Mediterranean 12 Day- With kids- HELP!

WineDown17

Looking to book a 12 day med next May with DH, my inlaws, and my 2 sons who will be 12 and 2 at the time of the sailing.

I would appreciate feedback from folks who may have done this or a similar sailing on X or RCCL. DH and I prefer Celebrity and plan to book a celebrity suite.. What kinds of experience can families expect to experience?

We gave RCCL a glance due to the kids, but the itineraries and accomodations did not meet our needs...

Based on past X experience on longer cruises during the chool year, I fear we may have the only kids on board... but we are Ok with that as the experience will outweigh if we are in the minority or not.. Please provide any ideas, advice etc you may have!

Which ship are you looking at? When ?

Personally, I wouldn't take a 12 and 2 yr old on a 12 day cruise when there aren't other children on board. The experience would be wonderful for the 12 year old, probably with even more fun if there were other children from other states and countries to become acquanted with. The 2 year old....well. It's good you will have some in laws along to help out there. I wouldn't think of taking my 2 yr old granddaughter on a ship for 12 days. The hours and schedule with so many ports, would just be too overwhelming for her peace....and mine!

Your comments , make it sound like you are more interested in YOUR needs rather than your kids. But...you know what makes your kids happy and content. Good luck.

We've booked a Med cruise on the Summit this June. Our kids are 7 and 11. This type of cruise is mostly about the ports, not the ship itself. I wouldn't worry about how many other kids there are onboard, because presumably you'll be off the ship together as a family on most days.

When you are on the ship, your 2 year old will be too young for the Fun Factory, but there is the option of private in-cabin babysitting.

You may want to try posting your question on the Family Cruising board. You may get a friendlier, less judgmental response.;)

Best wishes for a fantastic cruise!

--Junglejane

Yeah- The judgement was just a bit rude... Amazing we live in a world where someone would negatively judge a parent for trying to bring her children on a vacation if a lifetime and expose them to culture rather than dump them with a babysitter or nanny.. But I guess we open ourselves up to attacks on these boards nowadays. sad.

I appreciate the tip about the family board. Did not know it was out there.

jane- It hit post too soon. I was too upset about the previous post still.. go figure! I cant wait to hear about your experience.. I hope you will share. And I agree- It is all about the time as a family, which we are really looking forward to. Your kids are great ages to go.. I think it will be a great time.. and I cant wait to hear all about it!

Winedown-

We will be on the Summit May 11th,Barcelona to Venice.We are taking our 4yr old boy, our 8 yr old boy and our going to be 11 yr daughter.I am on the Summit roll call and there is another family with a 12 yr old daughter and 4 other children if I am not mistaken as well as another family with 2 small boys.These are only the kids cited on the roll call- I know there will be others!Come and join us -it will be great.Our kids would love more company!Don´t worry about negative comments from others.It will be a wonderful experience for your whole family.Kim

Thanks. I am glad to hear there are others!! Makes me wish we were going THIS year!! hahah. Although I almost booked that same sailing by accident thinking it was in 09!! But if there are families on it this year, there will be again next year.

I can not wait to hear all about your experience. What a great thing to do as a family!!

My MIL watches my sons, and this is a way to thank her for she does for us.. a trip of a lifetime. We are very excited.

Thank you for your encouraging words!!! And have a great time.. dont forget me when you come back.. I will want DETAILS!! :D

Oh too bad I didn´t notice you were going til 2009.We will give you the scoop when we get back.

Dave-negative,negative.I been traveling internationally with my 3 kids since they were born on 12 hour flights-I live in Brazil and my family lives in the states.My children are by no means perfect but they never cried on the flights and are very good travelers.A lot better than some obnoxious grown men who drink too much on the plane or rude passengers who play there music too loud while others are sleeping.I don´t know if you have kids or grandkids or anything but I am sure you´d not appreciate it if they were trated with such prejudice.Have a nice day....

Nicely said Brazil!!

As for anyone else who wants to be a naysayer.. I am not asking your permission to take my children on vacation. We ARE going. I will manage my expectations and theirs appropriately. I will also manage their behavior as needed. In fact, that is why I am asking for feedback from those who have done it, so that I may make the most of this amazing experience. As a responsible adult, I will make sure that we do not enjoy this cruise at the expense of detracting from anyone elses experience. The 2 are not mutually exclusive.

Also my baby would not "enjoy" being left for 2 weeks without his parents, siblings and other people he sees every day, MORE than he would "enjoy" a cruise.. Although clearly YOU may enjoy that I leave him home..

I am encouraged by all of the other families out there who arent afraid to live and experience life as families, and look forward to making your acquaintances in my travels!

WineDown17,

I've run into the crusty old curmudgeons that think children should go to Disney World and noplace else. I think some people are uneasy around children while on a cruise. Too bad. I don't believe I read in the brochure that this was someones personal yacht.

Yes, I know there are brats and that annoy's me too. However, I've run into more rude adults (whose manners and behavior should be well established) than kids on a cruise.

As a child I developed a sense of wanderlust. My parents traveled with me and as I got older traveled more. (Owned a travel agency some years ago.)

Travel is one of life's great teachers. My eight year old son is well mannered and well traveled for his age (he will be on his 5th cruise) and has a more culturally diverse mentality than most of his peers. I have every intention of showing him all the world of travel has to offer.

You're so right, You're not asking permission just looking for some advice.

Enjoy your time with your children.

We are also planning Med cruise in 2009.

First of all- let me say that Europe is becoming a very hot destination for people with children and although I wouldn't expect many kids in May- there will be some (perhaps 30, like on my Transatlantic 14 night cruise in May of 2005). Of the 30, most will be pre-school age.

As for your family and a 12 night trip to the Med. I think it will be alot of fun and just so the 12 year old isn't disappointed- I would build up the fact that they are going to be seeing so many fascinating places and not that there will be other kids onboard. The Summit is a lovely ship and there is plenty for the family to do. My son didn't even go to the youth programs (ever). He started cruising at age 8 and had no interest in the youth program. He had a wonderful time on our cruises- mostly swimming, wandering around the ship- talking to the crew, etc. So your 12 year old will have fun. Don't worry.

As for the 2 year old- only Carnival, Disney and Norwegian provide daytime daycare for kids 2 and under. Celebrity does off in-cabin babysitting at night and from what I have read on the boards- they often are willing to babysit at night in the Fun Factory if there aren't many kids onboard. So this is a definite maybe.

I just did the 12 night Med. cruise on Celebrity Millenium (July24-August5th) and it was very hot. So May is going to be ideal. This will be the trip of a lifetime for you and after a day of sightseeing- the kids are probably going to be content to hang out in the cabin and watch movies. You'll be fine.

Have a wonderful adventure!:)

Not to change the complete subject but I have been reading the threads on the HAL boards about the World Cruise and on the current world cruise there are 2 preschoolers. They seem to be the only children on board. I can't imagine taking a preschooler but Yay for their parents. What a wonderful thing to have so much time with the family. You'll have a great time too.

We were on Brilliance on RCL last fall on the 12 day Venice cruise and if it helps you to feel good about Celebrity, there were very few children on that ship, either. I would guess there were about 60 kids on the ship of 2600 at the very most. I think that outside of the summer, there will be fewer children on what is admittedly a pricy cruise that might be out of reach for some families. That said, they still do run the kids programs and I'm sure there will be at least a few kids for your children to hang out with. Celebrity tends to attract a slightly older crowd than RCL but the crowd on cruises is slightly older overall in Europe anyway, so it may not be that different.

As others have said, I would play up the ports more than the shipboard experience. Also, there are some very kid-friendly things to do in ports. Barcelona has a very magical amusement park on the mountain, Venice has gondola rides, and kids would likely enjoy being up on the wall of Dubrovnik, etc. I think that as a parent, you'll just have to be a little more aware of museum fatigue. My partner has to watch for that with me, and I'm 41!

No gondola ride with the two year old! Very unstable getting on and off and he will HAVE to sit for 30 minutes. Pricey too! Skip it- believe me I did do it with a two year old and he was completely bored.

I'd do the vaporetto and let the kids sit out back. Try to get those seats. My kids loved them for some reason- open air I guess.

No gondola ride with the two year old! Very unstable getting on and off and he will HAVE to sit for 30 minutes. Pricey too! Skip it- believe me I did do it with a two year old and he was completely bored.

I'd do the vaporetto and let the kids sit out back. Try to get those seats. My kids loved them for some reason- open air I guess.

good points! Can you tell I don't have children? :)

Yeah- The judgement was just a bit rude... Amazing we live in a world where someone would negatively judge a parent for trying to bring her children on a vacation if a lifetime and expose them to culture rather than dump them with a babysitter or nanny.. But I guess we open ourselves up to attacks on these boards nowadays. sad.

I appreciate the tip about the family board. Did not know it was out there.

I am sorry , WineDown, you misinterpreted my comments as "negatively judging" your decision. You read more into my post than was there.

If you reread it, you will note that I thought the trip would be a "wonderful " experience for the 12 year old. And the opportunity to meet children from other places is a positive. My 22 yr old daughter still "penpals" (emails) with a girl she met on one of our cruises when she was 8, from the state of New Mexico. And they have each visited each other at their Universities. It's been a wonderful friendship that she would never have been blessed with without going on the family cruise. So I wouldn't ever discount meeting other children on a vacation.

I mentioned the 2 year old having difficulty with schedules. I stated it was my PERSONAL opinion. Your post DID ask for ideas and advice. I have done 3 (20-24 person) family reunion cruises with children aging from 4-17 at any given time. They were all port heavy cruises and the youngest children had the most difficulty trying to keep up the pace of touring with the older children and adults. We ended up leaving the youngest behind on the ship some mornings with mom,dad or older cousin on several days, as the excitement and fun wore off as they got more tired. We had a large group of built in family babysitters. Thus the reason I mentioned to you that it was good you had the in laws along to help in that manner. The European 12 dayers are so busy, unlike a Carib cruise when you can have leisurely days at sea and "beach" days to "regroup". Just the long drives or train rides to get from port to Rome, Athens or Nice are tiring for the youngest.

My advice was based on past experiences with 3 and 4 yr olds. I notice the advice you have received concern children older than that. The family cruise site might give you more advice re the 2yr old.

As I stated, you know what keeps your kids happy and content. Again, I wish you luck. I am sorry that when asking for advice and ideas you found my comments to be unhelpful. I guess I should have detailed my experiences, rather than just offer my feelings.

I too would advise you to go on your Roll Call and perhaps plan some private tours with parents with children. I think it would make the tours more "kid friendly" for everyone. With children, I think you'd want to really plan out each day with more detail than you would if it was just you and your husband traveling.

Have a wonderful time. That particular cruise is a fun one!!!

I too conveyed my experiences on previous trips, and my post vanished.

While it may seemed a bit rough, my simple advice was to wait until the 2 year old was old enough to join the kids club so it would be easier on everyone. Not to mention the fact that many of the tours have a minimum age limit. I too think the 12 year old will have a blast, I know I would if I were in those shoes.

I think you idea of arranging some private tours is a good idea.

I have been on trips where there have been youngsters who were the best kids in the world on the ship....but get them on a bus for a 1/2 hour or on a tour where they want to do their own thing and they turn into little monsters.

When I was younger ( we lived in New England as the OP ), my parents chose vacations that were family friendly and appropriate for our ages. If they wanted an adult vacation we were left to visit relatives for the duration, which we truly enjoyed....mainly because we got to do things we couldn't at home.

The difficulty here isn't the fact that the OP wants to make this a family vacation, but the huge difference in ages between the children, and the planning it will take to keep everyone occupied and happy at the same time.

