in the cabin (remember a screwdriver). It worked great to get out some energy because she did spend a lot of time strapped into the stroller. I don't remember the exact name of the chair, but it was one of those Fisher Price Rainforest products. We left the toy bar at home as it was to bulky for the suitecase.

Just got back with a 8 month old. When ever he needed to stretch out we took him up to the camp area. They will let you play with any of the toys up there and on the conquest they had all kinds of bounce chairs and activity tables that my son just loved. He actually learned how to crawl on the cruise because he wanted to explore all the new things he was seeing.

the jumper won't work. The bathroom doors on all ships have a small step up and it is the same with the built in closets- no spot for a jumper.

The new environment will be of great interest to your child. there will be places for a baby to crawl and explore- like the many empty lounges by day.

c-cruise,

My daughter will be 5-months old when we do our first cruise 3/20/08 RCI-Navigator 4-day to Cozumel. Would you mind telling me what kind of stroller you had? We're debating about whether to take a full-size graco quattro tour travel system or an umbrella stroller. We think that she may not be able to sit up in an umbrella stroller, atleast not for very long. Do you see any problems with managing a full-size stroller during the flight, taxicab ride, on the ship, on the tender boats or on a shore excursion (city tour, shopping tour, beach)?

Thanks!

suomynona,

We had the exact same question before going on our last cruise. We ended up bringing our umbrella stroller (Maclaren Quest) and leaving our Graco travel system behind. It ended up being a really good decision because the Graco would have been just too big and bulky for the ship. It was nice to have a small maneuverable stroller for getting around on the ship and in the ports. The best thing was we were able to wheel this stroller right up to our table in the dining room and our daughter slept through most of diner right in the stroller.

Our daughter was only 5 months at the time and she did fine with this stroller. The back is adjustable so it can recline back for infants that can't sit up on their own. The sun shade on the stroller is pretty worthless however so for our upcoming cruise we purchases and add on shade which should provide some more protection.

Another thing to consider is cabin space. We were able to fold up the umbrella stroller and store it in our closet. Our Graco would never have fit. With the pack n' play and all the other baby gear we had it was nice to be able to get the stroller out of the way.

We tendered in Sitka and had no problem getting the stroller on or off the tender. We left it folded up for the tender ride and just held our daughter in our lap.

Didn't take any taxis or planes since this cruise left out of our home town. We did take a tour bus excursion and on that we just folded up the stroller and put it under the bus.

Another suggestion for a stroller....

We had the Graco MetroLite travel system and decided it was too bulky for the cruise.

We wanted an umbrella but also something that had a nice recline b/c our son is 7 months.

We purchased the Combi DX/EX and love it!

It is only 11lbs, folds like an umbrella, has a shoulder strap and does a FULL recline with a safety boot to use for sleeping.

They have a few different models but the Combi Flare and EX or DX seem to be the lightest options for travel.

My only complaint so far is that the mesh under is fairly small and you must lock the wheels prior to folding it. Otherwise it is ideal!

Jolly Jumper makes one that comes with its own frame. You can take the frame apart enough to fit it into a large suitcase (the lower legs come off, the spreaders come off). We used one for our son and were able to bring it in suitcase to visit DM/DD. It'd be perfect anywhere you can get an area about 4X4 (balcony, sitting area with table move out of the way). I'm not sure where to buy Jolly Jumper in the US, we bought ours at a local kids store. Pic attached.

108.jpg.378f03e75c247110bb475f675a9b375f.jpg

Archived