We're Back With HAL for Good!

rocknrobin

Hello all - well....we learned our lesson; instead of keeping with HAL this year and cruising with our friends, we sailed on Costa this past January - BIG mistake. Won't happen again! We just booked the Noordam for 1/13 and we can't wait. Anyhow...last year we were in an SY category and we had a mini-fridge in the cabin. The 1/13 cruise is for 20 days, so we opted for a veranda cabin to save some $$$ (VF - Upper Promenade, forward - this category does not have a plexiglass balcony, but steel). My question is - are there mini-fridges in these cabins? I'm not seeing anything listed, but I can't imagine that there wouldn't be one. Also, if anyone's been in this category cabin or in this general location - all info will be appreciated. We just love the Noordam and we are really looking forward to our trip. As I said, last year we had a wonderful cabin, mid-ship, but due to the length of this upcoming trip, couldn't justify the extra bucks. In any event, I know we'll be very happy. Just love to hear all about everything - so please...share!

BTW...is Leo (deck steward outside of the buffet) still onboard? He was going home to the Phillipines for a vacation at the end of our January 07 trip, but planned to be back. He's a great guy - hope he is still with the ship.

Hello all - well....we learned our lesson; instead of keeping with HAL this year and cruising with our friends, we sailed on Costa this past January - BIG mistake. Won't happen again! We just booked the Noordam for 1/13 and we can't wait. Anyhow...last year we were in an SY category and we had a mini-fridge in the cabin. The 1/13 cruise is for 20 days, so we opted for a veranda cabin to save some $$$ (VF - Upper Promenade, forward - this category does not have a plexiglass balcony, but steel). My question is - are there mini-fridges in these cabins? I'm not seeing anything listed, but I can't imagine that there wouldn't be one. Also, if anyone's been in this category cabin or in this general location - all info will be appreciated. We just love the Noordam and we are really looking forward to our trip. As I said, last year we had a wonderful cabin, mid-ship, but due to the length of this upcoming trip, couldn't justify the extra bucks. In any event, I know we'll be very happy. Just love to hear all about everything - so please...share!

BTW...is Leo (deck steward outside of the buffet) still onboard? He was going home to the Phillipines for a vacation at the end of our January 07 trip, but planned to be back. He's a great guy - hope he is still with the ship.

Hi Robin! I'm so glad that you posted this! Tonight Kenny was trying to tell me that he thought that you booked, but apparently didn't get all the info from Rich so wasn't sure where or when. I was afraid I'd have to wait to see you guys to get the scoop. I'm hoping to talk him into booking at least one half of this cruise. I'd rather do it all, but 3 weeks from work is a bit much.

I didn't see Leo at all. In fact, I didn't see anyone from last year's cruise. Although it is possible that Made and Eddie were still on board. I thought I saw Eddie and read that Made was there. Don't forget, we were under Code Red and a lot of people weren't where we thought they should be - LOL. Even the Cruise Director and DJ were different.

As for the fridge, I am fairly positive all the rooms have one. We had one in our C cabin. (Which I loved, by the way)

Talk to you soon. We still have to do dinner.

I forgot to mention, the cabin that Kenny and I had last year was a VF, on the Veranda level (5). We really liked our room, and it rode well in rougher seas. We did have the plexiglass. I presume you've booked specific cabins and already know what you have. I'm sure many will be able to tell you how they liked the forward cabin. As for the steel instead of plexiglass, all that means is that you have to stand up to see the water.:)

Mo - that would be great if you guys came with us - lots to talk about over dinner. I thought all cabins had a refrigerator, but couldn't remember. I have no problem not having a larger cabin - hey, we've been way, way down in the hole many times in the past (LOL) - I've just never been this far forward. Usually like mid ship, but none were available without jumping a LOT of $$$ more. The steel railing doesn't matter to me either - just give me the balcony and a chair!

Thanks everybody for the replies (so far!!)....

So, now that you've been on one cruise on the rather low-rent Costa, you'll never sail anything but HAL?

Am I missing something here? Celebrity/Crystal/Oceania/Radisson are all fine lines, but you'll never sail anything but HAL???????????????????

