New to Carnival - many questions!

mmcruise

DS and I are planning a quickie Carnival cruise right after school gets out. It's a 5-day to Canada, from right here in NYC, so very easy in and out. It will be lots of firsts for me:

1. First time on Carnival (Victory)

2. First time without a balcony - only interiors were available.

3. First time in a 1A room. I chose the stateroom because it has two tiny little portholes but it has one twin and an upper berth. Good for us without DH.

4. First time sailing from my "home port"

5. First time on a non-Caribbean itinerary

6 And most important - first cruise with just me and DS, who's 5 and will just have finished Kindergarten the day before.

Many questions for all of you experienced Carnival-ites:

1. Camp Carnival age group will be 2-5. He'll be 6 in September and is very articulate and smart. I'm concerned about him being with 2 year olds still in diapers and getting bored. Anybody have experience with the "older end" in CC? I don't think he'll be there that much; he'll be my dinner date and we'll want to hang out every day but a couple of hours to go to the gym and read a book would be welcome.

2. It's our first time in an upper berth room and having seen photos of it, he's expressed that he wants to sleep in the "bunk." Anybody have a child in the 5-7 years range sleep in one of these? It appears to be not as high as an actual bunk, from the photo, but maybe 4 feet or so off the floor. Are there guardrails? He's so excited to do it and if I feel safe, I might let him. He'd think it was a big adventure.

3. Anybody ever do the Canada route? How cold is it in June? We're beach folks but chose this cruise more for the overall experience, price and convenience than the itinerary.

4. Did I read correctly that Carnival provides robes and toiletries in-room? What do they provide? Are there kid-size robes?

5. Anything else cool I should know about Carnival?

Thanks to all of you for your help!

What fun! I'm sure that will be a trip that he will remember for always.

1. I would put him in there at least at first and see what happens. There will probably be a good number of kids there at that time, so they will probably split up each group some and do some age-appropriate activities for each of them. My daughter didn't have a problem with it when she was 5, but she tends to play with younger kids anyway. If he really doesn't like it, you can speak to his counselors. They will pick up on it if he is bored, and they may accommodate you and move him up. It happens on rare occasions, though, so don't count on it.

2. There is a small guardrail--we've never had a problem with it. I think he'll be fine. And what fun!

3. I've been to Canada that time of the year, but not on the ocean. You will probably need a light jacket or sweater for evenings.

4. They do usually have robes and toiletries like shampoo and soap. Ask the cabin steward if they have kid-sized robes.

5. The Victory has a great water slide! I know there is an age limit, but I don't recall now what it is.

What great responses - and I see you have both RCCL and Carnival experience so you know what I'm comparing to.

I think I read that the slide has a 42" height limit or something - but I'll have to see if they have an age limit. Hope it's warm enough at least some of the time to enjoy the pool!

Enjoy the Voyager! We sailed on Mariner of the Seas last fall and love the Voyager Class.

1. All you can do is ask if he can be moved up. :) They did move up my friend's daughter to the 6-8 year old group so she could be her her brother and my older daughter. They said it would be a "trial". ;)

I have to say though. When my oldest had a chance to move up on a cruise (although she is very mature for her age) she wanted to go back to be with the younger group. The older group were doing things that at the time were no interest to her.

On our Carnival cruise, my friend's daughter and son were VERY intimidated by the 6-8 year old group. They kind of stayed to the sidelines for everything. When we walked past their dance party at the disco, we saw them standing back from everyone. My daughter was in the middle of the action, though. So if your son is outgoing and can throw himself into the action, then let him move up. :)

2. As adamsmom said there is a small guardrail. No I have never let me kids sleep up there because they roll around like crazy kids in their sleep. But if you think he'll stay put, then go ahead and try it.

Pending on the slide, the height requrements are different. If the slide empties out into a pool, then it's 48". If the slide doesn't empty out into the pool, then it's 42". There is a guard at the top of the slide who measures everyone.

