Spencer Ambrose tours????

Sgt. Jeff

All these good reviews of Spencer are making me rethink using Cosol. We don't want to be in a huge group of people- that's why we don't want to do a ships tour! And being able to drive down to the beach is a big plus!

Are there 'facilities' at the beach for changing?

Our ship is in port 9-6 so hope that will give us plenty of time to see everything! Don't like the idea of being dropped off 30 min prior to all aboard- I would be getting pretty worried by then!

Thanks for sharing all the info!

Bev

We were on the Emerald Princess and toured with Spencer last Monday, April 13. We loved St. Lucia, the island is lush and green and so beautiful. Spencer made our day perfect. He was right where he said he woud be and very easy to find. There were only 5 of us. My husband and I were alone and another couple and their son asked Spencer if they could join our group which was fine with us. Spencer was most flexible. We all wanted more beach time at Jalousie Beach, at the base of the Pitons, so we planned our day accordingly. He is a very interesting and nice man with a good sense of humor and excellent knowledge. We have been on tours with private guides in ports throughout the world and Spencer was one of the best. He will definitely give you your money's worth,that is for sure. We had plenty to eat and drink including a delicious home cooked lunch. There were no extra costs- he paid all admissions and handled all the food. Everything was delicious! If you choose Spencer you will enjoy your day in St. Lucia...he is the BEST!

Kathy

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from our cruise and went with Spenser on April 29th. I had arranged a big cruise critic roll call group so there was 30 of us after all was said and done. This was okay and his two brothers had vans and we split into 3 vans. We followed each other to some places but not everywhere so I felt like I was only with my van of 10. Spenser was gracious, took good care of us, fed us well and made sure everyone was happy at all times! I want to go back to St Lucia and spend a land vacation there as it was my favorite island. reminded me more of a south pacific island moreso than any other stop!

Go with Spenser, you cannot go wrong.

Could someone forward me contact information or website for Spencer Ambrose?? Sounds like a great tour!

Here is his website:

http://www.splendidtours.sampa.com/splendid-tours

I think he said he is still working on his website and this is temporary. Note that the pic of him standing next to a minivan..this is not the van you tour in now. He has a bigger van that will fit more people.

It is better to reach him via email. he is very quick to reply to emails:

spencerambrose1990@hotmail.com

I arranged my group with my roll call from here and would email him at least once a week with updates on who was coming so we both did not book too many people for the same trip. It worked out great.

You will not go wrong with his tour. He is the nicest man and his brothers are the same! I can't wait to get back to St Lucia to see more!

You will not go wrong with his tour. He is the nicest man and his brothers are the same! I can't wait to get back to St Lucia to see more!

I TOTALLY agree with everyone here. Spencer is a WONDERFUL tour guide. I just got back yesterday from my Victory cruise (May 3-May10)and Spencer's tour was one of the best of the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We will be in St Lucia in Sept for a wedding at one of the Sandals' resorts. Can we book Spenser for a sightseeing day even if we aren't cruising? Being cruisers, I knew there would be great recommendations on CC about tour guides & the island itself. We booked a private guide for our stop in Jamaica based on CC reviews & it was the best day of our last cruise. Spenser sounds a lot like our day with Marva Shaw in Ocho Rios. Thanks in advance for the responses.

We will be in St Lucia in Sept for a wedding at one of the Sandals' resorts. Can we book Spenser for a sightseeing day even if we aren't cruising? Being cruisers, I knew there would be great recommendations on CC about tour guides & the island itself. We booked a private guide for our stop in Jamaica based on CC reviews & it was the best day of our last cruise. Spenser sounds a lot like our day with Marva Shaw in Ocho Rios. Thanks in advance for the responses.

Yes! You can book him from hotels. He did tell me that he does hotel business as well. Since cruising slows down for the summer/fall because of hurricane season, he probably does alot more hotel business than cruise business at that time of year. Just email him and let him know where you are staying and what day you want to book to check his availability! if it happens that there is a cruise in town the day you want to book, you may wind up on tour with cruisers, but Spenser can tell you that!

Have fun! He is the best and I am looking forward to returning to St Lucia hopefully next year on another cruise and would not hesitate to book him again!

