Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Soonercourt, The cruise your going on was our first also! Just an amazing time. We went in August and the weather was unpredictable. I agree with Karen Layers, and hoodies came in useful.

We went on Princess tours and I was so glad we did, we got back late from a Kayaking excursion and were the last ones on. The ship waited, it wouldn't have if it was a private excursion. We also went on one where we Helicoptered in , hiked in the mountains and took the train back. It was expensive but something we would probably never get to do again. I have taken Private excursions on other cruises but always make sure I'm due to get back at least 2 hours before ship departure time.

One thing we did in Juneau not through the cruise ship was Mt Roberts Tram, it's close to where you dock and what a view!!

http://www.alaska.net/~junotram/Information_Center/information_center.html

You are going to have sooo much fun!!

Dianne

Thanks for all the great ideas! :D I appreciate everyone's feedback. It is sooo helpful! Great advice about booking the excursions...I don't want to get left behind.

I guess the things we want to do most are the Underground Tours and the Duck ride. unless....Would it be feasible to go to Pike's Market early on Saturday morning before we check out from the hotel? I read somewhere that they open at 8:00. This may not be realistic...so I thought I'd ask. If not, then my priorities are Pike's Market and the duck ride. (We need more time in Seattle!)

Thanks again for all the great information. :)

I will definitely honor your request! Too bad we can't generate our own team instead of stealing someone elses!

Soonercourt

Karen - We will be staying at the downtown Marriott pre-cruise for 1 night in july. My plan is to just explore the city with my family (pre-teen kids) on foot. Are the neighborhoods around the hotel, out to the seattle center and pikes market safe to walk with kids? how about in the evening? Any areas to avoid in that part of town? Thanks..

Thanks for all the great ideas! :D I appreciate everyone's feedback. It is sooo helpful! Great advice about booking the excursions...I don't want to get left behind.

I guess the things we want to do most are the Underground Tours and the Duck ride. unless....Would it be feasible to go to Pike's Market early on Saturday morning before we check out from the hotel? I read somewhere that they open at 8:00. This may not be realistic...so I thought I'd ask. If not, then my priorities are Pike's Market and the duck ride. (We need more time in Seattle!)

Thanks again for all the great information. :)

I will definitely honor your request! Too bad we can't generate our own team instead of stealing someone elses!

Soonercourt

They do open at 8 on Saturday morning. You would probably have time for a quick run through before going back to check out of the hotel and make it to Terminal 30 in time to check in for boarding.

Underground Tour and Duck Tour are in opposite directions from the hotel. Underground Tour is in Pioneer Square at 1st Av and Yesler. Walk down to 1st Av and catch a 21, 22, 56 or 67 bus and ask to be let off at Yesler. Tour is in the building on the northeast corner, plainly marked.

When you get done there, catch a 15 or 18 bus out in front of the building the tour is in. You will need to get off at 1st Av North and Republican, and walk back into and across Seattle Center past the Space Needle (use it for your compass/guide) and cross the street cater corner to the Duck Tour (directly across the street from McDonalds).

Thanks for that. In my book Bennett and Stern are sleazeballs and crooks. Sure OKC deserves a team, but not ours. An expansion team would have been more appropriate.

Karen - We will be staying at the downtown Marriott pre-cruise for 1 night in july. My plan is to just explore the city with my family (pre-teen kids) on foot. Are the neighborhoods around the hotel, out to the seattle center and pikes market safe to walk with kids? how about in the evening? Any areas to avoid in that part of town? Thanks..

I don't think you will lbe walking to Seattle Center from the Waterfront Marriott, unless you are bringing oxygen with you. The hills are about 25% grade between those two places. Go to the market first (go up in the elevator in the parking garage), then walk up Pine Street to Westlake Center and take the monorail to Seattle Center, then walk back to the hotel, down hill all the way.

The neighborhoods are fine during the day. In the evening, you will need to be vigilant. Ignore any panhandlers or others who try to engage you. Act like you belong and know where you are going, and you will be fine.

I just booked a room through Priceline at the Red Lion on 5th avenue for our pre-cruise night. We are planning on seeing the music experience and the pike's market. They will be having the annual festival at the market this day. (5/31). Does anyone know anything about this hotel and how close the walk is to these places we are going?

I just booked a room through Priceline at the Red Lion on 5th avenue for our pre-cruise night. We are planning on seeing the music experience and the pike's market. They will be having the annual festival at the market this day. (5/31). Does anyone know anything about this hotel and how close the walk is to these places we are going?

