Getting to and around the Manhattan Cruise Terminal

Spriteshadow

I'm organizing our trip, and there is a lot of stress going on right now about exactly how its going to work when we get to the terminal.

I have the address, and I've looked at pictures on Google Earth, and if it was just me I'd be happy to wing it from here. But unfortuately my mother and sister, who are a bit more high strung, have been on the boards just enough to read about taking mysterious "Viaduct Ramps," letting some people off in one place, parking another, finding porters, selecting the right trolly for our bags, finding our way to the right place to check in... there are going to be two cars, 4 adults, and twin 19 month olds to wrangle along with our bags, strollers, and way too much stress from backseat organizers. Can anyone provide me with some more detailed information about how we access the terminal by car, and what the process is going to be like from that moment until we get on board?

Thanks.

Chantelle

I'm organizing our trip, and there is a lot of stress going on right now about exactly how its going to work when we get to the terminal.

I have the address, and I've looked at pictures on Google Earth, and if it was just me I'd be happy to wing it from here. But unfortuately my mother and sister, who are a bit more high strung, have been on the boards just enough to read about taking mysterious "Viaduct Ramps," letting some people off in one place, parking another, finding porters, selecting the right trolly for our bags, finding our way to the right place to check in... there are going to be two cars, 4 adults, and twin 19 month olds to wrangle along with our bags, strollers, and way too much stress from backseat organizers. Can anyone provide me with some more detailed information about how we access the terminal by car, and what the process is going to be like from that moment until we get on board?

Thanks.

Chantelle

Here is some info..:)

http://www.nycruise.com/

http://www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/web/ny/home

You will drive up to the terminal. Unload everyone and your luggage. You then will drive over to the parking lot which is right there and walk back and meet everyone inside.

It's really so much easier than it sounds. The ramps etc are fairly self explanatory. If you drive north on the West Side Hwy to make the left, you will be fine. That is the absolute most traffic snarled congested way to go but you will have 20-30 sitting in traffic looking across the road at what you have to do.

Has anyone ever hear of the parking being full at the terminal? I just read its first come first serve and no reservations. I never thought about the parking lot being full! One more thing to worry about.

Its never been reported as full. Last week it was mostly empty....and the next pier was also pretty empty. There are three piers and if one is full they just open another.

I believe I got this infor of the Trailways bus site and it said from the port of suthority to the pier it was 7 + tip. The port of athority is about 1.5 miles from the pier. I don't know how old this inof is and the price may be higher with the price of gas so high.

We are in CT and I am thinking about taking a train in (if we change to a cruise out of NY instead of Miami).. we would arrive in GCT... there are 6 of us.. can we do a cab? Or would we have to do 2? And how much is the cab fare?

I should add that it would be out of the Manhattan terminal

you'll need two cabs about $10.00 per cab.

Would you know if coming from NJ through the tunnel which lane should we be in. I have only taken a train into the city and I am a bit nervous on driving.

depends on whether you are in the Holland Tunnel or the Lincoln.

Holland Tunnel you want to get into the right lane after exiting take the first exit but go straight not the right across to west street, make a right on west street. when you see the signs for 10th avenue take 10th avenue to 59th street make a left and then a left after going underneath the highway

Lincoln Tunnel....you want to go North either the left lane of the south Tunnel or any lane in the Middle tunnel. Make the first left you can to 10tenth avenue...make a right on tenth ave

see above

If you wind up in the right lane and go south just make the first right and then

make a right on tenth avenue...see above

I'm glad my little question has generated some comments... thanks for the advice!

Google Maps is telling me to take the George Washington Bridge. Is this a good or a bad thing???? I'm coming from Fort Lee, NJ.

Chantelle

Good thing from Fort Lee you really don't want to go to the tunnel. Over the GWB down 9a south(the west side highway) after 72nd street stay in the right lane ...its the first exit on the right as the highway ends....

with no traffic its 20 minutes or less...but with traffic at the end figure about an hour

Assuming an ordinary, boring Saturday in Manhattan (ha) around 11:30 am, do you think it would be more the 20 minute or the 1 hour scenario?

Again... thanks so much for the advice. I love that fact that it's getting close enough to start worrying about nitty gritty details like these.

Chantelle

Assuming an ordinary, boring Saturday in Manhattan (ha) around 11:30 am, do you think it would be more the 20 minute or the 1 hour scenario?

Again... thanks so much for the advice. I love that fact that it's getting close enough to start worrying about nitty gritty details like these.

Chantelle

Is this the time you are leaving home or at the pier?

If its at the pier it should be the shorter time. The closer you get to 12 the longer it becomes...most of the time.

remember this is NY City traffic can be very unpredictable.

I find the weekends are better than during the better---shorter waits.

Archived