They do have robes and a basket of toiletries. I have never seen kid sized robes though.

Carnival has a Build A Buddy Program. I think it's up to $29 now. But they do this at Camp. It's like a build a bear but the animals are dressed in sailor suits and get to take home a camp carnival t-shirt. This makes a great souvenir.

Have a great cruise! I have never done a Canadian cruise so I have no advice there.

Hi! I can completely relate. I took my children alone (DH stayed home) on this cruise in August 2005, then we repeated it with dad the next summer. The first trip, my kids were 2 and 6. But, my son turned 5 on our first cruise.

1. In general, they split the 2-5 into two groups, with the 2 and 3 year olds together and the 4 and 5 year olds together. The real difference, IMHO, between the 2-5s and the 6-8s is that the 2-5 group NEVER leaves Camp Carnival, whereas the 6-8s have Camp supervised activities all over the ship (dance class taught by one of the dancers in the disco, attending the main production shows in the evening, etc.)

2. DS has been sleeping in the bunkbed from our first cruise. We've never had any problems. As others have said, there is a guardrail. I just strictly enforce the no-fooling-around-on-the-ladder rule.

3. Not sure about June, both our trips were in August. Honestly, on all our sea days you would have thought we were in the Caribbean - sun shining, reggae band playing, the whole bit.

4. I do not believe there are kid sized robes. The toiletries are "sample" packets: usually toothpaste, razors, lotion, etc. There is liquid soap and shampoo in dispensers in the shower.

To be honest, the Victory is my favorite in terms of decor: all blues and greens.

As for the interior cabin, our cruise to Canada was my first experience with one, too. I decided to go with it because I was terrified being in a balcony alone with the kids. I wasn't so much worried about through the night, but I had to take a shower sometime, and short of having them sit in the bathroom door...I just knew it would make me really uneasy. It worked out fine. I realized how much more time I spent "out" among the other passengers, rather than hanging out on my own balcony - it was kind of nice.

If you want suggestions about what to do in the ports, I'm happy to share our experiences.

Although I've been in NY harbor on many different boats on many different occasions, sailing out of NYC on a cruise ship is an amazing experience. Just truly incredible. Our roll call got together on the funnel deck at sailaway, and it was the best! Someone brought tiny containers of bubbles for the kids, and everyone had a blast!

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions. Happy cruising!

cruisinmama06 - Thanks for all the great info on everything. Build a Bear - wow! The pressure will be on if they publicize it a lot. Every time we walk past it in the mall, he asks if we can do it. Maybe I'll finally give in.

I&Ms Mom - what an amazing thing - it sounds like you had exactly the same experience I'm planning. Love these boards; you helped me feel so much better about the bed, the camp, everything. Honestly, I felt ok about booking the interior cabin on this cruise for just that reason. The balcony would also scare me when I'm alone with him all week. Yes, any insights on in-port activities would be great. I'm also going to check the Canada boards (thanks Karysa), but thought we might keep it pretty low key. I didn't plan to book any ship excursions unless you found a great one for kids.

And as far as sailing from NY Harbor, well, I work in Times Square and some of the windows in my office overlook the harbor. I can't tell you how many times I've sat in some boring meeting and heard the horn sound and watched some lucky people sail away and thought - wow, I wish I could do that someday! Now I think I've finally found a way to make it happen.

Now, I have to figure out how to make it up to DH that we'll be gone on Father's Day. He says he doesn't mind - it's the week between school and day camp so it's the perfect time - but I still feel bad. We'll have to have an early celebration and make it really fun. He and my dad can spend Father's Day together...

Hi! Glad my response was helpful. :)

As far as activities is the ports, this is what we did:

St. John - we rented a car both times. The first time we drove to the coast with the caves that are only accessible at low tide. The second, we drove to St. Andrew's, where we had a lobster lunch.

