Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

We are on Norwegian Star June 21st from Pier 66. Staying at the Crowne Plaza.

What time should we plan to check-out and I assume a taxi, sorry I meant cab, will be the best way forwards from there.

There seems to be some debate over the best time to arrive at check-in and being an impatient soul I want to be on the ship as soon as is possible.

Jean the Brit

Jean: Last season, we tried always to begin check in by 1030 and boarding not later than 1115 or so. Barring any unforeseen circumstances imagine they will do the same this year.

Plan check out for 10'ish.....

I have done tons of reading here (took me about a week to get through all of the posts on the thread) and on Trip Advisor and I am no closer to finding a hotel for a pre-cruise stay in June. We will be there for 2 nights, arriving at 5pm on Friday, and leaving on HAL on Sunday morning. No Mariners games that weekend, so all we are interested in doing is walking around looking at touristy stuff and stopping at a good brewpub and maybe going to the zoo. The biggest issue is that we are a family of 4 needing 3 beds somehow - combination of beds, sofa bed, sofa, rollaway. Don't really want to spend the $$$$ to get 2 rooms. The hotel websites don't always mention if there is a sofa in the room and a lot of the downtown hotels don't allow a rollaway. If there is easy access, either by public transportation or renting a car, we are willing to stay anywhere. We don't need anything fancy, but do expect it to be clean and well-kept, and would prefer a queen/king bed for 1 of the beds.

The Holiday Inn on Dexter has a king room with bunk beds, shuttle from the airport $35. How is the location? The Silver Cloud Inn is appealing as they are close to Terminal 30 and have a free shuttle downtown. The Quality Inn on Aurora has 2 queens and can do a rollaway, but the latest reviews on Trip Advisor are not good.

Is the CityPass worth it? I was thinking that with a full day pre-cruise and a half day post-cruise we might be able to do most of the activities. Or would this be too much to try?

Our flight is at 5:30pm on the day that we leave, is there somewhere that we can store our carry-ons? I am hoping to use the baggage express for the checked bags. We are willing to rent a car for either pre and/or post cruise if necessary.

Thank you so much, Karen, for all of the help that you provide.

I have done tons of reading here (took me about a week to get through all of the posts on the thread) and on Trip Advisor and I am no closer to finding a hotel for a pre-cruise stay in June. We will be there for 2 nights, arriving at 5pm on Friday, and leaving on HAL on Sunday morning. No Mariners games that weekend, so all we are interested in doing is walking around looking at touristy stuff and stopping at a good brewpub and maybe going to the zoo. The biggest issue is that we are a family of 4 needing 3 beds somehow - combination of beds, sofa bed, sofa, rollaway. Don't really want to spend the $$$$ to get 2 rooms. The hotel websites don't always mention if there is a sofa in the room and a lot of the downtown hotels don't allow a rollaway. If there is easy access, either by public transportation or renting a car, we are willing to stay anywhere. We don't need anything fancy, but do expect it to be clean and well-kept, and would prefer a queen/king bed for 1 of the beds.

The Holiday Inn on Dexter has a king room with bunk beds, shuttle from the airport $35. How is the location? The Silver Cloud Inn is appealing as they are close to Terminal 30 and have a free shuttle downtown. The Quality Inn on Aurora has 2 queens and can do a rollaway, but the latest reviews on Trip Advisor are not good.

Is the CityPass worth it? I was thinking that with a full day pre-cruise and a half day post-cruise we might be able to do most of the activities. Or would this be too much to try?

Our flight is at 5:30pm on the day that we leave, is there somewhere that we can store our carry-ons? I am hoping to use the baggage express for the checked bags. We are willing to rent a car for either pre and/or post cruise if necessary.

If you don't mind staying near the Sea-Tac Airport, Embassy Suites has a 2 room (Bedroom and Pull out Couch) rate of $199.00 a night, or 2 Bedroom rate of $399.00 a night.

http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_US/es/hotel/SEATUES-Embassy-Suites-Seattle-Tacoma-International-Airport-Washington/index.do;jsessionid=D7F58B3B9F325D1019F0456594437FDE.etc32?ctyhocn=SEATUES&brand_id=HI&brand_directory=/en/hi/&xch=194562085,RWJVZZCRJW0KMCSGBJC2VCQ

You seem to be the Seattle expert on this forum so I'm hoping you can help me.

What is the most cost effective and quickest form of transportation?

1) From the airport to the Hampton Inn - Downtown?

2) From Hampton Inn to Pier 66 (NCL)?

3) From Pier 66 back to airport?

