Australian opals

Linda-E

I've been doing some research on opals (my birthstone). I'd like to buy solid opal jewelry (not doublets or triplets) when in Sydney in April. Can anyone recommend a reputable jeweler? Are there some places the locals shop that have reasonable pricing?

Thanks.

Hi Linda,

To answer your question I will need to know your budget! There are opals and there are opals. You need to research it well as if you want a black gem quality opal you will need to have at least AU$5000 to get something special. If you want a while crystal opal, it will be much cheaper.

Here is a link to a previous discussion.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=462228

Let me know your budget, if you want to put it in a ring, pendant or earrings (this will be dependent on whether you want a pair of similar shape and quality, or a single stone).

I suggest you buy an opal loose, that way you can determine that it is not a doublet or a triplet, and you can see exactly what you are getting.

Syd has many fine jewellery stores, and as the saying goes, "You get what you pay for." However, know this, there is no such thing as a "bargain" if you are wanting quality.

For starters, try these stores - look them up online and make an appointment to see the jeweller when you arrive in town. DW and I have made a purchase from PM's and they are excellent. We have only dreamed of buying from F&R.

Percy Marks (The Rocks and Market Place)

Fairfax and Roberts (Market Place)

M.

As was explained to me last week in Sydney, a doublet (2 layers) is the opal attached to a backing (stone?), a triplet is attached to a backing and also has a top "glazed" layer (3 layers). Hope I've got that right!

Okay, thanks for the explanation. Are they pretty, did you buy one. Is it something affoardable. Thanks for the information.

Marilee

Okay, thanks for the explanation. Are they pretty, did you buy one. Is it something affoardable. Thanks for the information.

Marilee

Hi Marilee,

I didn't buy any doublets or triplets, but did buy a simple pretty little pair of black (dark blue) opal studs (earrings) at The Rocks market in Sydney. (More souvenir value than anything else, but I do like them a lot.) They are set in sterling silver and were AU $ 75 (about US $ 70). Like those cruisers buying gemstones in South America, you really need to do your homework before investing in opals in Australia. There are lots of different qualities AND prices. As the Australians have already said, there are probably no real bargains - you get what you pay for.

Good black opals (very fiery dark colors, but not necessarily black) are gorgeous and can go for many, many thousands of dollars -- unset. The whitish (more crystal looking) ones that we are used to seeing in the U.S. are MUCH cheaper generally because they are more plentiful.

Hi Marilee,

I didn't buy any doublets or triplets, but did buy a simple pretty little pair of black (dark blue) opal studs (earrings) at The Rocks market in Sydney. (More souvenir value than anything else, but I do like them a lot.) They are set in sterling silver and were AU $ 75 (about US $ 70). Like those cruisers buying gemstones in South America, you really need to do your homework before investing in opals in Australia. There are lots of different qualities AND prices. As the Australians have already said, there are probably no real bargains - you get what you pay for.

Good black opals (very fiery dark colors, but not necessarily black) are gorgeous and can go for many, many thousands of dollars -- unset. The whitish (more crystal looking) ones that we are used to seeing in the U.S. are MUCH cheaper generally because they are more plentiful.

Thanks for the information, Like you I want a souvenier more than anything. I do not want to pay more than $100 or $200.

Marilee

If you want a cheap opal - why not ask your local jeweller in the states to get some in for you to choose from?

I have posted a link for you to read up some info! Good luck, and I am sure that you will like your choice. Just remember, it you do splurge and get an amazing piece - opals are sensitive to changes in temperature and humidity. eg., if you are wearing it inside a warm house and then walk outside where it is snowing, your opal could crack instantly. Also, if you are not going to wear it for a while, store it in a plastic bag with some moist cotton wool. This will keep it moist.

Here is the link....

http://www.opalsdownunder.com.au/ - go to the "Learn" tab on the top and read away! Plus - this site will show you what you can get for your money.

Mark.

I could just buy a pair of opal earrings here, but then it wouldn't be a souvenir of our trip. I love to have a piece of jewelry as a remembrance from special trips, such as this once-in-a-lifetime cruise.

Thanks for the links. I'm doing my homework before we go!

TenerifeSharon, How was your cruise on the Mercury? We were originally booked on that sailing before we switched to the longer (31 days) on Princess.

TenerifeSharon, How was your cruise on the Mercury? We were originally booked on that sailing before we switched to the longer (31 days) on Princess.

