Anyone Sick from 9/10 VOS Sailing?

piginmud

Hi All,

This is the first time I've been able to stay upright for more than 5 minutes since debarking the ship on Sunday (9/19).

The doctor thinks it's a virus. I've had a 103 fever, chills, sweats, backache - horrible backache, headache - worst headache ever, coughing, sore throat. About the only thing I haven't felt is a bad stomachache (and no diahhrea). I can stand up for more than a few minutes w/o getting dizzy.

It's Weds 9/22 and I haven't been in work all week and don't see how I'm going to make it in tomorrow as well.

Hoping it's just a random thing and that not everyone from the ship is sick...

debbie

piginmud@yahoo.com

There was a 19 year old girl with your same symptoms on the 8/27 VOS sailing (met her in the library a few times- on the internet) and a waiter from a few tables over was sick (don't know with what ailment). Some staff members had sore throats (3 or 4), but on a ship with 3500+ people, someone's bound to be ill. Did not hear of widespread illness on our cruise. Sorry to hear of your illness. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hi debbie, I was on the ship of course because we spoken on the roll call, dont think you were on the meet and mingle meeting on the High Notes. I only got queasy the last day towards home. I had second seating at the Magic Flute and didnt get sick or anything on the food. Do you think maybe it was attributed to the motion sickness ?

debscruise

debbie, aka piginmud: (BTW, great "handle" or whatever it's called online.) I'm not a doctor, so take this with a "grain of salt," but when you say "horrible backache" and "worst headache ever" with that kind of fever, I think it is probably more than a simple virus. Has your doctor done tests to rule out meningitis, etc.? Yes, that may sound alarmist, but those kinds of illnesses can be extremely serious if not caught in time.

I hope you start feeling better soon--what a way to come back from a trip. Oh, if you are still running a fever, you should not go back to work. At least, not unless you want to infect everyone there--they will not thank you for it.

Get well soon so you can plan your next cruise!

beachchick

I had similar symptoms last week and my son two weeks earlier. We're here in Maine and haven't cruised yet. I had never been so sick in my life and my doctor said that there is a nasty by going round. Getting my flu shot as soon as I can this year.

Hi debbie, I was on the ship of course because we spoken on the roll call, dont think you were on the meet and mingle meeting on the High Notes. I only got queasy the last day towards home. I had second seating at the Magic Flute and didnt get sick or anything on the food. Do you think maybe it was attributed to the motion sickness ?

debscruise

With all due respect, motion sickness does not cause fevers.

I've had pneumonia also and it can be quite painful as well as rather frightening. Hope the OP recovers soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Poor Debbie - get well soon. I am 45 and went on exchange to Singapore for six months. It was the start of the uni year and people came from all over the world. Within six weeks I was in hospital with pneumonia and i had never had anything like that before. I have a theory that in environments with lots of people from all over we are more likely to encounter a virus that we haven't met before and being run down from travel we just get sicker than we normally would. Now I always take out travel insurance and even wear a face mask on long haul flights (call me paranoid, I don't care, I nearly died and my husband had to spend even more money to come and bring me home to rest). We are going on a cruise in USA (we're Aussies) in December and I have already had a Western Hemisphere flu injection and will be very careful about handwashing etc. Once bitten like that you are forever careful. Thinking of you Debbie, from one who's been there and done that and wishes she hadn't.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to Marcie for keeping everyone updated. Yes, I wound up with pneumonia and was in the hospital for 8 days. I've been home for about a week now and still feel like "you know what". It's the worst sickness I have ever had in my entire life.

Seems like it was just a bug that I picked up somewhere somehow and just like someone said (sorry I'm too tired to look who said it!), I was probably run down from burning the candle at both ends from vacation and my body just couldn't fight it.

I've been out of work for 3 weeks now and I'll probably be out another week. Thanks to everyone for your well wishes, I really appreciate it! It's been a little bit easier to stay upright these days, so I'm hanging in there! Dying to write my trip report, but all in good time!

debbie

Archived