Rome...where to stay?

I recommend that you stay in the Pantheon area. There's lots of atmosphere & it is very centrally located. Last year we stayed at the Albergo del Sole al Pantheon & loved it. However the price has substantially increased this year. I'll be going back this fall & am staying at the Santa Chiara. Some other hotels in the area are the Albergo Del Senato, The Pantheon Hotel, & The Grand Minerve. I suggest that you check them out on Trip Advisor & see if any of them interest you.

Snakebitten,

Depending on your budget, there are literally thousands of hotels in Rome, from 3 room (more like B&B in my opinion but they are called hotels) to Hiltons and Best Westerns with 100's of rooms to renting apartments. I started looking at hotels North of Termini, but with the dollar doing so poorly, they soon went out of my range. Then I found Atahotel Villa Pamphili near the Vatican and they have a shuttle, but alas their price went sky high too. I complained on this board about the prices so much I alienated a few folks, but one very nice person posted this website

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/guest.htm and I was totally amazed. These aren't the Hilton's or Best Western's, but they look clean and they are very affordable. I chose the Domus Aurelia near the Vatican because they had a balcony, elevator, and even replied that I could smoke in the garden or on our balcony. They were very helpful in their email response. With the exchange right now, the room is $113 per night. I missed seeing the Vatican in '98 when I was in Rome, so wanted to be sure and see it this time, and the Hop on/Hop off bus stops at the Vatican so plan to catch it there and ride around Rome.

I like www.Venere.com as they have a map showing where the hotels are in relation to other sights, the www.Expedia.com for the photos and actual rooms, then I go to www.tripadvisor.com to see what the reviews say. It takes a little time to do the research, but it's fun too. Then once you've found a place you like, do a google search and see if they have their own website, sometimes the hotel rates are better if you contact the hotel directly, but Venere is usually a pretty good price and you don't pay up front like expedia or travelocity.

Good luck and have fun planning, then taking your trip.

Gosh......there are tons of recommendations on this board !!! Try doing a search with they keywords ROME HOTEL and the posts of only those will come up so you don't have to weed thru all the others.

We stayed 2 nights near the Spanish Steps at Hotel Mozart. Very nice 3 star. Walking to most sites. Restaurants and shopping right there. Also had a bunch of cruisemates at Hotel Golden. Slightly cheaper and one less "star" but still a good option.

Good luck.

We stayed at Bellesuites off of Via ****onale in the Via Firenze area. It was about a 10 min walk to Termini but there is a Metro stop around the corner at the Piazza Repubblica which is only about a 2 min walk...there were also nice restaurants, shops, ATMS, Mc Donald's, a pharmacy, etc. all right there as well. The hotel only has about 6-8 rooms so we had very personal attention & the staff was extremely helpful & friendly. They offer a light breakfast & cappuccinos every morning on a patio, the rooms were clean, free internet was available & there is an elevator. I found the pricing to be more reasonable than other areas & the room was equivalent to other rooms I've stayed at in other areas of Rome in the past. We would stay there again.

As of yet, I cannot recommend the hotel that we have chosen for our stay this summer. However, I have read many wonderful reviews of the hotel and the prices were reasonable for a Deluxe room (more space than a Classic size room). It's the Best Western Hotel Canada, family owned and near the subway, train and with-in walking distance of some landmarks.

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?iata=00158210&promoCode=&corpID=&propertyCode=98058

I have spent weeks researching, checking prices, sending emails and even booking some of the places.

I had a booking at a very popular B&B, and then received an email that there had been an error with their booking system, they had overbooked the inn and I needed to cancel my reservation through the booking system. I was very upset, felt defeated and so had to start over with the search. :(

GOOD LUCK!!! :rolleyes:

agabbymama - Because of your recommendation, I booked the Casamica B&B for one night pre-cruise in Civitavecchia. I hope it was a wise choice. The Traiano was full and the other two hotels were too expensive for the area.

Sea Island Lady,

Oh I hope the Casamica is as good as it looks. I'm envious, I really wanted to stay there. But my friend and I just didn't want to be going back and forth to Rome on the train, wasting at least 3 hours per day of our stay in transit.

I haven't stayed at Casamica, but from their photos and the location on the sea, it looks lovely. And Patricia & Germano look like such a nice young couple. And she was so friendly in the emails we sent back and forth. Then we thought about doing the last night there, but we felt too much hassel to change hotels mid-stream.

Be sure and post on your return if everything was as nice as it looks. There were only a couple of reviews, but they were definitely favorable. Have a great time!

Yes, I read some great reviews (and for the longest time, I thought you had stayed there). Not until after I booked, did I realize that you had never been to the B&B and I also found some unfavorable reviews.

Here are those reviews:

http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/BBCasamica-Civitavecchia-16591/reviews/

http://www.hosteltraveler.com/listings/hostel_reviews_traveler_ratings.php?dest=Casamica+Bed+And+Breakfast&searchregion=Civitavecchia&subcontinent=Italy&PHPSESSID=9d57d0cb1307977ab8054d3b9aeec092

Almost makes you wonder if the inn has changed hands!