No AirGorilla, you're not missing anything. We've been on many cruises and on numerous lines, in fact, we've cruised twice on Costa - I'm just stating that our favorite is HAL and, for the $$$, we think it's the best for us. We know what we are getting consistently. That's all. Crystal, Oceania and Radisson are superb, I'm sure, but we've not sailed with them - primarily because of the expense. I wasn't trying to be argumentative - just stating that we'll stick with tried and true HAL. That's all. Geez..sweeten up.

So, now that you've been on one cruise on the rather low-rent Costa, you'll never sail anything but HAL?

Am I missing something here? Celebrity/Crystal/Oceania/Radisson are all fine lines, but you'll never sail anything but HAL???????????????????

Goodness, somewhat hostile. I think someone's preferences in chosing a line is subjective and doesn't really require sarcasm. Sorry, but it just really bothered me.

I agree with you. I have been on many cruises. Two back was Costa and never again with them. We are in out early 40's and a lot of people say HAL is not our age group. On some cruises yes it is true. I just love HAL though. I have meet some of the nicest older passengers and have been friends with them for years. Out of the 6 lines I have tried I feel HAL at least to me wins hands down.

Glad to hear all (almost!) the positive comments on HAL. Wednesday we sail on the Noordam for the first time on a HAL ship. Now I am looking forward to it even more, if possible:rolleyes: We have sailed several other lines, including Costa, which, 32 years ago:eek: , was wonderful. And that was our first cruise ever. Anyway, good to read, thanks:D

Glad to hear all (almost!) the positive comments on HAL. Wednesday we sail on the Noordam for the first time on a HAL ship. Now I am looking forward to it even more, if possible:rolleyes: We have sailed several other lines, including Costa, which, 32 years ago:eek: , was wonderful. And that was our first cruise ever. Anyway, good to read, thanks:D

I used to love Costa and cruised with them a lot in the 70s and 80s. It was a totally different product then and I have no interested in trying the Carnivalized Costa at all.

susiefay, we were on Noordam in June and just loved her. She is truly one of the prettiest ships I have ever cruised and the staff was terrific.

Have a wonderful cruise:)

Susiefay - you will have a wonderful time with no surprises (except pleasant ones!). You'll hate getting off the ship at the end of your trip. Like Caviargirl, we cruised with Costa in the 80's and it was great. This past January we were onboard the Fortuna for 2 weeks and couldn't wait to get off the ship in Ft. Laud. Lousy, lousy, lousy. Never in all our years of cruising have I looked forward to the end of a cruise. In any event - we'll stick with HAL, where they go the extra mile for everyone. Have a wonderful cruise!

:) We are new to cruising and we are booked on the Zuiderdam (Mar 1 2008). We had a really bad experience getting this trip booked, but after reading all these positive comments, I am really getting excited. Any advice for a first time Cruiser?

Peter 8-)

Peter - how wonderful! In a few days you'll be in utter spoiled bliss - and in nice warm weather. Your first cruise is always the best because there's nothing to compare it to. You're setting the bar very high for any subsequent cruise lines you might use. HAL is the epitome of service and class (IMHO). Go and enjoy!

You will have a great time. Try the bread pudding with the sauce. It is great. I was on the Zuiderdam two years back. Beautiful and great ship. It was my girlfriends first cruise. We have done three since on other lines because she wanted to try others. I had done the others before but she hadn't. She says she only wants to do HAL from now on. It isn't the best for kids but from20 up it is great. The night life doesn't run all night but does run late in crows nest. I like to go to the crows nest during sea days and rest in the big chairs toward the front of the ship and watch the sea go buy. I love that the pool can be closed over in the weather is bad. Go to the Texas cook out by the pool one night. It is always good. Have a great time

:) Thanks for the comments. We had a lot of trouble with the booking and our TA had a great approach to it "It's like a stage show. the rehersal can be lousy, but the show will be great". I hope she is right, as everyone has told us HAL is one of the better cruise lines. Is there anything you would recommend with regard to the shore excursions/shopping? Anyplace to stay away from? Thanks in advance.

Peter 8-)

:) Thanks for the comments. We had a lot of trouble with the booking and our TA had a great approach to it "It's like a stage show. the rehersal can be lousy, but the show will be great". I hope she is right, as everyone has told us HAL is one of the better cruise lines. Is there anything you would recommend with regard to the shore excursions/shopping? Anyplace to stay away from? Thanks in advance.