Red Lion to the Market: Four blocks West and about 3 blocks North

To get to Seattle Center, go to Westlake Mall (about 4 blocks north on 5th Av) and take the monorail right to Seattle Center

We're considering downtown Seattle hotels for a precruise stay in October. The Red Lion looks like a good choice, although I am not familiar with it personally.

Did you book your room through Priceline's regular site or did you bid on a room and just happen to get the Red Lion?

Karen - as always thanks for your advice. One more for you if you dont mind. If we had to book either the Marriott downtown or the Hotel Andra for about the same price for a day before the cruise (leaving out of Pier 66), assuming the same rate, which would you choose? Please take into account which is in a more walking around friendly neighborhood in addition to the niceness of the hotel. Thanks.

Post cruise we are staying at SpringHill Suites, is there any place near it to purchase sundries - ie: shampoo, conditioner, razors.

We are driving from Seattle down to SF and are only taking hotel sized

sundries on board cruise and need larger sizes for road trip.

Thanks for all your information I have enjoyed reading all the posts,

Francine

We're considering downtown Seattle hotels for a precruise stay in October. The Red Lion looks like a good choice, although I am not familiar with it personally.

Did you book your room through Priceline's regular site or did you bid on a room and just happen to get the Red Lion?

Actually I went through priceline bids. I bid for a 3 star in the downtown area, and only bid 1/2 the average price.I bid $74 and really didn't expect to get the offer accepted. It was accepted and I got the Red Lion. The regular prices would have been over $200 per room.

Karen - as always thanks for your advice. One more for you if you dont mind. If we had to book either the Marriott downtown or the Hotel Andra for about the same price for a day before the cruise (leaving out of Pier 66), assuming the same rate, which would you choose? Please take into account which is in a more walking around friendly neighborhood in addition to the niceness of the hotel. Thanks.

The Andra is a boutique hotel, on 4th Av, with one of Tom Douglas' restaurants in the same building. It enjoys a good reputation.

It is about equidistant from everything that you might want to see as the Marriott Waterfront is, just that one is farther west than the other.

Andra to the Market 3 blocks west, four blocks South. Marriott to the Market about 5 blocks South, then straight up in an elevator.

Marriott to Pier 66, less than 100 yards. Andra somewhat over a mile.

Far less people in the neighborhood where the Marriott is after dark, and those there are are considerably less rowdy than those around the Andra, since the Andra is in Belltown, and it is a trendy, clubby type of a neighborhood. Safety about the same.

The Marriott is a top of the line Marriott property. The Andra, again, is a boutique type hotel.

Post cruise we are staying at SpringHill Suites, is there any place near it to purchase sundries - ie: shampoo, conditioner, razors.

We are driving from Seattle down to SF and are only taking hotel sized

sundries on board cruise and need larger sizes for road trip.

Thanks for all your information I have enjoyed reading all the posts,

Francine

I assume that you mean the SpringHIll Suites on Yale? Or do you mean the one by the Airport?

If the one by Yale, you can go about 1/2 mile down Olive to 5th Av and make a quick left onto 5th. There is a Bartell's drugs right there that would have everything that you need.

Hi Karen,

Just finished reading all of the posts on this thread, you are very generous with your time and knowledge! I thank you, I also have a few questions. We were in Seattle last year in May and did the Underground tour and walked around the area, rode the monorail and went up the Needle, also did Pikes Market. Enjoyed it all!

We were thinking of doing something different this time and wanted your opinion. We will not have a car, but do not mind public transport. Thinking of doing Bainbridge Island by ferry and by foot, is this feasible or do we need a car to better appreciate the Island?

Also, we are thinking of going to the Fremont Sunday market , do you recommend this? It looks like fun.

Again, thanks for your help. We love your city!

Hi Karen,

Just finished reading all of the posts on this thread, you are very generous with your time and knowledge! I thank you, I also have a few questions. We were in Seattle last year in May and did the Underground tour and walked around the area, rode the monorail and went up the Needle, also did Pikes Market. Enjoyed it all!

We were thinking of doing something different this time and wanted your opinion. We will not have a car, but do not mind public transport. Thinking of doing Bainbridge Island by ferry and by foot, is this feasible or do we need a car to better appreciate the Island?

Also, we are thinking of going to the Fremont Sunday market , do you recommend this? It looks like fun.

Again, thanks for your help. We love your city!

Oh, no, going to Winslow (BI) is very feasible. The town is less than a mile from the ferry terminal, and there are plenty of nice shops and places to eat there (I used to live there).

