European Sailings are the Shore Excursions Finalized

katiebeth

Just wondering if the shore excursions of Azamara cruises are finalized? We are on the Quest June 21st sailing and the website is only showing shore excursions for Florence, Monte Carlo, and Sorrento (also Rome, although that is the day of disembarkation, day 15.). When I downloaded the brochure that was it as far as excursions.

Does that mean that there are no excursions for Ephesus, Turkey (overnight), Chios, Santorini, Nauplion, Gythion, Delphi, Greece, and Taorimina, Silicy?

Surely, that would not be the case???? I am assuming (hoping) that those excursions have not been posted???

I have been posting rather frequently the past week, because I guess I didn't fully research this cruise line prior to booking. We love Celebrity and have sailed with them several times to Europe and loved the idea that Azamara was a slightly more upscale version of Celebrity.

However, if the shore excursion situation is as it stands currently on Azamara's website, my husband will not be happy with me. Of the 10 ports we visit, there are only shore excursions in 3 of them???? (that can't be possible, can it?)

We have already booked six airline tickets thru Delta (could not get anything thru Azamara custom air). I am hoping that I am that I am panicking a little pre-maturely and all of the excursions have not yet been downloaded on their website brochure.

Anyone with any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nancy

Nancy, Based on what we have seen in the tour brochure for our 18 day SA cruise, we are not surprised by your post. My suggestion would be that you start doing your homework for private tours or simply plan on going off on your own (not really a problem in Europe). Actually, if you are a group of 6 you would do much better by arranging private tours in many of the ports. You can get a lot of info if you simply look at the appropriate port boards (such as Europe/Med) and/or post requests for info on tour operators. Many of us who have routinely been cruising and traveling in Europe for years never even consider booking a cruise line sponsored tour because we do not like their high prices and bus loads of 50.

Hank

Dear Hank,

Thank you for your post. Are you saying that on our 14 day cruise from Athens to Greece on Jun 21st, that Azamara may only be offering excursions in 3 of the ports (Florence, Sorrento, and Monte Carlo). Do you think we could be totally on our own with no options in Ephesus, Turkey, Chios, Santorini, Nauplion, Gythion, and Delphi, Greece, as well as Taormina, Sicily?

Truly, this would seem totally unheard of and not at all acceptable. We have done private excursions throughout Europe, but have booked more excursion sthru the cruise line. Finding independent tour operators in St. Petersburg, Russia, Paris, France, Rome, Italy, Venice, etc. is much easier than finding private tours in Delphi, Nauplion, and Gythion, Greece. Surly, Azamara has not finalized these excursions (as the website would lead me to believe) which would literally leave us hanging in 7 ports. If this is the case, we should have been informed upfront. In other words, they should advertise that they offer very limited excursions in only a handful of ports and that we are "on our own to explore the other ports". If this in fact is the case, I would not have booked. We have a wide range of family travelling with us, and I have always felt that Celebrity offered a nice variety for a wide range of interests.

This is really shocking. Hopefully, Azamara had not yet downloaded the options in these other ports. Otherwise, we will be in for a BIG BIG surprise. We have already booked airfare on our own (couldn't get anything thru Azamara) which is non-refundable.

I wrongly assumed that things would be similar to Celebrity but on a more upscale and intimate level. I am beginning to feel foolish for making such an assumption.

Please post when you get back from your cruise!

Thank you,

Nancy

Hi Nancy !

Have you ever considered calling Azamara directly and asking them for information ? Why not give them a call, and let us know if they were of any assistance. Good luck.

Dear Andy,

I have e-mailed customer service earlier in the week, and have not heard anything as of yet. I may try to call them as well, but truthfully, based on my past experience with Celebrity and my call to Azamara on Tuesday about custom air, I am not truly confident that I would get the correct answer. I have found in the past, that fellow cruisers on these boards seem to have more information than some of the customer service representatives. A real tribute to those who post on these boards and the great information that is exchanged.

This is just my experience, but any time I have called Celebrity, I seem to get a different answer based on who I get on the other end. Their on-board experience has always been terrific but customer service seems to be an issue. (not just my opinion, as I have seen this posted by others).

If you have a specific contact that you feel has been helpful at Azamara in the past, that would be great.

I booked directly through Azamara so using a TA to find out the info. is not really an option.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Nancy

Does that mean that there are no excursions for Ephesus, Turkey (overnight), Chios, Santorini, Nauplion, Gythion, Delphi, Greece, and Taorimina, Silicy?

Surely, that would not be the case???? I am assuming (hoping) that those excursions have not been posted???

Hi Nancy,

I would also assume that some of the shore excursions have not yet been posted for your cruise. I had a look at shore excursion availability on Azamara's web site for Quest/June 7th, and for those ports that there are no shore excursions listed, there is a message which says:

"Shore & Land Excursions are not available for the Port/City you selected.

We are currently in the process of updating/gathering information for this Port/City and ask that you please visit our website closer to your sail date. "

Dear Andy,

I have e-mailed customer service earlier in the week, and have not heard anything as of yet. I may try to call them as well, but truthfully, based on my past experience with Celebrity and my call to Azamara on Tuesday about custom air, I am not truly confident that I would get the correct answer. I have found in the past, that fellow cruisers on these boards seem to have more information than some of the customer service representatives. A real tribute to those who post on these boards and the great information that is exchanged.

This is just my experience, but any time I have called Celebrity, I seem to get a different answer based on who I get on the other end. Their on-board experience has always been terrific but customer service seems to be an issue. (not just my opinion, as I have seen this posted by others).

If you have a specific contact that you feel has been helpful at Azamara in the past, that would be great.

I booked directly through Azamara so using a TA to find out the info. is not really an option.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Nancy

Hi Nancy !

While I realize that many of us have recieved multiple answers at Celebrity, I feel that Azamara does a much better job in this area. I do feel that if you call Azamara, you should fare better.

I would suggest calling the Captains Club # 800-760-0654, and taking the option that gets you directly to Azamara. That is where I have had the most success. I can tell you that I spoke with Paul a couple of months ago, and he was extremely knowledgable, very friendly and patient. I am not sure if he is currently there, but it doesnt hurt to ask for him.

Good luck !

Dear Andy,

I took your very wise advice and called Captain's Club and they put me thru to Azamara after a very brief (yea!) wait I spoke with a representative. She said that Azamara will be offering excursions in the various other ports and they are not yet downloaded onto the brochure on the website. She told me that this should happen by the end of the month.

I also asked her if she thought they would be adding additional options for the European ports that are already showing excursion options and she said yes.

So, this is good news indeed. I will eagerly be waiting to see the updated brochure.

I am not sure if this helps Hlitner. I know Hank is sailing very soon (I believe in March) on the South American itinerary. So the brochure you have may be complete, since it is so close. However, Hank, you may want to call Captain's Club, as Andy suggested to me, and have them put you through to someone at Azamara who know about shore excursions. It may not hurt to ask if they will be adding any additional tours prior to your sailing. If you find out no, then you will know how to proceed in terms of booking your own. If not, it may be beneficial to wait a little while and see what, if anything, will be added.

Glad to report a good experience with customer service. I think calling Captian's Club first may be the key. Thanks Andy!!

Actually, we have the tour brochure for our cruise which I discussed on another thread. But here is my latest anecdote about the awsome marketing team at Azamara. Our cruise will be in Dominica on April 5 and we prefer snorkeling on that island as they have a great snorkel area at Champagne Reef. Of course Azamara does not offer a snorkeling tour (to that reef or any other reef) nor do they offer any water-based tour on an island known for their water. But that is another story. But today I traded e-mails with one of the largest local tour operators on Dominica to arrange our own snorkeling tour. But, I was somewhat amazed when they e-mailed back that the island cruise schedule (this is what all the local tour folks use for their scheduling) has no record of the Journey coming to Dominica. In fact part of the quote is: "I do not see that ship on our ship's schedule, do you know where the ship will dock?" So, I guess Azamara continues to be an unknown product, even in their ports of call. Dominica is a smallish poor island where cruise ships are an important source off revenue. Yet, they do not even have a clue about Azamara. Perhaps the islanders should follow some of Host Andy's advice and call Azamara to find out the cruise line schedule! Tis too funny.

Hank

Dear Hank,

I totally understand your frustration and believe your concerns are completely valid. It does seem extremely odd that Azamara is not offering any water excursion on an island known for it's water activities. In addition, the fact that one of the largest tour operators is not aware that the Journey is scheduled to dock there is equally disturbing.

Based on my experience today, I really would recommend that you contact Captain's Club and ask to speak with someone in the shore excursion department at Azamara. I would also recommend that you e-mail azamaracustomerservice@celebrity.com. I e-mailed them earlier in the week and received a reply today. Their response was basically what the representative told me today, that the brochure is not yet complete (for European sailings) and the remainder of the excursions should be downloaded by the end of the month.

I would put in writing everything you have outlined on these boards (all of your points are valid) and wait for a response. I really think they will get in touch with you. I think they are eager to please, but for whatever reason are really having a hard time getting this line up and running in an acceptable fashion. They need to know your concerns. It sounds like you are a loyal Celebrity cruiser, and initially very excited about Azamara. If I remember correctly you had indicated that if the line proves to be all that it advertises that you could easily see spending 40 to 50 days onboard per year. I think you need to let them know that. I get the impression that they are trying to make things right, but need to know specific areas that need improvement.

Take care and keep us posted. I really hope that your cruise on the Journey exceeds your expectations.

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

But, I was somewhat amazed when they e-mailed back that the island cruise schedule (this is what all the local tour folks use for their scheduling) has no record of the Journey coming to Dominica. In fact part of the quote is: "I do not see that ship on our ship's schedule, do you know where the ship will dock?"

Did you tell them about cruisecal.com?

Archived