Dave:eek:

While it may seemed a bit rough, my simple advice was to wait until the 2 year old was old enough to join the kids club so it would be easier on everyone. Not to mention the fact that many of the tours have a minimum age limit. I too think the 12 year old will have a blast, I know I would if I were in those shoes.

Dave:eek:

My thoughts exactly re the 2 yr. old. Our Granddaughter, altho "well behaved" and very good natured, has her limits. And we know them. Even a day at the Pumpkin Farm, which is obviously geared to the kids with all kinds of entertainment and activities, couldn't keep her 2yr old brain and body going for more than 3 hours. I can't imagine trying to enjoy the "adult stuff" in Rome,Venice, Athens etc. and keep HER happy. Pushing a stroller along cobblestone walks and narrow roads, trying to climb the steps into the churches and ruins with a stroller.....There's just a ton of hurdles when traveling in Europe with that small of child. Just much more to plan for. I DO hope they have a fun time.

I know what the mother is agonizing over. I remember planning this family trip to Europe that included our 19 month old. I had it all planned out and then my husband, who had remained silent through all the planning, said "I really don't care if I go to Italy or not. I think you should go with Patrick and I'll stay with Marc. Maybe your sitter can help."

At first I felt selfish leaving my husband at home but it was the right decision. My older son, age 14, and I got so much more out of the trip. We didn't have a baby draped over us on the plane, we could cover so much more ground. We met up with his paternal grandfather and aunt in Rome for 5 nights- and he went to the mountain village where his great-grandparents were from. We spent two days in the Vatican and climbed up to the top. We saw the Sistene Chapel, the Colluseum, the Trevi, and the Spanish steps. Walked in up the Via Veneto to the Borghese Park, dined at "Alfredos" and several other nice restaurants. We walked all over Florence, Criss-crossed Lake Como and stayed in Bellagio, took a water taxi down the Grand Canal in Venice at sunset, as well as a gondola ride, where the cute young gondolier talked about his expectation that one of his sons would be a gondolier, etc. My son said he wanted to move to Venice and become a gondolier.

We played checkers in the lounge of our hotel listening to live Opera Singers.

We couldn't have enjoyed the trip as much with a two year old. Now my 7 year old and I travel and he has me all to himself. So it all works out in the end.

I know what the mother is agonizing over. I remember planning this family trip to Europe that included our 19 month old. I had it all planned out and then my husband, who had remained silent through all the planning, said "I really don't care if I go to Italy or not. I think you should go with Patrick and I'll stay with Marc. Maybe your sitter can help."

At first I felt selfish leaving my husband at home but it was the right decision. My older son, age 14, and I got so much more out of the trip. We didn't have a baby draped over us on the plane, we could cover so much more ground.

We couldn't have enjoyed the trip as much with a two year old. Now my 7 year old and I travel and he has me all to himself. So it all works out in the end.

How wonderful and self-sacrificing for your husband to allow you and your older son to experience that trip together! I really don't think that the OP is aware of the work and sacrificing everyone will need to make in order to bring the young 2 year old along on their wonderful cruise. So many opportunities will be missed. Congratulations to both of you on figuring out what would be best for your family.

Just another idea for you, WineDown. Perhaps each of the adults could take turns "partnering" with your older son at each port, so that he might have the opportunity to see more than you will be limited to with your young child. He is definitely old enough to appreciate the various cultures, ask questions and he will actually remember the experiences. He has the opportunity to grow and mature from this wordly "adventure". He will want to do activities that are closer to the "adult world" than the life of a toddler. I would try to make that happen as much as possible. Since he has no friend along, he'll be looking for someone to take him to the see and do the things age appropriate for HIM. If he feels this trip is exciting and fun for HIM, he will be more likely to travel with you as a family again. If he feels too much energy was spent on keeping things together for the little brother, he won't want to be bothered.