Peter 8-)

We were on the Noordam, Southern Caribbean, and had some wonderful ports. We enjoyed the Baths at Virgina Gorda (Tortola); and last year we went on a marvelous sail, snorkle and swim tour in Barbados (I think). It was 5 1/2 hours and my favorite tour in the past 2 years. We were on a catamaran and stopped to snorkle at two places and then stopped by a beach and swam in. We had a great lunch of flying fish on the boat, and there was unlimited rum punch, beer, and soda for the entire cruise (and a little snack when we first boarded). The crew was fantastic, and more than happy to help in any way. Even if you just sat in the boat (which some of us did) and never got in the water, it was well worth it. You could either sit in the sun or under cover.

I guess that St. Thomas is the best shopping, although I don't shop that much. I did buy earrings this time, at Diamond's International. And, we love just getting off the ship on Sunday morning and wandering through San Juan (we were there on a Sunday both times).

I'm sure others will have a lot of suggestions. And, I'm not 100 percnet sure what itinerary you have.

Enjoy yourself, and keep a positive outlook if small things go wrong, which the inevitably do.

Hi again Peter,

St. Thomas is good for gold and as far as beaches - you can't beach Sapphire Beach. The water and beach are beautiful. We went on our own by taxi, rented lounge chairs & umbrella and ate great cheeseburgers & fries from a shack on the beach - it was great and not too much $$. Nice day. Oh, and in St. Thomas, go over to the open air market in the middle of town -great buys on all sorts of things. The jewelry stores are really nice (right Mo?). Of course, I helped the VI economy.

Grand Turk - we were there on this past January trip; however, the weather wasn't good (rain) for the beach so we stayed on board. Supposed to have a great beach and I think there's a bar there - something like Margaritaville?? People that went there (right off the ship) said it was a good time.

Tortola - we passed on the Baths (Mo - did you and Kenny do that this year or last year?). I've heard it's very nice, but I was concerned about having to climb or manuever down a rocky hill - I'm such a girl...sorry - not very coordinated (LOL).

Half Moon Cay - I'm not sure; HAL's private island maybe? Sorry - we've been to so many islands and mainly "beach" it that they all seem the same to me after awhile...sorry...I'm sure it's lovely.

I'll be a complete idiot after January's 20 dayer. I won't know where the hell I've been (nor care).

Are there any other ports you're going to? Not that I'll be too helpful...LOL

Again...have a wonderful trip!

You are the second person to mention the Baths. I will certainly give it a try. How far is it from the port? Do you use cabs to travel on the islands? And are they safe?

Thanks, Peter:)

Actually, we took the ship's excursion. On the Noordam you don't dock until 3:00 p.m. and only have about 5 hours in port. The ship's excursion has a water taxi or ferry that picks you up right at the dock and then you travel to another island. The trip itself is interesting and, if you have a good guide, they tell you some facts about the various islands. When you get to Virgin Gorda you get into an open air bus for a short trip to the top of the place where you go down to the Baths. You probably spend more time getting to and from the Baths than you do there. But it's very interesting. The walk up and down is a bit long, but with hand holds. The sunset was awesome. Check it out on the boards. Just search for the Baths and there are some nice pictures.

If you don't want to do that, there are taxis all over the place at the dock, and you can pick up some tours right there. We did that last year and had a great driver but the ride was still a harrowing ride, up and down narrow, mountain roads, with awesome views. Just be careful if you don't take a ship's tour, because it's imperative that you get back to the ship at least half an hour before it leaves or it will go without you.

No AirGorilla, you're not missing anything. We've been on many cruises and on numerous lines, in fact, we've cruised twice on Costa - I'm just stating that our favorite is HAL and, for the $$$, we think it's the best for us. We know what we are getting consistently. That's all. Crystal, Oceania and Radisson are superb, I'm sure, but we've not sailed with them - primarily because of the expense. I wasn't trying to be argumentative - just stating that we'll stick with tried and true HAL. That's all. Geez..sweeten up.

Thanks for the reply, and sorry if I offended! I had trouble bridging the gap between one Costa cruise, and "only HAL." I understand now.

Thanks again!!

AG

Archived