Visiting A Presidents House in Key West

kingsgirl

It is within walking distance of the dock........just a matter of a few blocks........very interesting if you are in to history......there was no line at all when we went.......

Do you know where the ship docks on this google map by any chance?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=111+Front+St,+Key+West,+FL+33040,+USA&sa=X&oi=map&ct=image

Both times I've visited Key West were on Grandeur, and she docked at "Dock B", which I've marked in my Key West cruise map. I don't have Truman's White House marked, rats, guess I need to make another trip!

You can use the map to find it by entering "Truman Whitehouse" (but without the quotes) in the search box of the Key West map. The marker that comes up is very close, but the actual entry to the property appears to be closer to the cruise terminal by about a half a block or so. (According to a map that appears on the museum's web page linked in a previous post.)

Theron

As Isujim says, it is within walking distance. I'm remembering that it has some strange hours (maybe hours are given in previous post link?) and it closed early the day we were there so that there was not enough time. If it is high on your list, go there first thing.

It's just a short pleasant walk from the ship. You can take a nice stroll, see Truman's White House, Hemmingway's House, Southernmost Point then back up Duval Street to the docks with plenty of time to spare for a drink or two (or three or more) at Sloppy Joes.

We bought a package deal direct from the Trolley that included the Truman White House. I don't want to ignore that Kingsgirl said she specifically was not interested in the trolley and may have good reasons why. But, if you're going to do much other than the Truman White House, it's a great way to get around. The on-off nature of it lets you use it for easy transportation. We did that for several hours and still got a good bit of walking in that day.

It's not too far a walk from the pier. Maybe 10-15 minutes. You can get tickets at the door BTW. We really enjoyed the tour.

Hemingway's house is really cool, and it's only a few blocks from the pier. You can see the descendants of his 6 toed cats, and get a feeling for life on Key West.

Don't need to buy a shore excursion.

Mel

Do you guys or anyone else know where the entrance actually is? From the first link I posted it shows two gated areas but which is the entrance? Do you pay there or do you walk through/around the gates and then just find the house or...?

Both times I've visited Key West were on Grandeur, and she docked at "Dock B", which I've marked in my Key West cruise map. I don't have Truman's White House marked, rats, guess I need to make another trip!

You can use the map to find it by entering "Truman Whitehouse" (but without the quotes) in the search box of the Key West map. The marker that comes up is very close, but the actual entry to the property appears to be closer to the cruise terminal by about a half a block or so. (According to a map that appears on the museum's web page linked in a previous post.)

Theron

That map is great! I was using google earth to try and find upclose where the ships would dock b/c I remembered what it looked like but I couldn't find it! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

The only entrance to Hemingway's house is right on Whitehead St. There is a little kiosk at the entrance that sells tickets. Both the Little White House and Hemingway's House, as others have mentioned, are well worth the visit.

If you take the trolley, be careful. There is one that allows you to get on and off, and one that just drives around and you can't get off.

David

Do you guys or anyone else know where the entrance actually is? From the first link I posted it shows two gated areas but which is the entrance? Do you pay there or do you walk through/around the gates and then just find the house or...?

That map is great! I was using google earth to try and find upclose where the ships would dock b/c I remembered what it looked like but I couldn't find it! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

The marker on my map to the Hemingway House was recorded by me personally, standing on the sidewalk, right in front of the gate that goes into the place... so that one I am sure is correct! :) I didn't record a point for the Truman Whitehouse, but from the map on the museum web site, I think I can probably add a marker that will be fairly close. Just haven't done it yet.

Theron

Do you know where the ship docks on this google map by any chance?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=111+Front+St,+Key+West,+FL+33040,+USA&sa=X&oi=map&ct=image

You'll dock on either side of that circle of water to the left. On top of the circle will put you right in front of the Westin,and practically in Mallory Square, by far the best place to dock in Key West. The other side of that water (an old submarine bay I think) will put you over on the military area. They ussually have transportation waiting over there or you could walk it, real nice neighborhood of townhouses and the like. If you dock over by the sub base stop in to the environmental exhibit over there, great underwater video and interesting exhibits and it's free

We walked to Harry S. Truman's Little White house from the Trolley Station near the cruise ship dock. We left from there as we had taken the trolley tour and bought the combo to also go to the Truman house. They gave us a really nice walking map of the area. It was a good tour. We enjoyed seeing where the former President (who is from Missouri where I live and his actual home is about 25 min. from my house) spent his relaxing time and hearing the stories by the tour director. Don't hesitate to ask questions. They love sharing their knowledge and you learn even more about this interesting piece of history. Enjoy it.

Here is a link with directions and lots of info about the Truman House in Key West. Not only Truman, but many of our other pres visited Key West. The tour is great. You can buy your ticket as you walk in the house. There's a gate and a guard at the gate. He will give you directions to the entrance. One thing some people don't know. Down south if you want to know something about where you are, don't be shy, just ask someone. We Texans talk a lot, but others will talk if you start in. Funny how people don't want to be the first to say something.

http://www.trumanlittlewhitehouse.com/directions.htm

I just added a marker to my Key West map showing the entrance to the Truman White House.

Theron

Archived