short cruises vs. long (1 week or more)

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

I've done the 3 day Baja cruise several times. I live close enough to drive to the Port and have sailed from both Long Beach and San Pedro. I love the weekend cruises and find them relaxing and fun. To tell the truth, I have not seen a difference in the type of passenger who takes a 3 day cruise verses a 7 day cruise. The only difference I have noticed has been when you start getting into the 14 day cruises. We sailed to Europe on the Carnival Freedom last summer and there were fewer children then there had been on other cruises. I enjoy the 3 day cruise because it satisfies my addiction until I can take a longer cruise. Weekend cruises are mini vacations and an alternative to a weekend in Vegas but with everything Vegas has to offer i.e. gambling, good food and entertainment. Interestingly, the 4 day Carnival Cruises to Baja are often less expensive then the 3 day weekend cruise. I don't think I would pay airfare though to fly to the East Coast for a 3 or 4 days cruise because the time goes by so fast.

I've done two seven day cruises and one eight day cruise. I just did a three night chartered cruise three weeks ago. Had it not been a music festival at sea type thing, I probably would have been bored/not looking forward to getting off. But because it was a music festival at sea, I was going, going, going.

I have always taken week long cruises and can't imagine taking one shorter than that because it is depressing enough getting off after 7 days, I can't even imagine how quickly only 3 or 4 days would go by.

So to put it bluntly, do these cheaper, shorter cruises tend to draw more of a riff raft following? No insults to anyone that takes them, but it just seems like it would be loaded with drunken college kids.

wow! no insults?:rolleyes: i can tell by your post that you are clueless about the 5 day b/c for starters, these shorter cruises are NOT always cheaper.

i have taken many 5 day cruises, and i can tell you for a fact i have paid more for an OV (NOT even a balcony) on a 5 day fantasy class ship in july than i have on a longer cruise, balcony room in the off season.

i have 3 children who all cruise, and who also, are in school. aside from summer, a 7, 8, or longer day cruise is not even something we cld really consider during the school year.

i love the 5 day cruises. and i love the Fantasy class ships, despite the lack of balcony staterooms. i have always enjoyed the company of my fellow cruisers on my sailings and i wld absolutely not consider myself riff raff. but, do wish the IRS wld consider me such.

I have always taken week long cruises and can't imagine taking one shorter than that because it is depressing enough getting off after 7 days, I can't even imagine how quickly only 3 or 4 days would go by.

So to put it bluntly, do these cheaper, shorter cruises tend to draw more of a riff raft following? No insults to anyone that takes them, but it just seems like it would be loaded with drunken college kids.

Man are you stirring the pot! I hope that none of the Saint and Sinner 4 crew find this since they are taking a BB short cruised on the Destiny. But from what I can tell, they look like a fun bunch of riff raff to hang around with. I'm thinking about joining them on the SS5. OOPS more riff raff.

No one really answered the OP's question to if these ships tend to attract more people who view these short cruises as nothing but a booze-cruise.

Maybe the choice of words -- riff-raff, is a bit strong, but I interpreted the OP's post to mean people whose main objective is to booze it up and party for 3 or 4 days and have load fun as opposed to really caring about the itinerary of the cruise. I could see how a person might consider this behavior to be "riff-raff" as not all people enjoy an emphasized party atmosphere.

I've read on this forum that cruises less than 7 days tend to have a much larger population of children on them.

but I interpreted the OP's post to mean people whose main objective is to booze it up and party for 3 or 4 days and have load fun as opposed to really caring about the itinerary of the cruise.

Why yes I thought I did...........

I compare a 3 day cruise to a 3 day trip to Vegas. Fun, fast, and Partae!!!

we did a three night cruise from l.a. to ensenada on the paradise in december. it made me even more excited for our seven day cruise in february. i was concerned it would be a "booze cruise" but it was just a cruise. it was actually really nice, we had two sea days, so we had two real relaxing days with no plans so we could just sleep in and chill out. i'm now looking at another three or four day to hold me over until our next 7 day.

Why yes I thought I did...........

Well... yes you did. But others appear to have a tough time seeing the forest through the trees.

Kind of reminds me of someone looking at a house to purchase... and sees a desk under the chandalier and thinks the chandalier is out of place for an office... but then questions why the house does not have a formal dining room... :D

No one really answered the OP's question to if these ships tend to attract more people who view these short cruises as nothing but a booze-cruise.

Maybe the choice of words -- riff-raff, is a bit strong, but I interpreted the OP's post to mean people whose main objective is to booze it up and party for 3 or 4 days and have load fun as opposed to really caring about the itinerary of the cruise. I could see how a person might consider this behavior to be "riff-raff" as not all people enjoy an emphasized party atmosphere.

I've read on this forum that cruises less than 7 days tend to have a much larger population of children on them.

I can't speak for a 3 or 4 day, but the 2 day cruise I took was a serious booze cruise. The strange thing is - those 2 day cruises cost almost as much as a 7 day would unless you get the cheap, last minute, inside room rate like I did - but I did actually find myself wondering how some people on the ship had managed to afford it. :eek: :o It could have been that particular sailing but it was a rough crowd and many didn't ever sleep the entire two days. There were also plenty who apparently had no manners whatsoever - rude, belligerent, and just showng no consideration for anyone but themselves. I really saw very little of this on our 7 and 8 day trips.

Archived