Anyone have any issues contacting him? I sent an email around May 31st and have yet to hear back. Should I email again? Thanks for the help.

Do you have his email as:

spencerambrose1990@hotmail.com

I never had a problem..in fact we had quite a regular email relationship for a few months since I was gathering up a group for our tour. I would email him quite regularly with updates on counts for our group and I always got a reply in less than a few days. Sometimes it took 2-3 days and other times I would get an answer the same day. So I find it weird it has been over a week since you emailed.

Definitely try again!

Anyone have any issues contacting him? I sent an email around May 31st and have yet to hear back. Should I email again? Thanks for the help.

Email him again, he usually will get back in one to two days. We did a tour with him in March, his brother did the tour and had a great time.

Just got back from our cruise and My wife and I had the pleasure of touring with Small (Spencer's brother). Spencer had last minute business to tend to but left us in the very capable hands of his brother and we had a BLAST! The hospitality was great and we enjoyed every moment of our tour. Small knew just how to get us around and stayed ahead of many of the other organized tours to make sure we got to sites first before the become overcrowded. We also got back to the ship on time. You will not regret a single penny spent touring with Spencer or his brother Small. The van was comfortable and CLEAN and they will make sure that you are happy every step of the way.

Spencer came highly recommended to us from Levi Baron of Bumpiing Tours (if you are ever in Dominica be sure to check out Levi too) Both of these gentlemen are EXTREMELY professional and will make sure that you get the most out of your tour.

Thanks to all the great reviews on this board I am about to book with Spencer, but I have one quick question. My 77yo mother will be with us, and she will need, how to say this nicely........ frequent restroom stops. Would you anticipate any problem with this? Also, are there facilities at Jalousie Beach?

Thanks to all the great reviews on this board I am about to book with Spencer, but I have one quick question. My 77yo mother will be with us, and she will need, how to say this nicely........ frequent restroom stops. Would you anticipate any problem with this? Also, are there facilities at Jalousie Beach?

There definitely is facilities at Jalousie beach. We also made a stop I think in Soufriere where all these stalls happen to be. I remember some getting off the bus and finding a restroom. Granted some of these public restrooms are not what we may be used to here. We also stopped at a small restaurant for lunch before the beach that had a restroom. The rest of the time we were driving. I didn't go with the group that did the botanical gardens and other stuff. I went right to the beach..so tehre were probably other stops as well.

SO it really depends on what you mean by "frequent"..if every 10 minutes..it could be a problem..but if she needs something every 1/2 hour or hour..she probably could make it. I would definitely mention it ahead of time to Spenser just so he knows and I know he will go out of his way to make sure your mother is taken care of.

I have a bladder of steel, so I think I only stopped once myself so I tend not to take notice of restroom stops!

hope that helps! We had a great time! His brothers, Neptune and Small, also help out if a bigger group. They all look almost alike..and they are all great!

Thanks Patty. I tend to be like you with a bladder of steel, so when I take her on a roadtrip it becomes an issue because I hate to stop :p She should be able to make it an hour at a stretch if I can keep her away from the beer ;), so I think she will be fine on this tour. I will mention it to Spencer, though so he is aware. I can't wait :)

There are facilities at Jalousie Beach. When we were on his tour in March there would not be many facilities. There are some but few.

My DW and I did the tour with Spencer on June 11th and it was great! We drove through the university, stopped at the banana plantation, drove through some fishing villages, went to the waterfall, stopped at the drive-in volcano and finally spent about 45 minutes at Jalousie beach. Here are a couple of tips:

1. SKIP THE VOLCANO. Spencer gave us this option but everyone wanted to stop here. It's neat to see but not worth the time or hassle. Plus, there are large crowds here. By skipping the volcano, you can get more time at the beach, which is the real highlight of the tour.

2. Bring some motion sickness tablets. One thing I will never forget about St. Lucia is the winding roads. Spencer even points out the longest stretch of straight road on island (next to the banana plantation). After a few hours on these winding roads in a mini-bus, it can get to be too much. The trip back is the worst because there are no stops... just more winding roads. I must have eaten about 7 or 8 ginger candies to ease my stomach.

If you're never been to St. Lucia, this tour is a great way to see part of the island and learn about the culture. On my next trip here, I would like do a different excursion and get outside the touristy stops.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived