Military Cruisers: Discounts, etc.

ColoradoLad

Hi!

I have cruised with my Lady and usually a group of military and retired.

Never on Celebrity so am about to face the travel folks for the Army and Air Force "IRT" or whatever offices.

I was told Celebrity did the discounts, and of course we usually get a good air fare.

Question: on RCI I ran into no discounts for the better cabins but I can understand that. As I am wanting to book a few deployed wives, etc, that is no problem.

My cruise is running into the time when my old unit is being redeployed: the soldiers (men and women go back to Iraq), so I am sponsoring a couple

of the wives.

Anyone who has done this well help is what I posted for!

Thanks Joe! "Doc"

Whatever you do, DON'T use USAA cruise travel, if you're a USAA member.

They switched travel service providers in June, and we have had nothing but problems with our bookings since then. Luckily, Celebrity is on the ball, and has kept our booking straight through them trying to change it BACK to a time when we can't go (we re-booked), and while they paid themselves on time, I had to call them TWICE to remind them to pay Celebrity, so Celebrity ended up being paid 2 weeks late, but kindly held our reservation through all of it.

No idea what other rate plans are out there, but just a warning on that front, since they certainly aren't up to the high standards of most USAA alliance services.

There should (I hope) be something in place for active duty and their families, but I am not aware of anything special available to those of us that are retired military. Guess they figure that we can afford to pay the going rate and I suspect that they are right:D. Personally have found that the best way is to find a good "cruise-only" TA and stick with him. We do most of our own research and have never encountered any serious problems, but its nice to know that if we needed help its only a phone call away.

Jim Schaeffer

CPO, USN, RETIRED

I am the spouse of an active duty Air Force member and have recently booked us on our first cruise. We didn't get a discount, but were given the option of not having to pay for anything until 30 days before the cruise sails. This was through Sato Vacations. I tried contacting Celebrity directly but they didn't have any discounts to offer us.

So now we are going to beat up on X for not being Patriotic???? Give me a break. If you want a cheap cruise, you should have joined the Navy instead one of the other services! :D

Regarding USAA, I agree...I constantly receive flyers from USAA for cruise "specials". They have never come within 25% of even the highest price I can find on line!

Hi!

I have cruised with my Lady and usually a group of military and retired.

Never on Celebrity so am about to face the travel folks for the Army and Air Force "IRT" or whatever offices.

I was told Celebrity did the discounts, and of course we usually get a good air fare.

Question: on RCI I ran into no discounts for the better cabins but I can understand that. As I am wanting to book a few deployed wives, etc, that is no problem.

My cruise is running into the time when my old unit is being redeployed: the soldiers (men and women go back to Iraq), so I am sponsoring a couple

of the wives.

Anyone who has done this well help is what I posted for!

Thanks Joe! "Doc"

Joe,

If you drop me an email, I will give you the site of an outfit that will find military rates on RCI and Celebrity for both AD and retirees. Used them last year and got a great rate.

usnretdocb@yahoo.com

In defense of USAA, I used them to book my Zenith '05 cruise and the service I have received so far has been top notch. I have been working with the same agent for everything and this really helps. Since Celebrity has cut out all competition, the price I paid was the same exact price quoted on all the other discount sites I checked and more than $100 less pp than quoted on the Celebrity website. We were even given a $50 shipboard credit! Sorry to hear some of you have had bad experiences with them:(

Dave and I just got back from the Transatlantic Cruise this week. During one of the arly days at sea, there was a get together for active and retired military folks. About 15 of us (both hubby and I are retired military) showed up. It was fun to exchange stories. But there was no comment from the Celebrity rep related to discount packages for military, in fact a token drink was not offered--though suggested by one of the attendees.

Dave and Elaine

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Thanks Chief!

The place you suggested seems to have some good deals.

But the issue Elaine noted.

Yes, it is stupid that all the cruise lines via USA access seem to think folks from the UK or Canada are as "aliens".

Joke is military discounts are rare, difficult. Got to serve with many allies: Brits, that includes blokes from Wales, N. Ireland and Scotland, Australia, New Zealand and Korea. Also a few "Gurka's" I met in Hong Kong in 1969.

Bless em All!

Guess I'll have to decrease the spirits I ingest as to pay for the undiscounted cruises?

Whatever: thanks!

Not to the Cruise Lines but alll who have to serve and maintain World Peace:

and that means in some African dunghole or in Iraq or Afgan: We do not judge

a soldier because of his countries policy.

The "Doc"

Having been a USAA member for more than 30 years I have received an influx of materials for me to try USAA cruise service. I have checked a number of different cruies but they were always ....way....of of line with their prices. Never did compare USAA group cruises and i hope they were bettter priced but as an individual their are better alternatives. As previously stated, USAA insurance products are the best.....but their cruise products equal their financial mutual funds.......bad news!!!

Archived