Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

You are going to have a vehicle, correct? The only vehicle ferry to Victoria is the Coho out of Port Angeles, and you have to reserve it well in advance. Otherwise you will have to go up to YVR and take the BC Ferry across (it is about a two hour trip each way). Going to Whidbey would put you kind of out of the loop if you want to go to Victoria, so probably Everett (as Bangor would also put you kind of out of the loop for that trip).

This is the right answer if you are set on staying in one place for the five days.

Our first trip up this way, we took a "right" out of Seatac, to the south. I-5 to Hwy 16, then Hwy 3 to Silverdale/Bangor/Poulsbo - spent one night.

Then on up 3, crossed the Hood Canal, got to see the Olympic Game Farm (always my favorite "retirement home" visit) Hurricane Ridge and slept civilian in Port Angeles.

Caught the Coho and spent the next night in Victoria. - My favorite up there is the Royal Scot Inn if you are strictly into old world comfort and like having your own kitchen. Several nice places by the Harbor. When I've been on a budget the James Bay Inn served well, but it IS Budget.

Then we caught the ferry from Sydney (just N of Victoria) to Anacortes. From there it is lovely trip to Whidbey, the longest island in the United States.

From Whidbey we had a nice drive to Everett and got to see the towns north of Seattle.

We made one more stop, the ferry to Bainbridge and bought a house the next day (Honey, I found the perfect souvenir:D .) Twenty-two years later we're still here.

This is the right answer if you are set on staying in one place for the five days.

Our first trip up this way, we took a "right" out of Seatac, to the south. I-5 to Hwy 16, then Hwy 3 to Silverdale/Bangor/Poulsbo - spent one night.

Then on up 3, crossed the Hood Canal, got to see the Olympic Game Farm (always my favorite "retirement home" visit) Hurricane Ridge and slept civilian in Port Angeles.

Caught the Coho and spent the next night in Victoria. - My favorite up there is the Royal Scot Inn if you are strictly into old world comfort and like having your own kitchen. Several nice places by the Harbor. When I've been on a budget the James Bay Inn served well, but it IS Budget.

Then we caught the ferry from Sydney (just N of Victoria) to Anacortes. From there it is lovely trip to Whidbey, the longest island in the United States.

From Whidbey we had a nice drive to Everett and got to see the towns north of Seattle.

We made one more stop, the ferry to Bainbridge and bought a house the next day (Honey, I found the perfect souvenir:D .) Twenty-two years later we're still here.

I grew up in Seattle area and would like to move back! I haven't been back since I graduated from high school in 1983 and miss it tremendously! In fact, our graduation party was held on Bainbridge Island. I don't remember where.

I just booked 5 nights in Everett just in case, but if the first hotel in Seattle agrees to hold our luggage for 7 people, I would not mind a road trip and spending 1 night in Victoria and 1 night at Navy Lodge Bangor.

Do you know which one has the exchange, food court, commissary, etc.? within walking distance to the lodge?

Karen,

We need to get to the Sheraton after the cruise from pier 30. Are there plenty of taxis available?

Thanks,

Hi Glenn, I'm not Karen but I can assure you there

are plenty of taxi's available:). It will not be a problem.

I have sailed from there twice and no worries!:)

We lived in Winslow the first year we were here, but the commute got to be too much for all of us, so moved over here after that. I would like to move back someday, though. I love it over there.

Hi,

Can you tell me if there are any stores within walking distance to the HAL terminal? We'll be transferring to the terminal directly from the airport and were wondering if we could pick up some sodas/water/wine before we board the ship. We'll be arriving on a Sunday (wasn't sure of local liquor laws).

Thanks in advance for any help

We arrive in Seattle after cruise on Jun 14 and are staying at

SpringHill Suites - Question: We are going to ball game that night

we have a van rented but with traffic and not being familiar with

the streets would it be better to just use taxi or bus to Safeco

field. What about leaving the Park again would taxis be avail or

buses?

I have really learned a lot from your post - Thanks,

Francine

Karen:

Would you have any reservations about taking the train from Portland to Seattle before a cruise? I guess its the Amtrak Cascade and it only starts in Oregon somewhere? Since we've never been to that part of the world, is it more scenic than driving? Finally if we did it a day in advance, and were staying at the Marriott at Pier 66, how close is the King St station to this hotel?

Hi,

Can you tell me if there are any stores within walking distance to the HAL terminal? We'll be transferring to the terminal directly from the airport and were wondering if we could pick up some sodas/water/wine before we board the ship. We'll be arriving on a Sunday (wasn't sure of local liquor laws).

