Change boats for 4 hours in Ketchikan?

Lucy 'n Lenny

Hi Everybody,

I'm experiencing some first-timer freak-outs and maybe you can help. We've booked the Golden Princess out of Seattle on May 10th (Aloha balcony).

Recently, I noticed that the Star Princess, that leaves a day later, has 4 extra hours in Ketchikan. It also allows a couple extra hours in Victoria (which I've visited many times) but sails Tracy Arm early (6 to 10am).

Would you bother changing boats if the fares were the same? From what I understand, the Golden and the Star are similar ships.

Thanks and many happy trips to you!

L & L

Hi Everybody' date='

I'm experiencing some first-timer freak-outs and maybe you can help. We've booked the Golden Princess out of Seattle on May 10th (Aloha balcony).

Recently, I noticed that the Star Princess, that leaves a day later, has 4 extra hours in Ketchikan. It also allows a couple extra hours in Victoria (which I've visited many times) but sails Tracy Arm early (6 to 10am).

Would you bother changing boats if the fares were the same? From what I understand, the Golden and the Star are similar ships.

Thanks and many happy trips to you!

L & L[/quote']

We did the Tracy Arm 2 years ago and it was beautiful. I wouldn't want to miss it.

You need to compare the two itineraries side-by-side. There are more differences than you've mentioned. The order of ports is different, and the Star goes first to Tracy Arm and then to Juneau on the same day. It spends more time in Ketchikan, but less time in Skagway and Juneau than the Golden - which is where I'd rather have more time in port. The Golden also allows 1 more hour in Tracy Arm. If it were me, I'd stick with the Golden.

Frankly, you are NOT going to get very far into Tracy Arm going early May. IF glaciers are of interest, you need to book some type of tour, it is extremely unlikely you will get within glacier viewing in Tracy Arm.

I would make your choice based on the priority of port activites you wish.

Ketchikan is an excellent port, loaded with plenty to see and do. It's not posted, but plenty can be done in Skagway with most port times, even if they leave at 4pm, still a full day. What are your plans???

Hi Budget Queen,

We chose our cruise based on what would work best for our family. We love scenery, so Tracy Arm will interest us regardless of whether or not we see a Glacier.

We have two school -aged girls, so chose Princess for the children's programs and so we wouldn't have to fly anywhere.

I like the idea of the train/motorcoach tour in Skagway but the girls won't last for 6+ hours on a tour. We may just do the train. I was also looking at the wildlife preserve in Haines.

For Juneau, we're planning on a whale watch and a trip to the Glacier. For Ketchikan, we want to bus it to one of the Totem Parks and spend some time exploring on our own. A few extra hours would be great but we are also early risers, so we'll maximize our time here.

The Star is almost sold out in our category, so it looks like we'll stay put.

Thanks everyone!

L & L

Archived