The trip is totally possible. But like I said earlier, there has to be so much planning ahead in your case. I'd make sure your 12 yr old has some say as to what he wants to see and do ahead of time,too. Let him help plan a day's activity. Developmentally, you know how important it is for boys that age to feel independent and proud of what they can accpomplish. This will be a great opportunity for him.

Eandj, your comments for the most part are very thoughtful. I'm sure that what upset the OP was this sentence from your first reply: "Your comments, make it sound like you are more interested in YOUR needs rather than your kids." That sounded pretty judgmental to me, and you can tell from the OP's response that it did to her, too.

Personally, I would not attempt this trip with a 2 year old. I'm worried that my 7 year old will be worn out by all day shore excursions on our upcoming Med cruise. We are mostly doing private tours. But the OP has an older child. I'm sure she's well aware of what a 2 year old is like. She is taking her MIL, and apparently treating her to the trip. I'm sure their expectations are pretty realistic.

I directed the OP to the Family Cruising board because that's where I think she'll get the most helpful feedback from people who actually have taken trips like this with toddlers. Again, I wouldn't do it myself but I realize other people do and seem to enjoy the experience.

Rebeccalouise, as always your comments are tremendously insightful and helpful. I always enjoy reading your posts.:)

--Junglejane

Grandparents often invite their kids and grandkids on cruises. Most of the time- the grandparents are paying for said cruises. Most young families can't afford a trip to Europe with 2 kids.

I think if the grandparents are going to help out- then the trip is going to be really successful. Most grandparents are happy to help out. In fact, many grandparents aren't really interested in doing all day excursions (at least every day).

In trying to sum things up....

1. With a family of four. Book two aisle seats and the aisle and middle seat across. TA flights have four seats in the center of the plane. No one wants the middle two. People book the aisle seats. So there will (more than likely) be one extra seat. That is what happened on my trip and my son could lay down flat.

2. Umbrella stroller

3. No babies to museums and churches

4. No babies shopping

5 Yes to babies in forts and castles

6. No babies on gondolas and long bus rides

7 Yes to babies on Trains

8. Public bathrooms in Europe are terrible. Go to the nearest 5 star hotel and use their restroom. You may all have to buy a round of drinks in their bar but it is worth it.

Have a great trip!:)

1. With a family of four. Book the window and aisle seats and the aisle and middle seat across. TA flights have four seats in the center of the plane. No one wants the middle two. People book the aisle seats. So there will (more than likely) be one extra seat. That is what happened on my trip and my son could lay down flat.

Eandj, your comments for the most part are very thoughtful. I'm sure that what upset the OP was this sentence from your first reply: "Your comments, make it sound like you are more interested in YOUR needs rather than your kids." That sounded pretty judgmental to me, and you can tell from the OP's response that it did to her, too.

Personally, I would not attempt this trip with a 2 year old. I'm worried that my 7 year old will be worn out by all day shore excursions on our upcoming Med cruise. We are mostly doing private tours. But the OP has an older child. I'm sure she's well aware of what a 2 year old is like. She is taking her MIL, and apparently treating her to the trip. I'm sure their expectations are pretty realistic.

I directed the OP to the Family Cruising board because that's where I think she'll get the most helpful feedback from people who actually have taken trips like this with toddlers. Again, I wouldn't do it myself but I realize other people do and seem to enjoy the experience.

Rebeccalouise, as always your comments are tremendously insightful and helpful. I always enjoy reading your posts.:)

--Junglejane

Hi Jane,

Yes, I agree, my post was obviously taken as judgemental. I certainly didn't want to be that. :o I apologized to her on both sites and offered some ideas to help her out. Reading your posts and RebeccaLouise's, it's obvious we are all on the same page here and hope the OP gets the feedback she needs to have an easier time. Knowing what's involved on that particular cruise, it's going to be difficult and tiring. (A week Carib itinerary would be sooo much easier in all ways at this point.)

But like you said, altho we wouldn't do it, other people do. I think with the right mindset and preparing for everything and anything that they might encounter, will be the key for the entire family.

Archived