We do not want to rent a car since we're only in Seattle for 1 day before our cruise. Our flight arrives at noon on Friday and we leave for our cruise on Saturday at 4:00 pm. So that doesn't leave us with much time.

How is the Hampton Inn? Is it in a decent area? Or is there a place you could recommend closer to the pier?

Is the Duck Tour worth it or is there another tour you would recommend to get a good overview of the city? Here is what we want to try and do/see:

1) Space Needle

2) Pike Market

3) Walk along the waterfront

4) Olympic Sculpture Park5) Eat Dim Sum in Chinatown for lunch (Friday) - Any recommendations?

6) Eat dinner downtown (Friday) Seafood? - Any recommendations?

Is there anything that you would recommend as a must see/do/eat?

Thanks for your input!

Of the three, I go with the Silver Cloud, because of the location and the fact that it is a much nicer property.

The City Pass IS good. I always get one for my out of town visitors when they are here during tourist/summer season. I think you could certainly do most of them in 1.5 days.

The concierge at the cruise terminal will keep your bags for you for $3.00 per until 2:30 in the afternoon, at both Pier 66 and Terminal 30.

You seem to be the Seattle expert on this forum so I'm hoping you can help me.

What is the most cost effective and quickest form of transportation?

1) From the airport to the Hampton Inn - Downtown?

2) From Hampton Inn to Pier 66 (NCL)?

3) From Pier 66 back to airport?

We do not want to rent a car since we're only in Seattle for 1 day before our cruise. Our flight arrives at noon on Friday and we leave for our cruise on Saturday at 4:00 pm. So that doesn't leave us with much time.

How is the Hampton Inn? Is it in a decent area? Or is there a place you could recommend closer to the pier?

Is the Duck Tour worth it or is there another tour you would recommend to get a good overview of the city? Here is what we want to try and do/see:

1) Space Needle

2) Pike Market

3) Walk along the waterfront

4) Olympic Sculpture Park5) Eat Dim Sum in Chinatown for lunch (Friday) - Any recommendations?

6) Eat dinner downtown (Friday) Seafood? - Any recommendations?

Is there anything that you would recommend as a must see/do/eat?

Thanks for your input!

Transportation:

1. I would take Gray Line's airporter to and from the airport. It is the most cost effective of any of your options.

http://www.graylineseattle.com/airportexpress1.cfm

On the way back, you can catch the connector at the Marriott directly across the street from Pier 66.

2. From the hotel to the pier, taxi is pretty much your ONLY option with luggage.

Hampton Inn is fine. I cannot recommend any place of similar quality anywhere nearer the pier, because they would cost you about twice as much.

The Duck tour is very much worth the entertainment value.

You're not going to believe this, but.......I've been here for seven years in about 15 days, and I have yet to eat in the International District. I do PF Changs in Westlake Center for my Chinese food....;)

As for the seafood, if you want to do it downtown, go to McCormick and Schmick's on 1st Av. If you want to do it closer to the Hampton Inn, go to McCormick and Schmicks on South Lake Union (Westlake Av).

Thanks for your input. Can you recommend anything else besides McCormick and Schmick's? It's a great restaurant but we have them here where we live too. Rather eat somewhere in Seattle that I can't find in Florida, somewhere the local would eat. Is there such a thing as great cheap seafood in Seattle?

Thanks for your input. Can you recommend anything else besides McCormick and Schmick's? It's a great restaurant but we have them here where we live too. Rather eat somewhere in Seattle that I can't find in Florida, somewhere the local would eat. Is there such a thing as great cheap seafood in Seattle?

There is great seafood in Seattle, but the places that I would recommend are not downtown per se.

I would recommend Ivars, Anthonys, the Fisherman's or the Crab Pot, all of which are on the waterfront. However, cheap is in the eye of the beholder. The average price of a good seafood dinner here is around $20+ per person, depending on the species of seafood you are consuming, primarily because of how fresh it is, straight off of the fishing boats for the most part.

You might consider Homewood Suites near the Space Needle. We stayed there one time and really liked it. They have a bedroom, living room with a pull out sofa, and a kitchen. They furnish a nice breakfast, and a light meal in the evening during weekdays, which is complimentary. We found it easy to get around. We love to walk in Seattle because there is no humidity. The hills didn't bother us. We are staying in Lynnwood in a couple of weeks at Embassy Suites. They also have great accomodations with a living room, bedroom, and great breakfast. We will have a rental car this time, and plan to stay north of Seattle to make it convenient to travel to Vancouver. Hope you enjoy your trip as much as we have enjoyed our past trips!!! This will be our fourth time in Seattle.

