Venice Airport/Port and Transportation Questions (merged)

Marittima is a 10 minute walk to Piazzale Roma http://www.vtp.it/pages/comeRaggiungerci/comeRaggiungerci02.jsp

This is a link to the Venice Cruise Terminal website: http://www.vtp.it/

Directions: http://www.vtp.it/pages/comeRaggiungerci/dettaglio.jsp?idm=N9TJQI370QEBK450YX34KN08MM3PCGHM&iconaInfo=ico-raggiungerci

Other helpful sites: http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-marittima.htm

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Venice.htm

I would say that the fastest way, although not cheapest, is to take a water taxi from the airport to Lido,especially if you have a lot of luggage. There are water taxi booths at the airport and Venezia Taxi will shuttle you to the dock so that you don't have to walk. Does your hotel have a dock? Some hotels will arrange transportation for you.

Joan

There is usually a free shuttle bus from the port to Piazzale Roma. From there you can take a vaparetto (water bus) down the Grand Canal to St Marks. Alternatively it is a lovely walk - follow the signs to "Rialto" first to see the bridge and from there to "San Marco". There are signs everywhere but if you do get lost it does not matter much, you just get to see a different part of Venice and at the next bridge there is sure to be a signpost.

We were in Venice this summer on a cruise (5 of us). We spent an extra day in Venice to unwind and had an early flight the next day. By that point in our trip we were spent and the thought of lugging luggage on the vapretto to the bus station and then a long bus ride to the airport just wasn't our thing. I sprang for a water taxi and we were at the airport in about 15 minutes (we left from near the Rialto Bridge - the port is even closer to the airport) It was the best $100 euros I have ever spent (not to mention the reduction in my stress level).

Good luck!:)

We have a 11:35 flight from Marco Polo airport. We pull in at 7 am. Can we take a bus to MP airport? Can we make it? There are five of us. Thanks!!!!

WOW, that's cutting it close. You say you pull in at 7:00 am, but that doesn't mean the ship will be ready for debarking that early. You may not be off the ship for an hour or more. You would have to take the shuttle to Piazzale Roma, then catch the airport bus from there. Not exactly sure how long all that will take, but you should be at the airport 3 hours prior for an International flight.

You might want to do the expensive water taxi, just to be on the safe side, I'm sure it would be faster than the buses.

Good Luck!

I asked this question on another related post but am still looking for an answer.

We too plan on making a morning flight out of Marco Polo and my question is how close are the Taxis from where you pick up your luggage at the port? Are they over at the Piazalle Roma or near where you exit the ship? Thanks in advance.

49er

I asked this question on another related post but am still looking for an answer.

We too plan on making a morning flight out of Marco Polo and my question is how close are the Taxis from where you pick up your luggage at the port? Are they over at the Piazalle Roma or near where you exit the ship? Thanks in advance.

49er

Taxis are just few metres from where you pick up your luggage. Piazzale Roma is out of the port.

We had similiar arrangements last May on a HAL ship, we had an 11:30 flight back to JFK. We paid for the ship transfer which we normally dont do but we figured that was our best shot to get there on time. We were called off the ship in one of the earliest groups and made the airport with plenty of time to spare. However, the line to check in was huge, we got in line right away. Then had time to kill before the flight. I'm not sure how many cabs are at the ship terminal, we didnt see any but maybe they were outside another door. We followed directions to the HAL shuttle after we got luggage.

The airport is not huge, you should be OK

THis year we are disembarking Rome on Princess and we have a flight at 11:15, we bit the bullet again and bought ship transfers

They sock it to you for these transfers, cabs are cheaper but I dont want to take a chance on a cab shortage

Just make sure the front desk knows your flight time and verify you have an early call off the ship

Taxi from port to MP should be easy & quick. There is a taxi rank right outside the port building and last year we paid 27 euros for the ride. Make sure you go to the official rank and do not use unofficial taxi touts who will stop you and offer taxi ride as you walk out of the building. They will charge rates way over the official taxi rates.

i've booked an 11:30 am departure from marco polo after a 7 am arrival. i was assured by many that it was absolutely do-able. apparently the customs folks in venice really have their act together and can get you out quickly. i'll just make sure to bring proof of our early flight so we'll get the right luggage tags. the bus ride from piazzale roma (shuttle there or 10? min walk) is supposed to be 20 mins. i'd be astonished if you actually needed to be at the airport 3 hrs in advance. i did that one time for my flight out of barcelona, and my airline's ticketing counter didn't open for another hour and a half. 2 hrs in advance should be fine.

Piazzale Roma is a short walk from the port, or you can take the shuttle that takes you there. The bus station is right there and buses leave every 15 minutes or so. You would have to get off the ship as soon as possible to do this. The bus ride was about 30 minutes to Marco Polo Airport. I think we paid about 3 euros each for the bus. Good luck!!

browneyes7:)

BrownEyes- can you or any other poster give me a little guidance about theother direction- Marco Polo to our ship, the RCI Splendour. We have cruise line arranged transfers, but I'm not sure what to expect. Several posts on another site say that the Piazzale Roma is a madhouse of shuttles with poor markings and people pushing and shoving. Do we encounter this if RCI has to fetch us at the Airport and transport us? Will they pick us up at the Airport and then put us out their to find a shuttle ? If so, is it as bad as they say - and is there any better way to cope?

I hate to start off my cruise with stress and confusion- would like some idea what awaits us on the trip in- we should arrive around 11 am and I have no idea what to prepare for.

Our TA is recommending we take a taxi from the airport to our hotel pre-cruise. We are a family of 5.(2 adults 3 Children.) I have concerns taking a taxi because we don't speak the language. We have no idea how much they will charge. Does anyone know of a taxi service in Venice? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

The Alilaguna Blue Line boats go directly from the airport to Lido. Price is 12 Euros per person and the trip takes about an hour. They have a website with boat schedules, etc. http://www.alilaguna.it/

Is Lido a hotel? Do you know if the blue line boat goes directly from the airport to the cruise terminal or do you have to get off at San Marco Square?

Archived