Insurance Question

WestTxCruiser

We are sailing on the Conquest June 1st, fixing to make my final payment but need to get the insurance, we did not get any last year so I don't know what is adequate and what is not. I have been looking and comparing, can anyone help me with

How much coverage for Emergency Evacuation and Medical Expenses do you need or recommend?

Thanks for any input.

I've purchased Travelex for my last 3 cruises. The biggest reason I chose Travelex is because their medical insurance is "Primary". This means they pay first... for all medical / evacuation.

Policies that are secondary means that they expect any other insurance you have to pay first. The probelm is, that your insurance company likely expects the same of the travel insurances company and other insurance companies.

The last thing I want is two insurance companies having a pissing match on who has to pay first, in my time of need... or at anytime, really.

So I choose Travelex explicitly for this reason. A lot of the other companies are only secondary. You should be able to see that using Insuremytrip.com.

Their Medical / emergency evacuation is $50,000 I believe. That would be enough to get me back to the States for medical care. We're in our mid-40's and I believe the cost is $45 each.

We are sailing on the Conquest June 1st, fixing to make my final payment but need to get the insurance, we did not get any last year so I don't know what is adequate and what is not. I have been looking and comparing, can anyone help me with

How much coverage for Emergency Evacuation and Medical Expenses do you need or recommend?

Thanks for any input.

I also went through Travelguard. The rates for a familiy of four was very reasonable and if your children are 17 and under you don't necessarily have to pay any premiums for them depending on the coverage option you choose. How much coverage would depend on your personal needs and how much you're willing to go with or without.

Thanks for any input.

I to am trying to figure this all out. It is hard to understand what i am paying for but our ta wante like 60 per person .travel guard was 60 for all 4 of us. but i still not sure of who to go with.

Just as a thought for you to consider. When I got our policy (also thru insuremytrip) I made sure that they were the primary first and foremost. Then I asked myself "If I am on an excursion in the middle of nowhere and I have to have a local helicopter come get me, what would be the cost?" I opted for the plan with 500K medical evac. It may be overkill, but it was cheap enough and I will never have to worry on this trip!

I've purchased Travelex for my last 3 cruises.

Travelex is a great company to work with if you have a claim too. A couple years ago a girlfriend and I went on a cruise and our luggage never did show up all week. I think we paid $40.00 each for the insurance and Travelex didn't bat an eye at our $800 reimbursement.

Another great reason to read CRUISE CRITICS! I am mostly concerned with cancellation and we have great health and life insurance, so do you think we should purchase just that and if so would it be cheaper? Thanks for any info. I have found a WEALTH of information on this board!!!

Just as a thought for you to consider. When I got our policy (also thru insuremytrip) I made sure that they were the primary first and foremost. Then I asked myself "If I am on an excursion in the middle of nowhere and I have to have a local helicopter come get me, what would be the cost?" I opted for the plan with 500K medical evac. It may be overkill, but it was cheap enough and I will never have to worry on this trip!

Yeah, I think I have mine figured out now, I found one with $1,000,000 evacuation and it is primary. It's about $50 a person. I have read so many stories here lately on people who did not have insurance and had things happen, so it is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Another great reason to read CRUISE CRITICS! I am mostly concerned with cancellation and we have great health and life insurance, so do you think we should purchase just that and if so would it be cheaper? Thanks for any info. I have found a WEALTH of information on this board!!!

Your health insurance may not cover in a foreign country. I don't know if you can get it just for cancellation.

Yes, there is a WEALTH of info from this board. I love it.

There are very few health insurance policies in the USA that covers outside the USA.

I would not make a jump of faith in thinking so. Without actually seeing the wording in your policy, or making more than one phone call to the insurance provider, you should assume that your coverage does not extend outside the USA.

We got ours through our TA coverage was for 1 million:D. Medical Evac alone could be upwards of 50,000. By the time they get finished charging you for the air in the cabin as well as per inch of space used along with all the other charges Americans have to pay for I figure if I ever do need it I will be well covered.;)

Yeah, I think I have mine figured out now, I found one with $1,000,000 evacuation and it is primary. It's about $50 a person. I have read so many stories here lately on people who did not have insurance and had things happen, so it is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

I'm glad you got if figured out! I'm a bit on the paranoid side. Yes, I have a passport and yes, I took out cruise insurance. The insurance came out to $136 for the two of us. It was much cheaper than CCL at $100 per person, and covers way more than their policy does. I know a lot of people would argue the need for cruise insurance and a passport. To each his own. I'm not out to convert anyone. I just know what I need to feel comfortable that we will not have any nasty surprises. If someone disagrees, that is their right. I'm still going to do my own thing! I really felt it was important to get the insurer as the primary so I don't have to sit between two companies fighting over who pays what! I just want a safe, secure trip. I also got more evac coverage than is probably necessary. Okay, I can live with that. I'd rahter have too much than not enough! God forbid anyone ever actually needs their coverage, but at least I know if I need it, I got it! Same with the passports! Yes, we can travel on a BC and ID, but with a passport I would have no trouble getting back into the country if everything goes wrong! Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. That way you can enjoy yourself and never have to worry, no matter what happens! Enjoy your cruise!

The coverage I got covers $100,000 medical. It also covers $1,000,000 if I have an emergency evacuation. I just booked on Sunday, so I got the cancellation coverage as well. My brother passed away right before a Club Med trip that I had planned. Since Club Med has it's own insurance I was able to be reimbursed. Ever since then, I always make sure that I have cancellation coverage. You never know what life will bring you.

We always bought it thru the cruise line thinking we had to.... until I shopped a few years ago and found out there are great policies out there at a much better price. We've used insuremytripdotcom the last two cruises and for a family of 4 it's much more affordable with much broader coverage.

Thank goodness we've never needed it; but it is definitely peace of mind.

Archived