You might consider Homewood Suites near the Space Needle. We stayed there one time and really liked it. They have a bedroom, living room with a pull out sofa, and a kitchen. They furnish a nice breakfast, and a light meal in the evening during weekdays, which is complimentary. We found it easy to get around. We love to walk in Seattle because there is no humidity. The hills didn't bother us. We are staying in Lynnwood in a couple of weeks at Embassy Suites. They also have great accomodations with a living room, bedroom, and great breakfast. We will have a rental car this time, and plan to stay north of Seattle to make it convenient to travel to Vancouver. Hope you enjoy your trip as much as we have enjoyed our past trips!!! This will be our fourth time in Seattle.

Don't believe the no humidity part, though....:D It averages 40-50%.

Is it possible to walk from the Hampton Inn to Pike Market Place, Chinatown or the Waterfront area? Or do I need to take a cab or bus?

Pike Place about 1.5 miles, International District about 4-5 miles, main waterfront 1-1.5 miles. So it certainly is possible to walk to any or all depending on how much you like to walk. Buses are readily available.

Plan your separate trips here:

http://transit.metrokc.gov

and click on the trip planner

Don't believe the no humidity part, though....:D It averages 40-50%.

Karen, have you ever visited the Mississippi Gulf Coast? Seattle feels like heaven compared to what we have in the summer. Wish we could afford a summer home in Seattle. Then I could invite you over for some of our great southern cuisine.

Ruby

Karen, have you ever visited the Mississippi Gulf Coast? Seattle feels like heaven compared to what we have in the summer. Wish we could afford a summer home in Seattle. Then I could invite you over for some of our great southern cuisine.

Ruby

Hi neighbor (sort of;) ) humidity? You are preaching to

the choir from down here~I am in Jacksonville, FL and

I so agree with you. The south is sooooo humid compared

to the NW.

As for that Southern Cuisine, Can I come over too?:D

Lets make some Fried Chicken and melt in your mouth

biscuits!:)

Ruby

Gulf Coast? Hmmm.......do my relatives in Pass Christian, Muscle Shoals, Slidell and Metairie count? Yes, I would much rather be here than there....

I'm making jambalaya (a huge pot) for this weekend. Shall I save you some?

Laissez les bon temp rouller, char!

Gulf Coast? Hmmm.......do my relatives in Pass Christian, Muscle Shoals, Slidell and Metairie count? Yes, I would much rather be here than there....

I'm making jambalaya (a huge pot) for this weekend. Shall I save you some?

Laissez les bon temp rouller, char!

Yes, your relatives in Pass Christian are our next door neighbors. Guess you know about our area, or what Katrina left of it. Your jambalaya sounds GREAT! We hope to be enjoying your cool weather in two weeks. Can't wait!!!

Ruby

Hi neighbor (sort of;) ) humidity? You are preaching to

the choir from down here~I am in Jacksonville, FL and

I so agree with you. The south is sooooo humid compared

to the NW.

As for that Southern Cuisine, Can I come over too?:D

Lets make some Fried Chicken and melt in your mouth

biscuits!:)

You are welcome to some of my Southern Cuisine. Everyone comes to my house to eat. My son thinks I make the best fried chicken ever. Of course he just knows how to keep me cooking.

Ruby

Yes, your relatives in Pass Christian are our next door neighbors. Guess you know about our area, or what Katrina left of it. Your jambalaya sounds GREAT! We hope to be enjoying your cool weather in two weeks. Can't wait!!!

Ruby

Yep, I sure do, though I haven't been there in a few years.

Where we are, a little north of Houston, the humidity is right at 70 % now. In the summer the avg humidity is 90 % in the morning and at least 60 % in the afternoons. The air is so heavy at times it's difficult to breathe. You feel like you are suffocating. :eek:

Oh Houston area humidity is the WORST!

LOL Funny story...when we moved to Texas we went tent camping down near Galveston. When we checked in the lady said "I hope you brought a fan" I thought what the heck....no need for a fan. We have camped all over Europe in our tent and never needed one. Welllllllllllllll 1 night and that was ALL we could handle. We moved quick to camping in a trailer not a tent LOL We have even seen people with a/c window units in their tents.

Ooops sorry to get off topic there :-)

Where we are, a little north of Houston, the humidity is right at 70 % now. In the summer the avg humidity is 90 % in the morning and at least 60 % in the afternoons. The air is so heavy at times it's difficult to breathe. You feel like you are suffocating. :eek:

Archived