Since when do they allow pets on Carnival?? Dog on Fascination

island777girl

I would also wonder if the other passengers are alerted that there will be a dog onboard. Perhaps there are some who have bad allergies, especially those who need epi-pens! It wouldn't be fair to expose those people without warning.

I work for a vet & we have a patient that is a service dog. I think she is a seizure dog. She is a standard poodle. Her owner took her on a cruise - I think it was RC. She said they had a potty station for her on one of the decks that had grass in it for her. I am guessing it was pretty large since she is a big dog. She flies with her owner as well - they book the bulkhead seat & she lays on the floor at her feet. I know when her dog comes to the clinic she doesn't wear a vest, but I don't know if she does in the general public or not.

I think it would be a good idea to somehow identify that it's a service animal, so that people wouldn't question why there was an animal in an area where they usually aren't allowed. A jacket on the larger animals and maybe a distinguishable collar on the smaller ones.

Do you think that would be an invasion of privacy:confused:

On our cruise to Alaska earlier this month; there was a woman on our cruise that had a dog with her. She had a jacket/blanket on the dog that said "SERVICE ANIMAL". I do not know that much about dogs so I do not know what kind it was, only that it was a big dog.

I would also wonder if the other passengers are alerted that there will be a dog onboard. Perhaps there are some who have bad allergies, especially those who need epi-pens! It wouldn't be fair to expose those people without warning.

I just booked a group cruise we are on in January the other day and I think one of the questions the guy asked me is if we had any medical issues.

On our first cruise (Elation) we saw a lady with a Maltese dog, I figured she was a service dog, but the cool thing was that she had a wardrobe to rival any human (more fashionable than me, that's for sure! LOL!).

For sail away, the dog wore the cutest little sailor outfit complete with hat, every day that I saw them, the dog had a different, very cute outfit, even a "blingy" outfit for formal night :D. I got a huge kick out of the dog and talked with the owner a bit and yes, she is trained to alert her owner before she had a seizure.

WOW! I was on a cruise a few years ago and during embakation, I saw an older lady w/ a small dog. My first thought was, why couldn't I bring my baby. Now you have finally answered my question. Never saw her again the whole cruise. thanx

I travel everywhere with the smallest 10 lbs service dog. She can alert to problems with diabetes and does so with my husband. She alerts me to changes in my MS' date=' migrains, acid reflux, and several other problems that people with MS sometimes have. She will even alert if I'm in the sun too long. She travels with me everywhere and has been on 7 cruises so far and we are planning to take her on a TA cruise in November. The potty area is usually a small box of cypress mulch. Sometimes dogs have a lot of trouble going in such a small area which may be some dog's troulble or they could have sea sickness. just don't judge just ask if you can help get them some help.My little dog came to live with our family when we were in a high rise apartment in DC so we just litter trained her like a cat using special dog litter which I am happy to say is what Carnival is using for this purpose now. We just keep her box in our bathroom and make frequent stops. It is very hard to get a dog onto a ship. You not only have to get paperwork from the cruiseline but from everywhere you stop. It takes sometimes months to get anseweres from foreign countries, So next time you see something unsual, small dog or anything else that is weird don't jump. Just ask . You may learn something new about our furry friends.[/quote']

Just curious Mom,

Does your service dog wear anything to denote that it is a service dog? A collar, vest, etc.? A very good friend of mine is a service puppy "trainer." She takes the pups everywhere with her and it is just like a service dog, however when they are out in public, the puppy needs to wear its vest that says she's in training.

Also, a lady who used to go to our church was a paraplegic, and her service dog always wore a vest when out in public.

Just wondering....

We had a woman on our last cruise who had a service dog - fairly small, but I have no idea what breed it is. I did not ever speak to her, since we sat near her on lido deck one day and listened to her scream angrily at several people who approached her to ask about her dog. I guess there may be too much interest sometimes.

i work in public transportation.i don't know if its law or our policy but any animal `must be accepted as service animal on the word of the person only .we had a passenger refused by a driver who claimed kitten was service animal.it turned out that her mental health doctor did indeed use a kitten to stabilize her disorder .it was legitimate.

That is the problem. There is little oversight or standards for the definition of a "service animal". If you get anxious when you are away from "fluffy" you can have it decladed a service animal.

That is the problem. There is little oversight or standards for the definition of a "service animal". If you get anxious when you are away from "fluffy" you can have it decladed a service animal.

That's kind of what I was thinking about that service animal, kind of a " Cart and horse" thing. Does the animal alert of an up coming anxiety attack or does the absence of the animal cause the attack? The next logical question is would it make any difference ?

I think it is amazing that dogs, cats or even (LOL) miniature horses can be an aid to people in this manner.

I think it is amazing that dogs, cats or even (LOL) miniature horses can be an aid to people in this manner.

It is amazing, isn't it. It's so wonderful that people can possibly be alerted to a life threatening situation by having their service animals with them.

That's kind of what I was thinking about that service animal, kind of a " Cart and horse" thing. Does the animal alert of an up coming anxiety attack or does the absence of the animal cause the attack? The next logical question is would it make any difference ?

In the case of epilepsy....the dog signals the person (usually with an unusual gesture .... so it would not be confused with normal dog habits)...

and about 20 minutes later...the person has a seizure.

The difference it made in one man's life is that now he can drive again.

Before the service dog, he did not dare drive because he never knew when he was going to have a seizure.

Now he can go about a "normal" routine knowing he has a 20 minute alert to prepare himself for the seizure.

What a blessing!!

Many children with Autism use them as well. Children will be tethered to the animal so that they do not do things like run out into traffic.

i read somewhere a while ago that certain disorders, seizures for one example cause the breath of some to have a very a faint oder very specific to oncoming of event .it is not noticed by the person but animals with there super noses smell it and are trained to alert on the smell

Animal allergies rarely require such heavy-duty gear as epi-pens. :rolleyes:

I used to work at the local theme park and we had a guest with a season pass with the funniest service animal. She had a parrot that rode on the lady's shoulder, when she was going to have a seizure the parrot would jump onto the ground and yell "Call 911, Call 911!!!" I know it is a serious condition, but the parrot squawking around on the ground was funny, but effective.

There is also a service animal at my university, she is a Lhasa or a **** Zu, I've never asked the lady who walks the little one, but he/she does wear a vest.

~Kristie

I have a friend with a heeler that would predict her bird's seizures. They found out by accident. The bird was on medication that in his case, caused seizures. Owner noticed after a few times that her dog, who never paid any attention to the bird at all, would suddenly go over by the bird cage. Within a few minutes the seizure would occur. Now that the bird is off the medication the dog is back to ignoring it.

My son works as a waiter in an upscale restaurant here in New Orleans. A couple of weeks ago, a lady came in with a cat. The lady had a seizure disorder, and the cat was trained to detect an oncoming seizure. She (the cat) would begin yowling, a very distinctive warning.

She told my son that cats are harder to train but much easier to deal wth because of their size and bathroom habits.

Fortunately, no seizures, and the cat slept through dinner in an empty chair.

Archived