Thanks in advance for any help

Nope, the closest would be Sears, a number of blocks away (Terminal 30 is in an industrial area). There are blue laws in WA for hard spirits, but you can get wine and beer at grocery stores, but the nearest one of those would be in West Seattle, about 4-5 miles away. I understand that there are a few stores in the main/central terminal at SEA-Tac where you could get wine. Look at earlier pages on this thread, I believe the names are there (or under the Wine in Seattle thread).

We arrive in Seattle after cruise on Jun 14 and are staying at

SpringHill Suites - Question: We are going to ball game that night

we have a van rented but with traffic and not being familiar with

the streets would it be better to just use taxi or bus to Safeco

field. What about leaving the Park again would taxis be avail or

buses?

I have really learned a lot from your post - Thanks,

Francine

Bus or walk would be far better for you. Taxis charge extra for fractions of minutes waiting time, and wait they will in traffic around the Safe.

Plan your bus trip here:

http://transit.metrokc.gov

Karen:

Would you have any reservations about taking the train from Portland to Seattle before a cruise? I guess its the Amtrak Cascade and it only starts in Oregon somewhere? Since we've never been to that part of the world, is it more scenic than driving? Finally if we did it a day in advance, and were staying at the Marriott at Pier 66, how close is the King St station to this hotel?

The Cascades train is great. You can catch it at most of the major stations between Eugene and Seattle (i.e. Salem, Portland, et cetera). Much less stressful and more scenic than driving. Marriott is about 2 miles from King Street Station.

I grew up in Seattle area and would like to move back! I haven't been back since I graduated from high school in 1983 and miss it tremendously! In fact, our graduation party was held on Bainbridge Island. I don't remember where.

I just booked 5 nights in Everett just in case, but if the first hotel in Seattle agrees to hold our luggage for 7 people, I would not mind a road trip and spending 1 night in Victoria and 1 night at Navy Lodge Bangor.

Do you know which one has the exchange, food court, commissary, etc.? within walking distance to the lodge?...

Navy Lodge Bangor (always ranking way on up there in military polls) is across the parking lot from the liquor/mini-store and McDonalds. Then up the little hill about a block is the chapel, then NEX, comm. on the right and on the left the weekday cafeteria, bowling lanes, fitness center. Straight ahead is the theatre and a few other things.

Walk out of the Lodge and look up the road and your heart will jump at the sight of the Olympic Mountains.

You want a restaurant near the airport? "13 Coins" is close by...

I had a wonderful meal there back in October:D

Not sure what the locals on here would say, but for me,

it was a fun and funky place with "anything you could possibly want"

on their menu:)

Hi Can anyone suggest a few great places for lunch near SeaTac? We are flying in a day early and are looking for a place for lunch before doing a little sight seeing.

Thank you in advance.

Just wanted to say Welcome, I see this is your first post!

WELCOME!!!:D

Dianne

Karen--Seattle CruiseLover

First, I want to thank you for all the knowledge you've shared on this thread. You've made planning my pre-cruise visit to Seattle so easy!

But, I still have more questions & one in particular ... getting around Seattle on foot. We're staying at the Holiday Inn Express, plan to walk over to Space Needle then take a Duck tour. After that we want to go to the aquarium which I think from reading this thread is downhill, so we'll walk. But, my question for you is (esp. if returning is uphill) ... what is easist way to get back to hotel?

Karen--Seattle CruiseLover

First, I want to thank you for all the knowledge you've shared on this thread. You've made planning my pre-cruise visit to Seattle so easy!

But, I still have more questions & one in particular ... getting around Seattle on foot. We're staying at the Holiday Inn Express, plan to walk over to Space Needle then take a Duck tour. After that we want to go to the aquarium which I think from reading this thread is downhill, so we'll walk. But, my question for you is (esp. if returning is uphill) ... what is easist way to get back to hotel?

Getting back from the aquarium, I would walk south to the ferry terminal (about 1/2 mile) and catch the number 16 bus, which will let you off at Dexter almost across the street from the HIE.

Seattlecruiselover you are a wealth of information about your beautiful city!! Thanks. We're staying at the Alexis after a 12 Alaskan cruisetour. We plan to transfer from Vancouver to Seattle, and unfortunately we're not able to take the Amtrack train. I think we'll take the Quick Shuttle. We're staying at the Alexis hotel. Any suggestions about your favorite fresh fish restaurants and/or laundromat near the Alexis Hotel?

An interesting combo; food & laundry!!

Archived