Australian opals

Linda-E

We landed in Sydney on Sunday morning. After dropping our luggage off at our hotel, we walked to the Rocks Market to check it out. There is a booth with various gems and minerals for sale including opal jewelry. They had the typical touristy doublet and triplet opal necklaces and earrings, but also had a selection of boulder opal sliders for $49AUS. I wish I could have purchased all of them, but bought the one that I thought had the most "fire" under the lights. Put it on a silver chain when I got home and it looks great. Love it!!

Sounds like a stand at the Rocks where I bought a beautiful pair of opal earrings on studs -- a smaller stand with some exquisite pieces (a necklace that I would have bought if we hadn't already spent so much money travelling during the previous weeks:p). I just checked the box for the earrings, and the owners are Poppy & Tony of Osprey Jewellery. Same??

Sounds like a stand at the Rocks where I bought a beautiful pair of opal earrings on studs -- a smaller stand with some exquisite pieces (a necklace that I would have bought if we hadn't already spent so much money travelling during the previous weeks:p). I just checked the box for the earrings, and the owners are Poppy & Tony of Osprey Jewellery. Same??

Sharon, I know the one you are talking about - I saw their opals, also. No, this was a stand where there were two young guys and they were selling mostly raw opals, minerals, and stones with opal veins running through them ($5 to $35 AUS). They also had displays of touristy type opal jewelry and a tray of boulder opal sliders/pendants to put on chains. Don't remember if they had a company name on their stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
I bought a lovely boulder opal necklace and earrings in Opal Minded, a store in the Rocks area of Sydney.

That store had a great assortment AND a discount for guests of the Holiday Inn.

I also found a great little shop around the corner called Opal on the Rocks and got a nice loose doublet that had a look I liked in my souvenir budget. In both stores I found that if I told them my price range they showed me the best they could do within it and then showed me what more could buy.

Archived