Norwegian Gem - 2/16/08 thru 2/23/08 - Wow!

Maryfrei

Hello again Mary...

I have a couple more questions for you...was the Asian restaurant (Orchard) open for lunch at all??? Also, do you recall the time of the show in the main showroom on the first night??? Thanks again for all your responses.

Hi Coffeebean, I'm sorry I'm a bit slow on this review, I can't seem to crack myself out of vacation mode!:o

I think the Asian was open for lunch. The main show I believe was 9:30. We missed it because we did the happy hour special at Le Bistro at 9 the first night. The show was a combination teaser for the Gem performers, followed by the comedy of Ross Bennett. He did a short bit the last night and was very funny so I was sorry I missed him the first night. When I get home this evening I will double check the info in the dailies, and I will work on the scanning!:)

Hello Mary...

Thanks so much for you quick responses. Is is March 29th yet???

LOL, I know what you mean. I was just telling DH though that I am beginning to appreciate the fine art of anticipation. Enjoying the wait time enhances my trip and my memories. Now my trip is over, and I feel like I better get busy reserving another one, because 'wait time' is better than 'wondering when' time.:p

Hello Mary...

Thanks so much for you quick responses. Is is March 29th yet???

We will also be going on the 29th and can't wait. We are coming from Long Island and wondering what is the best transportation to use instead of leaving our car there? Any ideas???? Also does anyone know how long it will be cold after leaving the port in NY this time of year?? Can't wait to feel that sun on my face!!!

We will also be going on the 29th and can't wait. We are coming from Long Island and wondering what is the best transportation to use instead of leaving our car there? Any ideas???? Also does anyone know how long it will be cold after leaving the port in NY this time of year?? Can't wait to feel that sun on my face!!!

I've left out of NY the last two Aprils (4/12/06 and 4/16/07) In 06 people were in the hot tubs the day we left NY and in 07 it snowed:eek: . But both years we were in the swimming pool the afternoon of the first sea day:)

Even on this February trip, they were swimming the first sea day!:eek:

I've left out of NY the last two Aprils (4/12/06 and 4/16/07) In 06 people were in the hot tubs the day we left NY and in 07 it snowed:eek: . But both years we were in the swimming pool the afternoon of the first sea day:)

Thank you sooo much!!!! I can't wait, this will be my first kidless vacation since I had kids (20 years) I feel like a little kid waiting for Santa!!

Hi RonnieJamie...

You can hire a car/limo service directly to the pier. Another suggestion is to take the LIRR to Penn Station and a cab from there to the pier.

My sister and BIL are traveling from Long Island and are going to meet DH and me at the pier. They are using a limo service from the Babylon area. She and BIL are paying $90.00 round trip per person.

Looking Around

We spent the first afternoon just walking around and trying to take everything in. I found myself saying “Oh Wow” over and over again. Of course everything is shiny new. The Crystal Atrium definitely has a different feel to it. It almost feels a bit cluttered, with the Java Café, Internet center, Lots of seating for the big screen and the Grand piano, shops and the usual desks/offices around the perimeter. I will say that the Atrium on this ship gets a lot of use!

The buffet is completely different from any I have seen before and a huge improvement. Everything is organized into stations so there is no line waiting behind people who are getting things you don’t even want. You can just bounce around to the things you need. It takes a bit of getting used to. In fact, Prem the Hotel Director said that they have to spend a lot of time there the first day trying to keep people from forming lines! There is a secondary buffet, the Great Outdoors, on the stern with a decent mini selection and outdoor seating. The Great Outdoors also has extended hours. The seating is also different in the buffet. There are several booths, and the seating is separated in such a way that you don’t see the buffet from the seats or the seats from the buffet.

There are coffee/cappuccino/latte machines in the Garden Café and the Great Outdoors, softserve ice cream in both places as well. The Garden Café also scoops out hard ice cream and sherbet.

The seating in the Spinnaker is also different. There are rows of Love Seats surrounding the dance floor, and around the perimeter the most unusual array of seating options you have ever seen. Be prepared to be prone if you sit in most of the chairs and “beds”around there!

Another thing I haven’t seen before is an order form for fruit in our cabin. You just check off if you like apples, oranges, pears and/or bananas and they deliver a fresh fruit bowl to your cabin.

Be patient, I’m working on the dailies!:o

Meet and Greet

Sunday at 10:30 in Le Bistro was our Cruise Critic Meet and Greet. The Group Services Coordinator, Cristina Petean, had everything set up and waiting for us. It was a real pleasure to meet the people I had been chatting and planning with in the months leading up to the cruise. We had a good number of attendees, and my only regret is that there were some people on the other side of the room that I never got to meet. I’m going to try to list the Officers that attended, and if I miss any maybe someone else who was there can correct me.