Fremont Sunday market is also good. Fremont is kind of a kinky neighborhood, but, as long as you are not there for Solstice, things will be find (way too many totally naked people in the parades on that weekend, and other freaky occurrences).

Karen,

You have done a great job with this thread. Alot of valuable info.

Question...if you saw this map, what hotel do you suppose the #1 would be? Listed as a 4 star establishment on Hotwire. Has a heckuva good price on it.

mqserver.dll?e=0&GetMapFromSession.1=SessionID:4810ec0a-0091-0005-02b7-363f-a26cea000139,DisplayState.1:0,72,1,Authentication.2:3ac7%60osp%24Yw%3Fd330,31120,,-230485655,&hwcb=1209068565844

I'm guessing Marriott Waterfront, though it could be the Edgewater. Both are within 100 yards of Pier 66. Not that that helps us in the least.......

BTW, how are you and those storms getting along?

Karen,

You have done a great job with this thread. Alot of valuable info.

Question...if you saw this map, what hotel do you suppose the #1 would be? Listed as a 4 star establishment on Hotwire. Has a heckuva good price on it.

mqserver.dll?e=0&GetMapFromSession.1=SessionID:4810ec0a-0091-0005-02b7-363f-a26cea000139,DisplayState.1:0,72,1,Authentication.2:3ac7%60osp%24Yw%3Fd330,31120,,-230485655,&hwcb=1209068565844

Hi,:) are you looking at the one that says "Best Value" for 115.00?

I am wondering what that is too! 4 stars.......

I'm guessing Marriott Waterfront, though it could be the Edgewater. Both are within 100 yards of Pier 66. Not that that helps us in the least.......

BTW, how are you and those storms getting along?

Thanks for the info.

Well, Dallas/Fort Worth is still being pounded about once a week. Had more tornadoes around the area on Wednesday. Last week on Thursday we had a meeting and were out in the car when the hail hit. It was deafening and very scary, but no car damage or house damage. The week before that on Wednesday we had straight line winds and hail and the entrance to our developement has a brick entry way with about 10 mature trees lining either side. The winds were so damaging that we lost about half of all the trees at the entry, broke them off at the ground. there are 80 homes within our development and I would say that 50% had fence damage (we did) and 80% lost all of part of at least one tree. We lost power for aboiut 8 hours. NWS said it was not a tornado. Yeah right. We have more thunderstorms predicted here today and tonigjht. Thanks for asking.

Yeah, but I think it says $119....I am sure it is the same one. Are yoou going to chance it? Will you let me know if you discover anything?

You are sailing the day after we leave. My husband and I are on the same ship/itin as SeattleCruiseLover. So when are you flying in to Seattle? Do yo have any room reservations yet. My friend, Yvonne (CC-H20) have been so confused, but Karen has helped up on our board.

Hi,:) I am flying into Seattle on 9/13 and taking the train up

to Vancouver the next morning.

I booked the Hampton Inn so I know I have a nice place

to stay and you can cancel without any penalty.

I got the room for a total of 165.00. It was 143.00 with AAA

discount..taxes = 165.00.

I usually use Priceline but to fill you in.....I had booked a cruise

for OCT and used Priceline and they accepted my bid.

BUT AFTER I did that, I found this cruise in Sept for nearly

500.00 less than my Oct one.......

I rebooked but lost the room......though I am still ahead pricewise.

I needed another hotel for SEPT and instead of Priceline I

feel like I wanted to book through a "normal site" if that makes

sense.

So I booked the Hampton through the hotel's website.

Karen gave it a thumbs up as well:)

Hi,:) I am flying into Seattle on 9/13 and taking the train up

to Vancouver the next morning.

I booked the Hampton Inn so I know I have a nice place

to stay and you can cancel without any penalty.

I got the room for a total of 165.00. It was 143.00 with AAA

discount..taxes = 165.00.

I usually use Priceline but to fill you in.....I had booked a cruise

for OCT and used Priceline and they accepted my bid.

BUT AFTER I did that, I found this cruise in Sept for nearly

500.00 less than my Oct one.......

I rebooked but lost the room......though I am still ahead pricewise.

I needed another hotel for SEPT and instead of Priceline I

feel like I wanted to book through a "normal site" if that makes

sense.

So I booked the Hampton through the hotel's website.

Karen gave it a thumbs up as well:)

Totally makes sense

Hi Karen,:) I noticed a restaurant mentioned on another thread

The Purple Cafe? Purple Wine Bar? The menu sounds awesome

along with all those wines...have you been there? Would you

know how far it is from the Hampton?

Archived