We figured for one night at 72 euro, how bad can it be. :eek: We receive breakfast, a ride to the port and to the train station if needed.

I will be sure a post about the experience. If it is good, then Casamica stands to benefit from the review. If the experience is not good...:eek:

BTW - I don't think that the Inn is on the sea, but has a slight view of the sea - over the highway, from it's hilltop location. ;) Also, I think I just figured out that the inn has no air conditioning. I can't find it listed anywhere. If this is the case, my family is going to kill me! :(

Sea Island Lady

I am so sorry, if I gave the impression I had stayed here. I had made reservations, but then cancelled them.

I don't quite understand the mixed reviews either, unless as you say, it has changed hands.

I know it wasn't right on the beach, but from the terrace you can see the sea, and it wouldn't be a terrible hike to the water.

I think you are right that they don't have air conditioning. I'm going in October and right on the water, so I wasn't concerned with a/c.

I hope it works out well!

Ugh!!! No air in early June. I guess I'd better write the owners and ask them. Perhaps if the inn is high up and just off the sea, we will not need air. The only problem is that the rooms appear to open up from the terrace, so the only way to get a breeze, would be to leave your doors open. Not very safe. :eek:

I checked my emails and the name of the proprietors is the same as in the reviews.

We stayed in a B&B in Parioli, near stazzione Euclide, back in July.

The area was lovely, the B&B very comfortable and in a very quiet street 2 doors from the Korean embassy.

I would not recommend this area however as it is quite hilly and you need to add extra time whenever you go out to travel back into Rome ( for example walk to Euclide, train to Flaminia, metro to station near your destination) Taxis were also a problem because if you book one they start the meter from where they leave to pick you up (I checked and it is normal practice and quite legal). We took a taxi to Gallerie Borghese and it cost 7.50 Euros with 3 euros on the meter when we started off. On the way back we picked up a driver at gallerie Borghese and he quoted 10 euros to take us back to the B&B, pick up our luggage, and then drive us to Termini. He quoted 120 euros to take us to the B&B, pick up the luggage and drive us to Civitavecchia to join the cruise and as the car was a lovely Roll Royce ( although a little old) we jumped at the offer and arrived at the ship very relaxed and refreshed.

It was not until the last day that we could figure out the bus routes map we had purchased and on the last evening caught a bus to a restaurant called Gustos and then caught the bus to return later in the evening.

David

Gosh......there are tons of recommendations on this board !!! Try doing a search with they keywords ROME HOTEL and the posts of only those will come up so you don't have to weed thru all the others.

We stayed 2 nights near the Spanish Steps at Hotel Mozart. Very nice 3 star. Walking to most sites. Restaurants and shopping right there. Also had a bunch of cruisemates at Hotel Golden. Slightly cheaper and one less "star" but still a good option.

Good luck.

That's a great suggestion, if the search engine was working. It's been down for 3 days. Can't really look anything up when it says "search is down"

Well, it sure isn't working on my computer. As soon as I click on "search" the window opens and says "search is temporarily down". It doesn't open anything.

That's really weird!

I have been doing searches all yesterday and today. :confused: Just not on the Advanced site. Here is the link to my search on Rome Hotels today.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=9144466

Another (and perhaps easier) way to do a search, is to put in a simple command and add Cruise Critic to a Google search. :)

Example: Rome Hotels Cruise Critic

• 3 weeks later...

I was having a problem with the search too. Does anyone know if any or all of the hotels offer luggage storage once you check out? We want to tour the Vatican before leaving for the ship but we'll have to check out of ours rooms I'm sure..

Thanks

I just stayed last weekend at Hotel Teatropace, a sweet little hotel one block from Piazza Navona. Read my review on TripAdvisor:

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d504558-r14222718-Hotel_Teatropace-Rome_Lazio.html

Last fall I stayed at two different hotels pre- and post-cruise, the Hotel Paba:

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d524376-r11197538-Hotel_Paba-Rome_Lazio.html

and Albergo del Senato:

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d191099-r11297884-Albergo_del_Senato-Rome_Lazio.html

Hi

I also suggest the Pantheon area. We stayed at The Best B&B Pantheon. It was fantastic. Great breakfast with extra snacks to toss in your backpack and walking distance to the Pantheon, (very very close) the Roman Forum, Colloseum, Trevi Fountain. We did this all in one day walking from there. The owners also have a B&B near the Vatican, but we wanted closer to all the sights.

Here's their website http://www.bestbb.it/

My only thing is that they have some erotic, yet tasteful art on the wall so be warned if you have young children with you. You will see the black and white pictures on the website. We liked it. Our friends also had one of the rooms with the whirlpool and enjoyed soaking after a long day of walking.

They get favorable reviews on tripadvisor and 4 others on our roll call stayed here and liked it as well.

Tara

Archived