Captain Frank Juliussen

Hotel Director Prem Kainikkara

Food & Beverage Director Mirsad Bucuk

Asst. F&B Director Julian Brackenbury

Cruise Director Julie Valeriote

Front Office Manager Irina Ionita

If you have any doubt about whether or not these officers care about your satisfaction, attend your Meet and Greet and hear what they have to say. Both the Captain and HD took pains to emphasize that they want to hear about any concerns immediately so that we all go home happy. Prem seems to have the ability to make everyone feel like a VIP. He will make sure you have everyone’s phone number, and most evenings he will probably stop by and chat while you are having dinner. I have always been impressed with the Staff and Crew, but never more so than on this voyage!

If you are a lurker I can’t encourage you enough to attend your Meet and Greet. There is no downside and you will be glad you took the time to meet all of these wonderful people!:)

Hi RonnieJamie...

You can hire a car/limo service directly to the pier. Another suggestion is to take the LIRR to Penn Station and a cab from there to the pier.

My sister and BIL are traveling from Long Island and are going to meet DH and me at the pier. They are using a limo service from the Babylon area. She and BIL are paying $90.00 round trip per person.

Thats great to know, we are also coming from the Babylon area, who knew we would have neighbors on the ship...:)

Hi Mary

My Uncle is getting married on the Norwegian Gem and is in room 15000. I was wondering if you had any pictures (of the cabin and ship) that I could show him. It's hard to find any pictures or information on that cabin. I know he would appreciate it.

Jersey Cruiser 5

We were on the Gem on its 2/6/08 sailing and we were invited by a very nice couple to tour their lovely cabin. Try this site: http://www.depping-design.de/test/thumbnails.php?album=73

Hi Mary

My Uncle is getting married on the Norwegian Gem and is in room 15000. I was wondering if you had any pictures (of the cabin and ship) that I could show him. It's hard to find any pictures or information on that cabin. I know he would appreciate it.

Jersey Cruiser 5

No, sadly I never saw 15000.:(

I've read many of the posts about the Gem and, based on the mixed reviews, I'm really confused about what to expect. Even the glowing critiques confirm some "unvacation"-like issues that have me worried.

1. Getting up at 7AM to stand in line to make dinner reservations that I may or may not be able to make does not sound like my idea of a vacation. If I don't want to go to the hassle of the reservation process, do I go hungry, have to eat at a buffet/feeding trough, or what are the alternatives? What is on the room service menu? Pizza and hamburgers?

2. Many have commented that the food is good. Many have also noted that there's not a lobster tail or a filet mignon to be had on the GEM, although for the $30 surcharge at Cagney's, you can get a good steak. If I don't go to Cagney's or LeBistro, or the other restaurants that charge additional, (that I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to make reservations for) what CAN I expect? Tilapia, chicken tenders and popcorn shrimp? I was sort of hoping for something special, although I understand this is not a Cunard vessel.

3. What about lunch? Are any of the specialty restaurants open at lunch? If so, how much is the surcharge? Is it easier to get reservations at lunch?

4. I read on one forum that if there's something you want (say a shrimp cocktail)(within reason), and it's not on the menu, ask and ye shall receive. I'm not sure if that tip was specific to a particular cruise line, or is a general rule of thumb for all of them. Can anyone tell me if the Gem's culinary staff is that flexible?

5. What's the deal with the beach towels? Do I bring my own, or use NCL's? It sounds like if you use their's, and you put it down, and someone takes it, they'll charge you $25 (for a $5 beach towel). It seems that it would be easy to take someone else's towel if they all look just alike. Do most people take their own towels? Is there no end to the ways NCL has to gouge it's guests?

6. While I had been looking forward to the cruise, waiting an interminable length of time for a tender to take me to a little over-crowded island with not nearly enough lounge chairs sounds something less than a good time. Can someone tell me anything about the day on the NCL island that will reassure me? Should I just plan to stay on the boat and go to the hot tub and skip the island thing if no one enjoys it?

7. What is this CC Meet and Greet? How does one find out about this?

8. I read something about a disco/bar or something that was risque-themed that had partitioned beds in it. What in the world??? I'm bringing my 17 year old daughter on the cruise. Will she and her friend be allowed in there? What's the name of the place? Idiot me didn't realize that colleges are on spring break and the ship will be full of college kids. I'm not sure how I can insure a more "wholesome" vacation short of locking her in the cabin.

9. If I bring my own wine, I understand that I'll pay an uncorking fee. When is this paid/charged? At the time of embarkation, or at dinner?

I apologize for being so long-winded. I'm hoping someone can reassure me...

8. I read something about a disco/bar or something that was risque-themed that had partitioned beds in it. What in the world??? I'm bringing my 17 year old daughter on the cruise. Will she and her friend be allowed in there? What's the name of the place? Idiot me didn't realize that colleges are on spring break and the ship will be full of college kids. I'm not sure how I can insure a more "wholesome" vacation short of locking her in the cabin.

You're talking about Bliss Ultra Lounge. This is a bar/lounge that does have large beds. I sailed last week, and each time I was in Bliss people were sitting on the beds and talking, never laying. Plus, you must be 21 to be in Bliss after 9pm, and they are serious about this. Multiple times I saw teens who were obvioulsy too young asked to leave. But even if they didn't, they wouldn't see anything in Bliss that they couldn't see on shows like The O.C. or Gossip Girl. Bliss is also where the bowling alleys are, so there are many children and teens there all day. I'm sure your daughter and her friend will have fun bowling. She and her friend will also like the Spinaker Lounge. There are some funny game shows, improv shows, kareoke nights, and talent shows there. There is also pool, shuffleboard, and darts in Spinaker.