Hi Linda,

We had a wonderful time on Mercury -- actually liked it better than Millennium & Infinity. It seemed a bit more intimate, lots of wood. (Our cabin steward called it a "sober" ship, not so much glitz!) Our CC roll-call group was fantastic - over 110 registered for the get together and we had super ports and excellent weather (rained a bit in the Sounds, but we did get to all 3 of them - unlike some of the previous cruises.)

We had been looking at your Princess cruise from AUS to California, but didn't want an inside, the OVs looked pretty small and there was no affordable balcony cabin. We were considering both the Sun Princess and the Sapphire - then the Sun cruise was cancelled as the ship is staying in Australia with P&O. We're finally going to try Princess in September with 32 days from Whittier, Alaska to Bangkok.

Have a great cruise and a wonderful time in OZ, especially buying opals:D.

I could just buy a pair of opal earrings here, but then it wouldn't be a souvenir of our trip. I love to have a piece of jewelry as a remembrance from special trips, such as this once-in-a-lifetime cruise.

My thoughts exactly.

Marilee

You're welcome!

Funny story for you all on topic....

I had to go for a business trip this past week and decided to stay at a Bed and breakfast instead of the lousy motels I usually stay in... the owners were dealers of opals!

The owner had a mate over who was a miner from Lightening Ridge (the main place where Black opals are mined in Nth NSW) and so I invited myself (and family) over to have a day of mining at his 'dig.' I think we will go over in June - long weekend.

I thought it was funny as we were talking about it here!

I will let you know what I find!

Mark.

You're welcome!

Funny story for you all on topic....

I had to go for a business trip this past week and decided to stay at a Bed and breakfast instead of the lousy motels I usually stay in... the owners were dealers of opals!

The owner had a mate over who was a miner from Lightening Ridge (the main place where Black opals are mined in Nth NSW) and so I invited myself (and family) over to have a day of mining at his 'dig.' I think we will go over in June - long weekend.

I thought it was funny as we were talking about it here!

I will let you know what I find!

Mark.

How cool. Please do let us know what you fine.

Marilee

• 11 months later...
Hi Linda,

To answer your question I will need to know your budget! There are opals and there are opals. You need to research it well as if you want a black gem quality opal you will need to have at least AU$5000 to get something special. If you want a while crystal opal, it will be much cheaper.

Here is a link to a previous discussion.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=462228

Let me know your budget, if you want to put it in a ring, pendant or earrings (this will be dependent on whether you want a pair of similar shape and quality, or a single stone).

I suggest you buy an opal loose, that way you can determine that it is not a doublet or a triplet, and you can see exactly what you are getting.

Syd has many fine jewellery stores, and as the saying goes, "You get what you pay for." However, know this, there is no such thing as a "bargain" if you are wanting quality.

For starters, try these stores - look them up online and make an appointment to see the jeweller when you arrive in town. DW and I have made a purchase from PM's and they are excellent. We have only dreamed of buying from F&R.

Percy Marks (The Rocks and Market Place)

Fairfax and Roberts (Market Place)

M.

I too, am looking for an opal. I started out wanting a pure opal but from what I'm reading, they run into thousands of dollars. I want a boulder opal bracelet but only with 1 large opal (I don't know sizes) I see very few of what I want. Do you know of a store to check out in Sydney?

thanks,

jewel queen

I too, am looking for an opal. I started out wanting a pure opal but from what I'm reading, they run into thousands of dollars. I want a boulder opal bracelet but only with 1 large opal (I don't know sizes) I see very few of what I want. Do you know of a store to check out in Sydney?

thanks,

jewel queen

P.S. I don't want to spend more than $500.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we are back and had a wonderful time. I bought myself a bolder opal necklace and black opal earnings. I also bought some of the triplets for gifts to bring home. The triplets were also very pretty and a fraction of the cost.

Well, we are back and had a wonderful time. I bought myself a bolder opal necklace and black opal earnings. I also bought some of the triplets for gifts to bring home. The triplets were also very pretty and a fraction of the cost.

In which shop did you end up making your purchases?

We landed in Sydney on Sunday morning. After dropping our luggage off at our hotel, we walked to the Rocks Market to check it out. There is a booth with various gems and minerals for sale including opal jewelry. They had the typical touristy doublet and triplet opal necklaces and earrings, but also had a selection of boulder opal sliders for $49AUS. I wish I could have purchased all of them, but bought the one that I thought had the most "fire" under the lights. Put it on a silver chain when I got home and it looks great. Love it!!

Archived