new to cruising

kipper8

Since you are new to this, it's probably best to book through the ship--and on most lines, you can do it in advance.

Unless you are really familiar with the ports and /or the tour companies, you don't want to risk booking something "sketchy" on an island and being late back to the ship! They will NOT wait for you, unless you are on a ship's excursion! If you book through the ship, it takes all of the "guesswork" out of it! They tell you where to meet your guide, and they take it from there! No worries!

I agree with CB at sea...If you are new to cruising I would highly recommend the ship excursions. They will make sure you get to the excursion, and get back to the ship. Once you are used to the islands, you may want to book on your own, but as a first time cruiser, stick with the cruiseline. Have a great cruise!

hi can anyone help me is it better to book trips on ship nor on island any advice will be welcome we are going to southern caribbean in april on the galaxy

You can book your shore excursions in advance on the Celebrity website. You do have to pay for excursions at the time of booking though, however you can cancel up until the cancellation deadline which will be published in the daily on board the ship as well as the excursion form. You can also book onboard, but some excursions may fill up and others may be cancelled do to the number participating.

Also, you might want to join your roll call and possibly meet up with others who might be doing private excursions.

/booking rivate tours requires some work. After deciding what you want to do, you have to find a reputable vendor to take you there.

Keep in mind that if you have a problem with the tour operator, the ship wll not get involved. If the operator brings you back after the ship is scheduled to sail, you are on your own to get to the next port & catch up.

It's best to book online before you get on the ship. That way, there are no lines to wait in, and you can browse excursions at your own pace.

On Celebrity including the Galaxy (which the OP is cruising), you do not have to wait in line to book your shore excursion onboard. You can book them from the interactive TV in your room and your tickets will be delivered to your cabin. There is info about each shore excursion, some with videos, on the TV. The ticket price is charged to your onboard account.

If you book an excursion online before you sail, your tickets will be waiting in your cabin when you board. You do have to provide a credit card which is charged at the time of booking online. There is a cutoff for booking online.

We have booked excursions both ways (online before the cruise and onboard via the interactive TV) as well as getting together with others from the roll call and doing private excrusions.

I am not sure of your exact itinerary, but if you go to St. Thomas and St. Maarten, they are very easy islands to go to a beach or take a tour on your own. There are taxis everywhere! Just get back to the ship about 1 1/2 hours early. There are shops at the dock in St. Thomas if you want to shop, and there are lots of shops within a short ferry ride in St. Maarten.

Enjoy planning for your fabulous cruise!

• Administrators

I agree with the majority of the posters above me. For a newbie cruiser, still learning the ropes and how it all works, booking your excursions via the ship is the least angst-making alternative. However, I give you one cruise to do that. :) Then come back and start asking about cheaper, and virtually ALWAYS better (longer, more inclusive, fewer people etc.), independently-booked excursions.

On Celebrity including the Galaxy (which the OP is cruising), you do not have to wait in line to book your shore excursion onboard. You can book them from the interactive TV in your room and your tickets will be delivered to your cabin. There is info about each shore excursion, some with videos, on the TV. The ticket price is charged to your onboard account.

If you book an excursion online before you sail, your tickets will be waiting in your cabin when you board. You do have to provide a credit card which is charged at the time of booking online. There is a cutoff for booking online.

We have booked excursions both ways (online before the cruise and onboard via the interactive TV) as well as getting together with others from the roll call and doing private excrusions.

Yes, on RCCL you can also book via the TV in the cabin. But if you have time before your cruise...why spend time watching TV in the cabin? I definitely recommend booking before you leave. If you can't, then TV in the cabin is probably the next best way to book.

You can always print out the descriptions of the ones you are interested in from the web site, before you cruise, to make things easier.

One benefit of booking aboard, is that you will have a better idea of what the weather will be like.

Archived