As for your other concerns, you might want to read my comment here. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=723286

Mine is the last comment on the first page.

Hope this helps

I've read many of the posts about the Gem and, based on the mixed reviews, I'm really confused about what to expect. Even the glowing critiques confirm some "unvacation"-like issues that have me worried.

1. Getting up at 7AM to stand in line to make dinner reservations that I may or may not be able to make does not sound like my idea of a vacation. If I don't want to go to the hassle of the reservation process, do I go hungry, have to eat at a buffet/feeding trough, or what are the alternatives? What is on the room service menu? Pizza and hamburgers?

2. Many have commented that the food is good. Many have also noted that there's not a lobster tail or a filet mignon to be had on the GEM, although for the $30 surcharge at Cagney's, you can get a good steak. If I don't go to Cagney's or LeBistro, or the other restaurants that charge additional, (that I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to make reservations for) what CAN I expect? Tilapia, chicken tenders and popcorn shrimp? I was sort of hoping for something special, although I understand this is not a Cunard vessel.

3. What about lunch? Are any of the specialty restaurants open at lunch? If so, how much is the surcharge? Is it easier to get reservations at lunch?

4. I read on one forum that if there's something you want (say a shrimp cocktail)(within reason), and it's not on the menu, ask and ye shall receive. I'm not sure if that tip was specific to a particular cruise line, or is a general rule of thumb for all of them. Can anyone tell me if the Gem's culinary staff is that flexible?

5. What's the deal with the beach towels? Do I bring my own, or use NCL's? It sounds like if you use their's, and you put it down, and someone takes it, they'll charge you $25 (for a $5 beach towel). It seems that it would be easy to take someone else's towel if they all look just alike. Do most people take their own towels? Is there no end to the ways NCL has to gouge it's guests?

6. While I had been looking forward to the cruise, waiting an interminable length of time for a tender to take me to a little over-crowded island with not nearly enough lounge chairs sounds something less than a good time. Can someone tell me anything about the day on the NCL island that will reassure me? Should I just plan to stay on the boat and go to the hot tub and skip the island thing if no one enjoys it?

7. What is this CC Meet and Greet? How does one find out about this?

9. If I bring my own wine, I understand that I'll pay an uncorking fee. When is this paid/charged? At the time of embarkation, or at dinner?

I apologize for being so long-winded. I'm hoping someone can reassure me...

I'll try to answer your questions. First of all relax the Gem is a beautiful ship with a good crew who will try to make your vacation memorable.

1. On most nights you can get into some of the reservation restaurants without a reservation. Also the Gem has two places during the evening that you can make reservations for the following night at all the reservation restaurants...that is in bar central and in front of Magenta. Also their are two sit down restaurants that you need no reservation for(Magenta and Grand Pacific) at Magenta go into the restuarant when you want to and most of the time it will be no or a short wait(the high water mark is between 7 and 8). The only restaurant that is really difficult is Cucina the free italian one. Besides the buffet, there are grills and the Blue Lagoon where you can different things with little or no wait and yes there is always room service that has more than pizza and hamburgers..Orchid the Asian fusion one is rarely full and is very good for the $10 extra- on some cruises I ate all my meals in the none paid extra restaurants and had no problem doing so,. and if you feel you have to do it at 7 am call 050.

2. There will be steak many times in the main restaurants. They have beef Wellington on the menu often. They will generally have one or two meat dishes, a fish dish, a vegetarian and something else. If you like an appetizer and think its small order two or three or even four. They generally will have a seafood medley in the main restuarant one night that includes lobster tails---again you can always ask for more just lobster tails.

3. Lunch will be in the Grand pacific the great outdoors the buffet and possible a BBQ and the Blue Lagoon...no problem finding food. The specialities are not normally open but on sea days the Sushi will be.

4. You can always ask. I am not sure if you will get. But they tend when they have shrimp cocktail to only add two shrimp so ask for a double.

5. Beach towels are handled like some of the other cruise lines now and resorts in general. They aren't looking for the money but they were losing 1/3 of towels every trip. They aren't any more. Yes you have to keep track of your towel. Thank all of those who took them home.

6. I have been on GSC three times. I have had no problem with finding a couple of chairs they have added much more. I actually like the private island itsa great beach day. I have never found the tenders too bad. I tend to go late and stay until they are leaving its really beautiful when its empty.

7. The m and G is normally listed in your roll call for you ship---go to roll calls for norwegian look for the Gem and then your sailing...they should have info on it. NCL is not an official Cruise critic meet and greet but if you find my review you will see that ALL the senior officers attended.

8.The beds are normally roped off until 11 pm its over 21 only at that time.

9.ts supposed to be charged at embarkation....

Archived