Just off AOS...things a bit different

jfer873

As I posted before I was on the 17th -24th cruise. I just changed my selection of beer no biggie. Our waiter Tyrone and his team was exceptional. I sat at a table for 10 only one night did we have all seats taken. For the most part there was eight of us.

Tyrone remeber our names, and if we liked salt and pepper etc. Benjiman was our table's bartender. He was very prompt. The only negitive was the "chairhogs" were out in full force for the second sea day. the first was not as bad. IMHO there were a good number of first time cruisers, also our first day was at sea so many passengers slept in. I will download my photos of the ship soon

Happy Sailings!:)

This might be worth a separate post, but you mentioned the wait staff problem. DW and I have cruised the Grandeur twice with stellar service at our table for 6. Then we did the 10 day BoS with my SIL and we found the service as you did for our table for 3. Do you think the size of the table makes a difference? The other passengers on larger tables didn't have the same attitude from the same servers!

Maybe the lesson is to always sit at a larger table. Any thoughts?

Not sure about this either. We were at a table for 10 on the NOS and had the worst wait staff ever; changed to a table for 6 with only 4 of us ever there and had a wonderful staff.

The Grandeur huh? Didn't that ship used to sail out of Texas? Maybe I am wrong about that. If not, maybe southern hospitality had something to do with it?

Also just returned from AOS 2/24. We had a terrific time. Ports were great, weather was perfect, dining and cabin service was exceptional. I thought the shows were a bit corny and not all that good. On the other hand, the comedian was good and the ice show fabulous. Our 16 year old son hooked up with many other teens and had a blast. Would recommend this cruise to all. We did our own adventures out to the beaches, saved big bucks and were not locked into excursion times. New England weather stinks.....

So glad (Sorry?) to hear our recent Freedom of the Seas experience was not really our fault. Most bars did not have the beers, gins and bourbons that were commonly available on other RCCL cruises. They were "out." I was sent an on-line survey and told RCCL our story very nicely and clearly. Hope this gets worked out before next cruise. Thanks for your post.

As I posted before I was on the 17th -24th cruise. I just changed my selection of beer no biggie. Our waiter Tyrone and his team was exceptional. I sat at a table for 10 only one night did we have all seats taken. For the most part there was eight of us.

Tyrone remeber our names, and if we liked salt and pepper etc. Benjiman was our table's bartender. He was very prompt. The only negitive was the "chairhogs" were out in full force for the second sea day. the first was not as bad. IMHO there were a good number of first time cruisers, also our first day was at sea so many passengers slept in. I will download my photos of the ship soon

I'll be looking for Tyrone!:cool:

I apparently misunderstood the OP that there was NO beer at all. Whew!:rolleyes:

Anytime, anytime, anytime you have a problem with your waiter or ass't waiter, first go to the head waiter for your section. If there's no improvement, then go to the maitre 'd.

No excuse for any dining room staff to be giving service that poor. It's got nothing to do with the size of the table, either.

By the third night, if you're talking to the maitre 'd by then, it's time to ask to be moved to a new table if there's one available. I'd rather be in a lousy location with a great waiter/ass't waiter any day.

I'm really sorry you had a bad cruise.

I just got off the same cruise. The first sea day, people were using their towels to lay on. The food was only fair in the diningroom. We did not find any problems with the number of children. I don't even know how many were on the ship. We went to an upper level to lounge on sea days. Had a very bad experience with guest relations on the last day and have already sent out a letter. Found the ship to be very smokey. The shows were good. JR was the best.

Ok, I never said that the ship was completely out of beer, just that there was a serious shortage, as well as with some of the other alcohols. I have no problem with children in the pools, but diapered ones....not cool. Last Feb. on Adventure, same week, a diapered child was in the solarium pool and the diaper gave way when the child had a BM...result, immediate closing of the pool.....one obnoxious family ruined the pool for pretty much the day. Although it was a port day I was not getting off as I had been there done that and wanted to spend the day enjoying the pool.

As for the the gift, not a biggie either however just wanted to be sure that people do not get there hopes up.....if you read around it is a some do some don't as far as receiving it.

I have had a table for two numerous times and have never had an experience as we did. We did speak to the Headwaiter but things never improved and there were no other tables of two to move to. We have also been at large tables as well and have had issues and have had wonderful experiences.

As for how the ships are stocked, they are not generally stocked by local suppliers. The goods are brought over specifically to St. Thomas and Puerto Rico for the ships. This from good friends that I have known for years and are or have, worked on the ships. The problem with this is that affects their pay as they are not paid on a salary based on alcohol sold. It is not a consistent salary for the "little people".

If all that are being cirtical of the post woudl read I never said the trip was awful just.....different. The issues are minor and the trip was great. Weather was great, did a little geocaching on the islands, two of the shows were great, and if I remember the ice show was fun...did not go to it this time as I had already seen it. The quest was hysterical as there was great energy, and all of the "explorer academy" events we went to were fun albeit short! Would have loved to have been a bit longer in the line dancing.

I thought the first sea day was more crowded and more emotional (one fight).... I just don't see the importance of having a chair......... so much so that you are willing to fight over it!!

Also just returned from AOS 2/24. We had a terrific time. Ports were great, weather was perfect, dining and cabin service was exceptional. I thought the shows were a bit corny and not all that good. On the other hand, the comedian was good and the ice show fabulous. Our 16 year old son hooked up with many other teens and had a blast. Would recommend this cruise to all. We did our own adventures out to the beaches, saved big bucks and were not locked into excursion times. New England weather stinks.....

I agree about booking the cruises.... not only are they always cheaper and less crowded but the cruise excursions add restrictions to age and size that you do not have if you book directly with the tour operator!! I did think the impersonator/singer was a little weak!!

mgkdk - in aruba we took the city bus over to the beach by the Radisson - it costs something like $2.30 round trip, in Curacao we did splurge for a cab and went over to Playa Porto Marie - can't remember the cost but it was definitely cheaper if you had more than 3, the beach was unbelievably beautiful and we had brought our snorkeling gear and saw a lot of cool fish, also had an iguana walk by us on the beach! St. Martin we went to Orient beach, took a cab - I think it was $7 each, each way. Kind of crowded and lots of topless, still a great beach. St. Thomas, took the adventurous route - walked a ways and caught the local safari bus $2 each way out to Koki beach - fabulous snorkeling

Can't go wrong with the beaches, but don't miss any spots with your sunscreen, it's very intense. 2-3 hours at the beach is plenty, then back into towns for some shopping and a late lunch on the ship. This worked for us - have a great time!!!

Sorry to hear about your bad time! That beer thing would have made me (and all of our friends that were traveling w/us) crazy!! It's a cruise - there is NO excuse for running out of alcohol. I also hear you 100% about the port photos! We had the SAME EXACT problem a few weeks ago on the AOS. We were missing at least 6 or 7 photos taken in ports. It was kinda annoying that they just went "poof!". I agree w/what you said about the food also. I had an amazing time on the AOS a few weeks ago but the food definitely was the worst I've ever had. I also lost weight (but I'm not complaining!) that week. Hopefully your future cruises will be way better!

Laura

Archived