pre-booked excursion or just grab a cab?

ritarussell

I'm at a loss! We are planning our family cruise this November and we're not sure what to do in Ocho Rios. We have a 3 year old and a 6 year old. We would like to do some type of tour, something fun for the kids. (Don't want to do Dunns River Falls) along with a nice beach. Any recommendations?? Should we just grab a taxi in port or should we book with one of the tour operators I keep reading about. Thanks for any help!

Please don't take a risk and "just grab a cab" in Ochio Rios. Contact Belinda at her web site on [url]www.a-zjamaicaplanners[/url]. She has a one year old and knows what is good for a young family. Her drivers/guides are excellent. You can plan a half-day or full day tour. You will see and do much more for much less than on a ship's tour. I too will be back at Ochio and am planning & talking to Belinda now about what to do in port.
Bon Voyage

A relatively inexpensive alternative would be Island Village and Margaritaville. It's right next to the pier, so you can walk without being hassled too much. M'ville has a relatively shallow pool, hot tub, beach, etc. If you buy a soft drink you can get a wristband that allows you to use the beach and chairs, etc for free.

November will be our 4th trip to Jamaica. We did ship's tour to Dunn's River Falls and walked the stairs next to the falls, as I had a bad back. Tour also included Fern Gully and a plantation plus a shopping stop. It was a great 1st. timer tour. 2nd. time just walked to the Sanyo shopping center - don't recommend that for anyone due to the heckling on the walk there. 3rd. was at Mo Bay, so we went with A-Z to Rose Hall Mansion, Rose Hall Beach, shopping & Margaritaville. I don't recommend Margaritaville for the little ones as it is Rocking by mid-day IMHO. I am presently working on a private tour with Belinda, so I haven't made any decisions as yet. We too love the beach and I am a photographer, so like to explore the surroundings.
Bon Voyage

ritarussell: Margaritaville is a bar, but it also has the facilities I mentioned above. If it's too rowdy, you could just stay down at the beach, but the "facilities" would still be there - restroom, cold drinks, food, etc. The day we were there, there was a steel drum duo playing in the courtyard of Island Village [which is where M'ville is located] and so we sat for a while and listened to that. Oh, I didn't mention that the pool has a waterslide - maybe not for the little one, but I bet the 6yo would like it! Adults like it, too! We just found it very relaxing, and there were people there with little ones. It just depends on what's going on and what you tolerate. At any rate, it's close enough and "safe" enough that you can do it for just an hour or so and then go back to the ship.

Thanks everyone for your help. We are probably going to go with Belinda. She is putting a tour together for us that includes Dolphin Cove, Mahogany Beach and a little sightseeing tour. I'm not too keen on my kids hanging out somewhere where it may be a little "rowdy". I'm going to suggest that some of the young and single crowd traveling with us try out Margaritaville because I know that they aren't interested in spending a lot for a tour.

Has anyone been to Mahogany beach?

• 4 weeks later...
Good choice. We too booked with a-zjamaicaplanners for our Custom excursion for a Laid Back tour at our port of call at Ochio Rios. We will visit Coyaba Gardens, Fern Gully, have a nice buffet lunch at the Ruins by the Fall and time to relax at Mahogany Beach for $45 inc. lunch pp. Have a great cruise.
Bon Voyage

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, We just took a tour with A-Z Jamaica Planners last Tuesday and it was great. Mickey, our guide was very informative and he customizes the tour to what you want to do. The tour consisted of the 3 of us and Mickey. We did Dunns River Falls early and avoided the crowds and lines. We also went to Fern Gully, a pottery factory (handmade), local shopping, and river tubing. I would highly recommend A-Z.

Archived