Question about price adjustments for all those who have gotten them before...

blackerbys17

I booked my cruise a couple of weeks ago with an online TA. (Not sure if you can say the name, but it was CruisesO... d o t c o m.) I had to pay in full at the time because the cruise departs on March 14th. Like many of you, I can't help but check the cruise prices often to see if they have gone down. Sure enough, just last week they went down quite a bit. Mind you, I got a past guest price when I booked but even the past guest price was cheaper than the one I got.

After doing some research here I decided to call my online TA and see if I could get a price reduction to match the new price. She told me I couldn't because it was too close to the cruise's departure date. They offered a cabin upgrade but that would have put me in a cabin underneath the galley which would have been noisy, no thank you. After letting her know I was very disappointed because I had heard of other TAs giving price reductions or at least OBC for the difference she contacted Carnival and told me should give me a $58 OBC. Not the difference in price, in fact, it was less than half but it was better than nothing so I took it.

I guess I'm wondering why they didn't reduce the price if others have done so after final payment? Should I be using another travel agent or maybe dealing with the cruise line directly? The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth so any suggestions on who I should be booking with for future cruises would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You should always check with your TA before you book, because some honor price drops and some don't. I booked my upcoming cruise directly with my Carnival PVP, and I have gotten 3 price drops ~ 1 before final payment and 2 after, resulting in some OBC.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise! :)

Being so close to your sail date, the commission has already been sent in the the TA's agency. In order for you to get your full OBC, the agency will need to send Carnival a check back for the amount of commission that they were overpaid (since the cruise rate went down - the commission went down).

As long as the check is sent back and in time, you will get the OBC. If the agency does not want to deal with it, then they just dont. You live and learn and choose to deal with another TA/ agency next time.

Carnival will always offer the TA/agency upgrades before they offer the OBC. Sometimes you can get a really nice upgrade this way.

Thanks so much for the responses. I just never thought about price reductions before I booked or I would have asked the online TA if they would honor them so I guess I am out of luck this one time and at least I got $58 in OBC, right?

For the next time, besides using a Carnival PVP, do any of you have suggestions as to what online TA is really good at honoring price reductions even after the final payment?:confused:

Thanks again!

For the next time, besides using a Carnival PVP, do any of you have suggestions as to what online TA is really good at honoring price reductions even after the final payment?:confused:

Thanks again!

I know several who are NOT good, unfortuntely, its against the rules here to mention any TAs good or bad, so no one can give you specific online TA names.

My rule of thumb is, unless they are also giving you a price break or some perks to book with them, you are better off booking directly with the cruiseline. I was offered a bottle of wine in my cabin for booking again with a online TA and it never came, they blamed the cruiseline and said they would send me the money. Took me 3 heated phone calls and I finally got $10 from the TA. I havent used them since, they didnt keep their word and I shouldnt have had to fight with them to do what they promised.

I think it depends on the TA, I used that same company and got a reduction every time I called, even when I called once for something else, she said, wow you know the price went down again, I'll deduct it, of course this was before my final payment, I was really tickled with her. That said, I usually just go with the cruiseline now, because you do get the best prices and it's easier than dealing with them through a 3rd party. jmo.

Carole

Yeah, that was one of the reasons I booked with an online TA, they offered me a $50 dining card for doing so, same price as Carnival would have charged me though. Of course, I did pay a $19.95 fee to book with them so that little "perk" is only worth about $30 when you consider that.

I guess I am wondering, if I would have used a Carnival PVP would they have lowered my cruise rate after my final payment to reflect the new lower fare? Anybody ever done that before, even if the difference was given to you in OBC?

Sorry about all the questions, I am too thrifty for my own good. :p

I guess I am wondering, if I would have used a Carnival PVP would they have lowered my cruise rate after my final payment to reflect the new lower fare? Anybody ever done that before, even if the difference was given to you in OBC?

Yes, you probably would have gotten OBC to reflect the lower rate.

I got 3 price drops on my Valor cruise after I booked (with a PVP). 2 came AFTER final payment, so I got OBC for both of them. I now have $70 OBC per person waiting for us on the Valor! :D

Sounds like I'll have to use a PVP next time. They did give me some OBC, $58 but the price difference was more. That's OK though, I'll make it up elsewhere. Instead of booking my Atlantis tour through Carnival I just got a room next door at the Comfort Suites for the day that will give me access to Atlantis. Pricey but about $60 cheaper than if I would have used Carnival and I still get a room to use for the day. I'll have to drink my OBC, what a pity, lol! :rolleyes:

Thanks to all for your suggestions!

Okay, I'm new to this site and am still learning the lingo. I'm assuming a PVP is a personal vacation planner correct? And a TA is an online travel agent?

I used Travelocity to book my cruise and had no problem getting the price drops applied back to my method of payment even after it was paid in full. The lady who helped me said it was up to the discretion of Carnival as to whether or not it's honored.

Archived