RCCL - Spring Break - will they change AO levels?

PattyW

I'm in the beginning stages of planning a Spring Break 2009 cruise. I'm looking at several lines, but the most likely candidates are Princess and RCCL.

I have two children, currently 5 and 2, but at the time of cruising will be 6 and 3. I know a lot can change in a year, but my little guy idolizes his big sister, and she dotes on him (most of the time). I know my son and he may very well refuse to go to AO if his sister won't be with him; likely because they were in the same age group on our last cruise.

Princess is fine because their age group is 3-7, but they will be split in AO.

I KNOW my daughter will have no issues with moving down a group (in fact, she told me on our last cruise that she doesn't want to move into the bigger kids groups because they did "too much running around, not enough crafts" - her words.

Would they move a child down a group on a busy Spring Break cruise? Are the chances better than 50/50? Does it help that they would be adding kids to the youngest age group (I assume there would be fewer preschoolers sailing during pricy Spring Break, when they could travel anytime)?

RCCI is quite strict with their ages and seeing it's spring break, and the ship will be loaded with families, the chances are remote they'll allow kids to jump groups. The groups will probably be pretty large to begin with, and they really can't just allow kids to be jumping groups with so many families on board. If it weren't spring break, you might have a little better chance to change groups, when there aren't as many kids on board, but for busy family cruises, the chances are probably difficult at best.

What month? March or April?

So many parents ask if their "mature 3 year old" can move up ;) that I bet they would allow your 6 year old to move back. On our April FOS cruise there couldn't have been more than 5 kids in the 3-5 year old AO group.

It seems like kids have a better chance of being together when the parents asks if the older one can move back, not younger one move up.

All you can do is ask. :D

The amount of kids in AO is going to depend on many variables. The ship itself. The itinerary. The length of the cruise.

Well it would be March 28th, so kind of March & April. I can tell it's still prime Spring Break time - the 3rd and 4th passengers are $699 apiece. Ouch.

I have to see if the in-laws will do RCCL - the Liberty is doing a nice Eastern route with San Juan (which I've never been to) and skipping St. Thomas - which I've been to too many times to count.

Archived