Sotos since Ivan??

vanclan

Since I don't want to pay outrageous phone bills to make a reservation, and Soto's is still without e-mail, if I cannot get a hold of them before we leave in 25 days :D , do you think they will have availabilities, and if so, will they be standing by the docks with a sign trying to find "takers"?

Talk about a run-on sentence! :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke with Kerry at Soto's Cruises again. The boats are finee and the business is still ready to rock and roll - all they need is tourists.

They still do not have Internet access - she mentioned trying to borrow someone's computer to answer emails - I let her know she has no idea how many emails will be waiting.

I'm not sure what will happen with people who made, or tried to make, reservations on the Internet since Ivan, but you can always call. I think on my phone card it is about 28 cents/minute - probably less with newer cards.

I'm looking forward to going with them on November 11th.

http://www.sotoscruises.com/

I finally broke down & called Soto's. I spoke with Kerry and made our reservation just in case the ship can make it.

They still have no e-mail service, and she said they are guessing that right now they have at least 50,000 e-mails waiting! I told her she should start with a quick "delete all" :eek: :eek:

You need a credit card to hold the reservation, but you must pay upon arrival either cash or trav cheques. No cc accepted as payment. They only bill your cc for "no-shows", and i believe she said that they still only bill 50% of the charge. Anyhow, for $24 you can swim, snorkel and greet those stingrays! We're looking forward to it!

I made a reservation on the internet before Ivan hit. I wonder if they still have records of everyone who booked before Ivan?

Kerry does have a reservation book with existing reservations, but it was in a different physical location. I asked about an existing reservation, which she happened to remember because it was for 23 people (I made it for 24!) I guess the question is, did you receive confirmation from them on your reservation?

Even if you call, she may not be able to confirm on the spot, but she can take your information and check.

Actually, if anyone else calls, you might ask if they will be trolling the tender area once cruise ships are allowed back in. I forgot to.

Thanks for the info zydecocruiser. I received a confirmation after I booked, so we should be okay. I booked it long before Ivan was in the picture. We'll be looking for Sotos when we get into port. Have a great cruise everyone!!

FYI - yesterday when I called & booked a reservation, she gave me directions on where we need to walk in order to be picked up. I don't think they are trolling around the docks. They're not holding up any signs, so it's best to call them to confirm your reservation and find out where you need to meet the van!

Lauren, Cayman is an overseas dependency of the UK, so I doubt your plan would cover it. You need to check your cell company's website. And be advised: not all nationwide plans are available throughout the US. Some cover Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands (and may be strong enough to reach some of the British VI, like Tortola, as well), and some don't cover the Florida Keys.

If you need good cell coverage, check out your plan now.

I called Soto's using my husband's Tracfone which has prepaid minutes. It didnt cost me anything and I only used up 4 minutes. The woman there told me they are trying to get their computer back up and as of January they will have a different excursion schedule so I should wait till January before I book an excursion for February.

I called Soto's using my husband's Tracfone which has prepaid minutes. It didnt cost me anything and I only used up 4 minutes. The woman there told me they are trying to get their computer back up and as of January they will have a different excursion schedule so I should wait till January before I book an excursion for February.

Thanks for checking on this. WE have talked previously and are on the same cruise as you. I was also trying to book with SOTO's in Grand Cayman. I hope that we won't get closed out of tours by waiting until Jan.

I just booked with Trevor Hudlin in Jamaica to go to Dunns River Falls and water tubing so at least we have one excursion planned.

Hi JodyMc-

I too am a little worried about being closed out if I wait till January. I was thinking of maybe booking with someone else as backup but then I'm worried about cancelling out with another tour operator. I dont want any problems getting a refund. I checked another tour operators website and they want a deposit on your credit card and I don't feel comfortable with giving a deposit. With Soto's you have to give your credit card also but that is just to hold your reservation, not make a deposit. So I don't know what to do. I told the woman I spoke with at Soto's that we need the reservation for Presidents Week but she didnt seem to think there would be a problem. I hope not.

Lauren

I had a reservation with Soto's for Oct 1st. Our cruise, of course, did not end up going to GC. I had sent them an e-mail upon my return, saying that I was sure they wouldn't be reading this for some time, but that we were extremely disappointed to miss GC and that we were praying that all at Soto's were well and without too much damage.

Received an e-mail from Kerry at Soto's this afternoon thanking me for my concern and letting me know that their boats did not receive any damage, all their people were ok and that they are ready to resume business.

I had given them my cc # to hold the res. It was never charged, as I was sure it wouldn't be. These people really seem to be a class act and I hope I can use them in the future.

My concern is that I made a reservation back in September for February and gave my credit card number but never received a confirmation. I was just told by e-mail that they are going to have new rates. So does this mean I have a reservation or don't I since I never received a confirmation?

Archived