Brooklyn Terminal Park N Fly?

Sunnybunny5

We are driving down from MA on February 29 for a QM2 cruise, I read somewhere about a Park N Fly for $9 at the Brooklyn Pier. Anyone know if it is secure and a good idea or not. If you park there can you do a drop off first at the terminal(we have alot of baggage), then one person can drive to drop off the car and take the shuttle back to meet up with us. Do you have to pay just to pull in to the terminal parking lot?

Good idea to save $100 or not?

Christine

We are driving down from MA on February 29 for a QM2 cruise, I read somewhere about a Park N Fly for $9 at the Brooklyn Pier. Anyone know if it is secure and a good idea or not. If you park there can you do a drop off first at the terminal(we have alot of baggage), then one person can drive to drop off the car and take the shuttle back to meet up with us. Do you have to pay just to pull in to the terminal parking lot?

Good idea to save $100 or not?

Christine

Where is the Park and Fly? Its the first I heard of it. I live about a mile from the pier and go down there every few days. If its a secure lot in the area why not. But parking at $9.00 is such a bargain.its like finding $9.00 parking in Boston..I would want to know where it is first and who has used it and how the transfers have been.

I guess it must be a misunderstanding, as no one has replied that it does exist, I did read about it on one board, but don't remember where.

any suggestions whether to take the Sawmill Parkway to Hudson River Pkwy to Brooklynbattery bridge or the 95 to Whitestone bridge by 687

what do you think? AAA says to go the way of Sawmill the trip should take 3.5 hours. Gooogle and Mapquest say to go the other way and it will take 4 hours. I really like going Sawmill, its a nice relaxing ride.

Any input you have will be appreciated.

I forgot to say we are starting out west of Boston on the Masspike, both ways go thru Hartford I think.

Christine

Ive said this before, My summer house was east of New Haven. There are two basic ways to go but I don't know how far east you are. Are you more comfortable with 95 or 91? In either case, I would get off them and take CT 15(Merritt Parkway)(just south of Hartford or just west of New Haven). To the Saw mill you take the Merritt to the Huchinson River Parkway to Cross county Parkway to Saw Mill River south to the Hudson River Parkway to the BBT- this has the advantage of being without trucks once you are on the Merritt. The Other way is to take the Merritt to the Hutch to the Whitestone Bridge---I avoid 95 because of the trucks as much as possible, The Merrit is a much prettier ride. You really don't believe either 3.5 or 4 hours do you...

How long do you think it is to Hartford from the terminal?

We were going to leave at 8am to give ourselves extra time in case we got lost or had a flat tire. What do you think?

Christine

BTW my dad really doesn't want to take the Hudson River Pkway/sawmill parkway route because he is afraid of traffic on Manhattan while I really would like to go that way because of trucks and an easier drive.

Have you ever seen the Hudson Pkwy backed up on a Friday at noon or 1pm?

We were going to leave at 8am to give ourselves extra time in case we got lost or had a flat tire. What do you think?

Christine

BTW my dad really doesn't want to take the Hudson River Pkway/sawmill parkway route because he is afraid of traffic on Manhattan while I really would like to go that way because of trucks and an easier drive.

I assume you don't mean being by Hartford at 8 am....Its should take about 2 to 2 1/2 hours from Hartford. Normally mid day your shouldn't hit much traffic west side Manhattan. You WILL hit traffic on the BQE on the way down from the Whitestone Bridge, The last section of the BQE between the Williamsburg Bridge and the Manhattan Bridge is being reconstructed.

The tolls are slightly more expensive going down the Sam Mill as you pay at the SpitenDivil Bridge(1.50 i think) and the BBT which is the same as the Whitestone(4.00)....

You will have a surface highway with lights from 57th street to the BBT(about 4 miles) on the West side but I think this is easier and less traffic 99 times out of 100.

These are your choices. I would tell you the way without tolls but its fairly complicated and not worth the detours unless you really know what you are doing.

Here it is it misses the west side of Manhattan...

when you are on the Cross County parkway take the exit to the thruway southbound(you wind up next to it for one light) get on the thruway. Take the Fordham road exit west bound. Make the left at the first light go to the end follow it around right and make the first left which will take you to the Harlem River drive southbound to the Brooklyn Bridge exit. Take the Brooklyn Bridge(no toll) stay in the Middle lane and go straight ahead(not the exit to your right) go straight to Atlantic Avenue(about 6 lights) make a right on to Atlantic Avenue go straight ahead under the highway and make the first left and then the first right and follow that around to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal....

That is the way I come back from CT.....but I drove it hundreds of times. From My House in Westbrook on a Sunday night it was almost exactly two hours door to door.

Christine

We went to Yankee Stadium last summer by way of the Sawmill parkway with no problems and then came home the other way using 95. What a huge mistake that was. There was sooooooooooooo much traffic coming in and out of NY and CT! We sat in traffice for at least 2 1/2 to 3 hours! I will never take 95 to NY again coming or going. I have never had a good experience using 95 to go to NY or come home.

Archived