Sotos since Ivan??

vanclan

I was wondering the same thing. We're scheduled to visit Grand Cayman on November 4th, providing they allow visitors then. I emailed them before Ivan hit, and asked that they email me once they're back in business and let me know how they're doing.

It may be a while before any of us hear anything. They're still working on getting their power, water and phones restored.

Cantwait,

I just checked, and nothing has hit my card from Soto's. You are right, they use your cc to hold your reservation and then you pay at the time of the excursion.

Of COURSE.......just like most hotels......the CC is just used for a 'hold'.

Think about it, if they charged your CC then you cancelled or they had to cancel for whatever reason, they would have to go back & credit all those CC's.

Edited to add: Ya think they want bad publicity on the internet? No way.

Dolly

Well Dollycruise, because I was planning to reserve for over 20 people, and leave my credit card to do this, I felt much better talking to someone and asking certain questions..so the phone bill was my doing..Live and learn, but I felt much better after talking to a LIVE person!

Well, I'm not booked with Soto's cruises, but called them for grins. They are there and the boats are fine. They said they will be ready whenever the cruise ships return.

They indicated that the sandbar is still there as are the stingrays and that both Soto's cruises and the stingrays will be delighted to welcome the cruise ships whenever the government allows. They want and need the business/food (depending on which group you ask).

There was a fair amount of damage to the reefs from the Ivan.

They don't currently have email which is why they aren't replying and know that that is a problem.

There are still electricity outages and quite a bit of damage that needs to be repaired/cleaned up before anything like an island tour could happen - maybe by next month, but the lady on the phone really had no information on any kind of a firm date. But once again, they want and need the cruise ships and tourists to return ASAP.

I think $25 for a 3 minute call is outrageous - that is more like what a cruise ship would charge! Still, I wasn't sure what the cost would be, so used a PhoneCard (ATT). Based on the minues left on the phonecard after, it came out to about 28 cents a minute.

So if anyone wants to reach out and touch them, the number is:

(345) 945-4576

but you might want to use a Phonecard to know what the maximum damage could be and then talk away.

Gosh Bill, I sure should of used a calling card. I am counting the days down now. I sooo need a vacation!!

Why don't you join us in Jamaica at the Sunset resort? I heard there was pretty good snorkeling there. I hope so.

Zydecodruiser:

Thanks for letting me know what is going on with them. I didnt know if they still had all their boats or even they were still in business. Well I'm glad they are. I guess as soon as their e-mail is up I will hear from them.

Lauren

Guess I should proofread my posts, first ??? Nah...

Just for the record, it was a prepaid phone card (from Sam's Club or Costco) I used, so I knew it couldn't go over $20, but I could have talked for over a hour on that as it turns out. The calling cards (do they still have those), like the phone company used to love to send out, might be one of the more expensive ways to call.

Heck, I might join ya'll on Soto's if we stop in GC.

I've thought about Sunset. I guess it depends on whether or not Grand Cayman is a go. For Mobay, I'm leaning towards a custom(?) - should be for $30/hr - snorkel trip with Sea World in the morning, then wanted to try Pork Pit for lunch,

http://www.10best.com/Montego_Bay/Restaurants/Caribbean/?businessID=61892

perhaps desert next door and then maybe Sunset if I don't explode. Looking at pictures of Sunset, it looks like they might have good snorkeling. I have my own snorkeling equipment, so if GC is on the agenda, I may just try off the beaches by the Pork Pit.

There is always the chance of a hangover factor to consider, so I might just end up rehydrating/redrinking, eating and snorkeling all day at Sunset.

Thanks for taking the time and expense to call Sotos (especially since you are not even booked with them.) This is the first contact that anyone has reported having with them. It is so good to know that their boats and people are OK. We're HOPING for the first week in November....and knowing they and Nativeway are both operational is encouraging! Thanks again!

Archived