If your son has any interest in "mucking around" on a beach, I think the caves would be a success, pending low tide works out timing wise. There's a little restaurant there (think more like cafeteria, but with outdoor seating) that had good clam chowder. The kids just loved exploring the beach and poking around.

The drive to/from St. Andrew's was on the long side, and to be honest, I didn't think the town itself was as quaint as I had been led to believe it would be (maybe my expectations were just too high). It wasn't a bad day by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't think I'd repeat it, and it wouldn't be the first thing I'd recommend.

Halifax - The first time, we went to the Maritime Museum, took the Tugboat ride in the harbor, and had a nice lunch at an outdoor restaurant on the harborfront. The second time, we rented a car and drove to Peggy's Cove, then on to Lunenberg for a nice outdoor lunch.

They were both good days, and I would recommend either one. I think it just depends on what you think sounds better. The Maritime Museum was maybe more of a hit with us than it would be with others as DS is very interested in all things relating to the Titantic. There's a nice playground right near the museum (right on the "boardwalk") that we spent a fair amount of time at, also. At the same time, Peggy's Cove is very scenic (if mobbed with tourists!) and the drive to Lunenberg was very nice, as well.

Just as a program note: both times we sailed out of St. John, there was a special treat. So if you can, try to be outside on the port side of the ship as the lines are thrown off the dock and you begin to move away.

And, yes, the plan is to bring them along on the Baltic cruise. I've worked out what I think they'll/we'll enjoy in each port. We'll go it alone (with the help of CC, TripAdvisor forums and good old Rick Steve:p ) except in St. Petersburg, where we've reserved a guide for two days. I'll be sure to post a trip report when we get back.

Any other questions, I'm happy to do what I can to help!

Hi there, I live in Saint John, New Brunswick --- and have been to Halifax many, many times --- so if you have any other questions --- please just ask away.

"The Caves" at St. Martins are a wonderful place to visit with the children - depending on the tides. There is a lot of walking (you park right beside the beach --- but the caves are out quite a way) and they are quite spectacular to see...

I was just looking at the website (just type in Bay of Fundy Tides) and the schedule will pop up. I don't know what date you are sailing --- but low tide is around 12:15pm on June 26, 1:13 on June 27 and 2:13pm on June 28.

Although this is a beach --- you will probably find it too cold to swim (it never gets very warm) --- some of the braver soles will swim in August - but not in June.

Tracey

WOW! A Canadian cruise sounds fun--and different. I'm jealous!

RE: the bunk beds. My kids (now 5 and 7) have been sleeping in them for the last 2-ish years. My son has never had a problem with the little rail. It holds him just fine. My daughter, however, is a crazy sleeper so we always bring a collapsible bed rail which covers almost the entire length of the bed. So, we sleep better knowing she will not fall out.

Also, regarding the slides---it has been hit-or-miss with them. Sometimes the kids are deemed too short to use them, and other times no one enforces the rule. Just try it and see what happens.

We've been on the Carnival Glory, Elation, and Legend in the past few years, so if you have any questions, just ask!

CeleBrat

I'm sure I'll have more questions about Carnival and the ports as we get closer - but having the perspectives of experienced visitors and residents is so valuable. I went shopping today and found a dress for me and a jacket for DS - though it's 3 1/2 months away.

Cheers and happy Saturday all!

• 3 months later...

I've posted a review of our experiences, but everyone on these boards was so helpful. In Saint John, we wound up doing the horsedrawn trolley, City Market, and New Brunswick Museum. In Halifax, we did the Harbour Hopper, Maritime Museum and Pier 21. We enjoyed it all.

In the end, I wound up in a 1A with two beds on the floor (one twin, one sofabed) so my worries about the upper will have to wait for another cruise. We loved the portholes.

I think I'd do this route again but later in the season - we were freezing but still had a great time. The first afternoon, while we were still in NY, felt like a Caribbean cruise (except for the 59 degree water temperature in the pools-brr!), but after that, it was jackets and sweatshirts the whole way.

Thanks again for all your help!

Archived